Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 04:20   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Multiple antenna for ham/marine

Robert,
You're welcome...

But, while these switches will switch the RF (although, not the best choice....Daiwa or Alpha Delta would be MUCH better) remember you haven't addressed the fact that the AT-140 will not operate from the TS-480 without an external, aftermarket "tuner interface"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
Thanks for all the effort and time spent on advice. 2 of these run back to back between the radios and tuners should get the job done:

Sorry if my question was misleading.
No worries about not wording the question differently!!
That's nothing!!

What is something, is that you've made no mention of any other details....so the advice your getting (from me and others) is very generic and could be erroneous....
Not saying that anything is "wrong"...just that none of us know what your application is...

To be brief (and a bit blunt), your choices will be based on your application and your preferences, not mine nor others...
As example:: I started playing with radios in the mid-60's....assisted in my first maritime HF install as a teenager in the early/mid-70's, joined the ARRL in 1974, studied for my Novice tic (but got sidelined by girls and cars for a couple years) and finally got around to it 40 years ago...
And have spent the past 45 years learning and teaching communications....professionally, specializing in commercial sat comm...and teaching antenna system design, radiowave propagation, etc...and operating ham and maritime, on-shore and at sea....and making many offshore passage, including multiple Atlantic crossings...
The reason I'm writing all of this is NOT to come off as some arrogant jerk, but to drive the point that there are many reasons that one would choose one radio over another, or choose two radios, or choose which one to be primary, etc....and I think you may not really be aware of the GMDSS and what the M-802 does??
Please do yourself (and your family / crew) the favor of studying up on all of this, before you make the decision to just use the 480 as your "go-to radio"....
(you may end up choosing it anyway, such as if all you're going to be doing is coastal sailing along the US....but, if planning int'l voyaging and/or offshore cruising, and understand the GMDSS better, you may choose differently)

Here are two pics...one showing part of my ham shack at home...and one showing part of my Nav Station on-board....two different application..

Again, no worries.....just wanted to share some learned thoughts...

Fair winds and 73,

John

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:23   #17

Boat: In the market

Hey John, thanks again for all the info.

I will be looking for a m802 to be dedicated to marine usage and crew.

Any other HF gear will be for developing my own ham skills.

I will look at the switches you suggested.

Good point about using the 140 with the kenwood. Learn something in every post.

Bob
KI6LNY

Old 11-06-2018, 14:10   #18

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

I still don't quite understand your proposed wiring arrangement.

Let me suggest the best possible arrange: a TRANSFER SWITCH

With a transfer switch you can use either transmitter with either antenna through the associated tuner. Here is a sketch of how you can make a reasonable HF transfer switch with just two SPDT coaxial switches and two T-connectors:

For the two T-connectors you will likely have to use an all-female T-connector, such as a UHF-7623 ($9), and then at each end that connects to the switches, use four male-male UHF adaptor, such as a UHF-7626 ($5). This will add $38 to the cost compared to just having two SPDT coaxial switches, but will give you the option of using either antenna on either radio simultaneously. Choose a switch that does not short circuit the unused pole.

Or you could buy an actual transfer switch rated for 100-Watts, but I think any thing like that would be much more expensive. A nice transfer switch that costs $725 can be found at this LINK.

The only problem with the arrangement I sketched is that there is no lockout that prevents you from setting two radios in parallel to the same antenna. You have to manage that yourself. At the lower HF frequencies you will be using, the short segments of 50-Ohm open stubs that result from the T-connector won't make much difference in VSWR or tuning.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 14:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
I intend to run a TS-480hx/sgc230 and a M802/AT-140. My original thought was to use a backstay antenna with the Kenwood and a whip with the Icom.

That is until I considered using 2 antenna switches to interconnect them.

Will quality antenna switches create significant losses?

Any recommendations for switches?

Would it be functionally better to keep them separated?

Thanks for any help and for all the great information on this site.
I have a similar set up to you...

Icom 706Mk2G to Icom tuner to whip

and

Icom 710 to Icom tuner to backstay.

I run them as discrete units and when, very rarely, I have felt the need for a change have just swapped the ant feeds across on the 'downstream' side of the tuners. Takes a few minutes..... spin off two butterfly nuts...

If you try and switch on the coax between radios and tuners you will also have to switch the control cabling due to one being an Icom which uses 4 wire... 2 for the 12V and 2 for control... otherwise when you press the 'tune' button on your 802 ( assuming this is the same as a 710 ) it will be talking to the wrong tuner.....

If you have 2 SEA/SGC tuners I don't think this is an issue as they simply have 12v supply and you could switch before the tuners....

My usage for the 710 is mainly Sailmail or a dedicated net frequency.

The 706 I use for general ham work and SWLing... no trouble with the whip... when I was mucking about with digital modes I was happily working Japan, through Asiatic Russia to Europe plus most of SA from the bottom of Chile on a daily basis...

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, marine