Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 15:22   #1

Navionics

Computer issue. New Asus laptop, loaded Fugawi software using Navionics charts. All sweet and working for about 4 hours during which we loaded other software (Office) and My Documents . Now Fugawi will not recognize the GPS input. Tried different ports, different mouse, reloaded, restarted etc. No Go.
Any suggestions??
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:38   #2

Re: Navionics

If it is a windows pc, check the device manager / ports. See if any of the ports have a caution ! I think it shows up in yellow.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:49   #3

Thanks but we checked that. All ports OK.
Old 01-03-2012, 17:04   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Reinstall the Fugawi soft ware maybe ?? I would try that first ! just a thought Connie and Bob
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 17:33   #5

Thanks, but tried reloading already.
Old 01-03-2012, 19:14   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

then I would strip it ALL out and start over I had to do that on my Sony laptop when I put my copy of The Capn software, and then some other stuff like a wifi to our tv it messed all up and had to start all over ! just a thought Connie and Bob
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

If you are booting the computer with the GPS plugged in Windows may be loading the Microsoft Serial Ball Point Mouse on the port with the GPS. Have you tried booting the computer without the GPS then plugging it in after the boot.

You could also look in Device Manager under Mice and other pointing Devices to see if the serial mouse is listed, if it is then disable it and reboot the computer and you won't have the problem again on that USB port.

Bob
Old 02-03-2012, 11:55   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
If you are booting the computer with the GPS plugged in Windows may be loading the Microsoft Serial Ball Point Mouse on the port with the GPS. Have you tried booting the computer without the GPS then plugging it in after the boot.

You could also look in Device Manager under Mice and other pointing Devices to see if the serial mouse is listed, if it is then disable it and reboot the computer and you won't have the problem again on that USB port.

Bob
I agree, do not have the GPS plugged into the computer initially. And for the moment, don't have Fugawi running either.

First, it does no harm to re-install / install the latest compatible driver for your GPS. Is it Garmin? Magellan? Delorme? Go to the manufacturer's web site and get their most current driver version that applies to your edition of Windows. Download it, install that driver as per their instructions.

Then plug in the GPS unit, see if Windows detects the hardware, i.e. "New Hardware Wizard" etc. Hopefully that goes well.

Then start up Fugawi. Go into the GPS > Settings Menu.

In there, select the Model tab.... what is it set to right now? If you have a very generic device, you may need to select NMEA as the model. If you have Garmin with a USB connection, select that. Sometimes these selections get "unstuck" in the problem scenario you describe, so best to check this.

Then go to the Settings tab of the same GPS > Settings dialog window. In here, have "Auto-detect GPS" check marked ONLY if your GPS is truly connecting with USB. If, however, the device is using a serial to USB "virtual COM port" (i.e. something you would likely see in Windows Device Manager, under "Ports") then uncheck the Auto-detect GPS. In other words, play with the Auto-detect GPS as either on or off, see what difference it makes. Often that's the whole story right there; typically you have to turn it off for the sake of the serial-to-USB virtual COM port type of connection and the click PORTS to set Fugawi to look at your virtual COM port. (If the driver for the GPS was never installed, or got damaged somehow, or the GPS simply isn't connected to the computer, then Fugawi will never see the virtual COM port listed and you will be dead in the water.)

If you got it working once, you can get it working again; it's just a matter of playing with the sequence of when GPS gets plugged in versus when Fugawi is launched, and the GPS > Settings dialogs for Model and Settings.

If still stumped, email Fugawi support with your GPS model / manufacturer and the current GPS > Settings you have your software set to. Their reply will get you in the direction of fixing this up.
Andre_Up_North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 13:53   #9

Thanks Andre, great post. We'll give it a shot.

Tags
navionics