Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2010, 04:45   #1

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Nautical iPhone Apps

I am finding a ton of cool iPhone apps for boating. Of course this all comes with the caveat that these are just an assist and do not replace proper navigational procedures.

So far I have found:
Tide tables for just about anywhere app "Tidegraph"
A wind forecasting app that covers the globe "Windfinder"
Navigation and chart app "iNavx"
An anchor alarm app "Anchor Alarm"
A complete rules of the road app "Navigation Rules"
A star gazer app, just point it up at the sky and it will tell you what stars you are seeing, "Star Walk"

Please feel free to ad to this list.

Gary Shanti's blog
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will get you back on the freeway"
seacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18   #2

Navimatics Charts&Tides has done a nice job of merging NOAA vector charts with ActiveCaptain points-of-interest. It's inexpensive and well done. We get no royalties, fees, or anything from it. I'm just a normal user even though I'm the developer of ActiveCaptain.

I'm totally frustrated using iNavX. It's the only software for my iPhone that I wish I could get my money back on. And at $50 it's also the most expensive product I've purchased.

Navionics charting apps should be looked at. I love the ability to look at charts and the tide integration they've done is pretty good. To be honest, I'm using the Navimatics tide integration more these days - they have a very similar thing.

I use general weather apps (Weather Channel, WeatherBug, etc).

I don't like the various anchor alarm programs - there are at least 3 of them currently (maybe 4). I'm totally biased because I'm writing my own right now. None of the others implement an anchor alarm properly and all miss some important capabilities.

I use ShralpTide for quick offline tide prediction. It's free and needs no internet connection to show the tide predictions. There's no reason to buy an app that does this. ShralpTide is great at quickly showing the tide at the closest station to where you are located.

I use BuoyData to show the NDBC data using the internet. It has a nice interface and is easy to get the current conditions. Predictions are nice to have - knowing what's actually happening out there is better most of the time!

I use both the Planets and Stars apps. Both are good at finding stars and exploring the night sky at anchor.

For wind/wave prediction, I like Windfinder, Swell Info, and Wind Guru. Swell Info especially is nice for coastal cruising. It's often the case that NOAA predictions are for as much as 20 nm offshore. Conditions just a few miles offshore are often different. Swell Info provides some of that.

I use HanDBase with custom databases to track everything on my boat (Projects, Parts, Maintenance Reminders, Captain's Log, Fuel Log, and Spares).

I use AroundMe and DexKnows to find things when we land onshore. Dog Parks is another nice, free app that helps find places to bring our dogs when we land.

I have a variety of other apps that I experiment with but none that make it to my list of "these are the ones I really use"...
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: