Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 10:02   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper
Navigation electronics upgrade path

Hi All

I am looking for help to find a low price, but still good, path through the nightmare of upgrading navigation. I a willing to use any of the major brands or combinations and only want to upgrade parts of the system where I need to or it provides very useful newer functions.

I'm also thinking it's better not to necessarily replace things but leave older systems there for safety duplication as well.

Current situation:
Dying Raymarine C70 plotter plus individual ST60 displays with depth, speed, wind speed and angle, and autopilot. There is GPS and VHF aerials. Analogue radar feeding to C70.

Wanting:
Modern radar (digital)
AIS
MFD at helm - a size bigger than C70.
Wifi connection for data to tablet - as much functionality replicated on the tablet as possible.

Please give me your thoughts on what combinations of equipment you see will achieve these goals, and whether I would need to do everything at once or if there are steps I can take as I can afford them.

Also researching:
FLS - can a 2D FLS replace a depth sounder in through hull hole and in providing the straight down depth data? Can its data show on an MFD or does it have its own screen?

Best wishes
Richard
rwoodnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 18:50   #2

Boat: 1999 Beneteau 411
Re: Navigation electronics upgrade path

Given that you've got ST60 for your sensors (and assuming those all still work as well as you want them to), seems like any of the eS series or Axiom MFDs with an itc-5 analog to STng converter would be the cheapest, easiest way to gain a huge amount of functionality for minimum cost. Add one of the HD Color 18" digital radars and you're done.

The eS and Axiom both have native wifi and bluetooth plus the normal microSD. The eS also has an HDMI video out for turning a tv into a repeater if desired. I haven't played with an Axiom in a live install, just store displays but I own an eS128 (helm) and e127 (nav station). I have even older transducers than yours from the original late 90s era ST40/50 series that came with the boat when it was new. It all works though. Quite nicely too.
For a more advanced sounder, look for one of the MFDs that has a built-in sounder capability, then add the appropriate transducer. These days you shouldn't have to buy a separate sounder unless you're after very hi-res 3D type imaging with sidescan etc.
SV Melody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, navigation