Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19   #1

Boat: Dufour Arpege 30
Navigatrix

I just downloaded the new release of Navigatrix 14.02.12 On shutdown I get a picture of a parrot and a message "Your going to be the victim of a bazaar joke" after which I was unable to run windows. After trying to restore from an older restore point I was able to get it to run but had an error that said start-up system files are corrupt reinstall.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution to fix it?

Thanks,

Tim
Zephyr's Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 21:41   #2

Boat: Catalina 22
Re: Navigatrix

While I have never used Navigatrix and therefore have not experienced this problem, I use ComboFix to remove any and all malware

ComboFix: A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

Good Luck restoring your computer!
Old 17-08-2012, 22:14   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

navigatrix runs under Linux...sounds like you already had some sort opf malware or virus to start with...clean your computer and try again
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 04:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr's Aura View Post
I just downloaded the new release of Navigatrix 14.02.12 On shutdown I get a picture of a parrot and a message "Your going to be the victim of a bazaar joke" after which I was unable to run windows. After trying to restore from an older restore point I was able to get it to run but had an error that said start-up system files are corrupt reinstall.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution to fix it?

Thanks,

Tim
The parrot is part of a program called cowsay ( cowsay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Cowsay traditionally has an ASCII cow that cycles through a database of "fourtunes" ...just a collection of expressions or quotes found in literature or on the internet.

Some versions of cowsay have been modified to show a penguin, others...a parrot. The one in Navigatrix has a parrot <awk>.....

The parrot shows up on all terminal...not fatal...but terminal [as in computer terminal] windows and says something stupid....occasionally thought provoking....but usually stupid.

When you shut down Navigatrix, or any other Linux distribution the first component to terminate is the graphic user interface....the 'windows' with the colours and mouse interactivity. In the 'old days' the terminal was the first and last thing you saw. To activate or shutdown the GUI you had to type in the command. But now, in these modern times, it's automagic to fire it up and point'n'click to shut it down. The last thing to shut down on your screen is the terminal from which that graphic interface was initiated...hence, the parrot.

Microsoft Windows operates the same way but the "terminal" running in the background is hidden....just as the spew of data on bootup. But it doesn't have a parrot.

Booting Navigatrix from a USB stick does not write anything your hard drive unless you specifically write it there. No malware; no viruses.

The parrot is benignly irritating at its worst...mildly amusing at its best.

It is a natural tendency to think the last person to touch something broke it. This is called a "post hoc" fallacy. But nothing in the Navigatrix system changes any bit on your hard drive without your consent.

I agree with Albro359.

One possible fix is to just install Navigatrix on the hard drive and do away with your dysfunctional MSWindows. You can use Navigatrix to retrieve anything on your MSWindows system...working or not.

I bought a new computer (W7 pre-installed) when I was in Panama last year. The first thing I did was install Navigatrix. The First Mate installed Ubuntu on her machine.

The only things we can't do is sync an iPod or run the GE2KAP script....but there are ways of solving that too....

Good luck.
wadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 07:33   #5

Boat: Dufour Arpege 30

Thank you for the information. I had a Trojan horse called JS:Banker-IC. I was infected twice form the same source. It was not Navigatrix. It was very suspicious to me that it happened right after updating the Navigatrix software. The previous version that I had did not show cowsay or it shut down so fast that I didn't notice it before.

I'm now running Navigatrix with no problems.

Thanks,

Tim
Zephyr's Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 23:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr's Aura View Post
Thank you for the information. I had a Trojan horse called JS:Banker-IC. I was infected twice form the same source. It was not Navigatrix. It was very suspicious to me that it happened right after updating the Navigatrix software. The previous version that I had did not show cowsay or it shut down so fast that I didn't notice it before.

I'm now running Navigatrix with no problems.

Thanks,

Tim
I understand your concern and your assumption. I am glad it was unfounded.

I don't remember when cowsay was introduced into Navigatrix, but I remember talking to the guy who stuck it in.

I said, "Com'on, now....really?", as I rolled my eyes. Years ago I had a friend who would email me with cowsay pictures on the bottom of his emails. I would XX the eyes, or invert the cow in my replies.

He said, "Yeah, it's *fun*....and it only take 270KBs. What's the harm?

While it's not the best logical argument around; after having the parrot on the screen for a while now I have to agree.

I'm also glad your running Navigatrix with no problem. I use it. I've used it nearly every single day since I've left Panama and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Those developers should be encouraged to keep kicking out the code.
wadda is offline   Reply With Quote