Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2007, 17:08   #1

Send a message via AIM to Radio University
My noncommercial post are being considered commercial

I am sorry to say that this will be my last post...

The adminstrators of this site seem to believe the FREE service I offer to everyone of you is commercial. I have therefore withdrawn my participation in this forum. I sincerely hope that if you found my posts helpful you let your moderator know.

In the meantime if you need FREE Technical Support regarding communications, my 800 number is still available. My podcasts and LIVE Internet Radio will continue. I will just not post here...
Old 14-01-2007, 18:21   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
The rest of the story....

James, please think critically for a minute. We all love your contributions and yours are no more or less "free" than any of those made by other contributors. You were "monitored" by the moderators of this forum for advertising not for contributing "free" material.

In addition, your reference to the control of this site as being "Nazi" (during one of your other complaints) either condemns all discipline as being excessive and racist or waters down the original meaning of the term to a mild irritation at worst. You seem to wish to skirt our intent to preserve the integrity and universal palitability of this forum with such inflamatory accusations.

Welcome back to our forum and enjoy the spam and advertisement-free content!

Thanks again for your contributions,
Rick
Old 14-01-2007, 18:31   #3

As requested by Andy. I will wait before responding. And Rick, Thank you for your non reactional response. I will admit that I was a little out of line on my previouse response to Elusive but it is getting rough trying to give something out for free...
Old 14-01-2007, 20:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
James thank-you for your respnse. I too would like to echo the voice of all the others on the team that we do appreciate you here and I see you as an invaluable participant and an invaluable resource that you offer. Just please appreciate from our perspective that we need to keep "advertising" in what ever form or what ever it advertises, as closely(...ummm... controlled isn't the best choice of word, but I will use it), as we can. Otherwise we will have a flood gate opened that we simply can't control and it will wreck this place. Please be patient as we are working on ideas of how we can allow topic related advertising such as your is and not have it seen as a window of oportunity to others that would have no quam in creating mayhem with advertising.
Thanks, I do appreciate your hanging around.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 14-01-2007, 21:43   #5

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I can see what a fine (sometimes wide) line this is. Just look at anchor discussions and when you get into the testing, WOO!! See who are doing the test. OK, we cannot live without you fine people who make our products and bias advertising is a way of life. Although most boards do have an advertising section that is mostly unused.

Radio Univeristy you are on several forums and your input is quite good. I just wish you was close enough to my boat to install the SSB.
Old 14-01-2007, 22:10   #6

Thanks Lynx!

Where are you located?
Old 14-01-2007, 23:46   #7

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
SW Florida near Ft Myers. My SSB is a few months away, Nov latest.

Good luck with your business.
Old 14-01-2007, 23:57   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I also echo Lynx's post and feel that the folks who visit this board would be at a loss if Radio U goes, I for one hope he keeps coming & "giving" , he has helped many who have been involved in the theads along with those who have not
Ram
Ps I also wish he could install my SSB, but im in N. Africa at the moment
Old 15-01-2007, 00:54   #9
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
After being absent from this site for over 6 months I find it has changed a lot and I am not particularly happy with the changes. Feeding the trolls by dragging out the Bumfuzzle nonsense and some quite vituperative attacks for what appears to me very minor reasons are some sources of my annoyance.RU has given me some excellent, free & non condescending advice on my SSB installation including doing a lot of research (that may have cost him something) and had not attempted to recoup anything from me (just like a true cruiser). Nor has he tried to sell me anything. If this PC nonsense continues I'll put Cruisersforum in the too hard basket and start looking elsewhere for the level of unregulated advice I used to receive here. As I suspected with the site sale, we are now faced with too much commercial crap.
Old 15-01-2007, 03:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
I can see what a fine (sometimes wide) line this is. Just look at anchor discussions and when you get into the testing, WOO!! See who are doing the test.
Hey, for my part I haven't annoyed anyone too much yet...

(I think)

...apart from those with vested interests, of course.

A point worth making, and one that is above even the admins/moderators, is that it terribly difficult to judge the genuine opinion of the readers of the threads in question. People tend to post when their opinion is reactionary or negative, but not bother if what they find is simply agreeable. Accordingly, a few naysayers busy tapping away on their keyboards should not be considered representative of the community.

We get much public criticism with regard to my participation - but it is nicely countered by a greater amount of positive feedback, almost all of which for some reason is private. I suppose those people are not the dramatic types, and only intend to provide encouragement rather than fight the trolls. In any case, taking into account the above, it seems clear that the true opinion of all readers is overwhelmingly positive.

My take on the matter is that it is worth publishing what you have to say, regardless of the reaction - 90% of thread readers are not participants, and if you have put forth the info, you may rely on the readers to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Old 15-01-2007, 04:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwederell
After being absent from this site for over 6 months I find it has changed a lot and I am not particularly happy with the changes. Feeding the trolls by dragging out the Bumfuzzle nonsense and some quite vituperative attacks for what appears to me very minor reasons are some sources of my annoyance.RU has given me some excellent, free & non condescending advice on my SSB installation including doing a lot of research (that may have cost him something) and had not attempted to recoup anything from me (just like a true cruiser). Nor has he tried to sell me anything. If this PC nonsense continues I'll put Cruisersforum in the too hard basket and start looking elsewhere for the level of unregulated advice I used to receive here. As I suspected with the site sale, we are now faced with too much commercial crap.
I love this saying,'who pissed on your weeties this morning pwederell?"6 mths off,ya just need an ajustment,I haven't looked at RU's threads/post's to far but what ever the problem it sounds like Wheels has a handle on it.I have read lots of your threads/post's and have learn't things by this ask/answer thing we seem to have here"That you won't find in to many other sites".Chill out,RU is!!,Nobody throws away free knowledge,don't be tempted by the dark side Luke.Mudnut.
Old 15-01-2007, 04:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith
Hey, for my part I haven't annoyed anyone too much yet...

(I think)

...apart from those with vested interests, of course.

A point worth making, and one that is above even the admins/moderators, is that it terribly difficult to judge the genuine opinion of the readers of the threads in question. People tend to post when their opinion is reactionary or negative, but not bother if what they find is simply agreeable. Accordingly, a few naysayers busy tapping away on their keyboards should not be considered representative of the community.

We get much public criticism with regard to my participation - but it is nicely countered by a greater amount of positive feedback, almost all of which for some reason is private. I suppose those people are not the dramatic types, and only intend to provide encouragement rather than fight the trolls. In any case, taking into account the above, it seems clear that the true opinion of all readers is overwhelmingly positive.

My take on the matter is that it is worth publishing what you have to say, regardless of the reaction - 90% of thread readers are not participants, and if you have put forth the info, you may rely on the readers to sort the wheat from the chaff.
So what has this got to do with RU,is this,"Chaff and wheat"Mudnut.
Old 15-01-2007, 06:01   #13

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Radio U has been a non commercial poster from what I have seen. By far less so than some of the anchor posters for example.. Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Old 15-01-2007, 06:57   #14
cruiser

I, for one, think you commercial guys are now doing a good job of participating without overtly advertising at this time. It hasn't always been so, but the state of affars seems good at this time.

I think this is also a rare board in that it's more thoughtful and contemplative than many, which seem to be a bit more on the social side.

The helpful posts the commercial guys do goes a long way toward my thinking of their product and service as something to consider. When I see Craig's post, I think of the Roca, which I've warmed up to since participating in discussions with Craig. I haven't been exposed to Radio U's posts, so I'm not so knowledgeable on his information yet. Then, of course there is Never Monday. He is extremely helpful and always going out of his way to help us. He helped me figure out a starter problem, and has offered advice and information many times when I was stuck. From now on, if I can, I will order all the parts I need from him.

The point is... I think we're headed in the right direction here. The forum stays as a commercial-free zone, and we all still know who makes the products and naturally think of you first, before others since we know you.
Old 15-01-2007, 10:50   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
for the level of unregulated advice I used to receive here. As I suspected with the site sale, we are now faced with too much commercial crap.
Pete, that's the two opposing situations we as the "team" are trying to keep a handle on. Keep the advice unregulated, but stopping this place being flooded with commercial crap. Mate, if only you knew the number of spam we were dealign with daily in the lead up to Xmas. If we allowed every poster to place there advertising on the board, even in a specific forum, it would be devestating.
Don't get me wrong, we have not lumped RU into a "spammers" basket. just remember that only RU knows what he is, what he promots and so on. We as Mod/Admin can't go to every single link provided and make a judgment on ligitimacy to the board. So we are working on how to go about all this in the background so that it is fair to all.
To all reading, please also note, it is very easy to call names. But this is a team of very clever people and we enter a debate into subjects like this. It is one reason why it takes as long as an elephant giving birth, to make a decision here. Each issue is debated and each side of the argument has very good points that we all consider. In the end, I think and hope we come up with a decision that helps all here and keeps this place level. Personly, I can only judge the result against other places I have visited and in the end, I simply would not want to become a member of anywhere else.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Closed Thread