Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 14:38   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: MULTI FUNCTION vs STAND ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I can see how a good multi function could be cheaper, more space efficient and give a better result than stand alone.

I've gone with standalone on Boracay and from time to time I'm very aware of the deficiencies of each separate system. Maybe that's a good thing?

In particular, if you want to have an autopilot with input from a wind speed/direction sensor integrated may be the only way.

From my perspective standalone has several advantages:-
* Each part can be added separately so the cost can be spread out over quite a few years.
* As each component ages it can be replaced. As the multifunction ages components may become less and less available so that ultimatly the complete system may need replacing. Problematic on an older boat.
* Security. It's not hard to make each part of a standalone system removable. When I'm not on the boat key parts come home with me.

I'm currently considering installing one of the B & W GPS "plotters" (without a map), and a big display like the Furuno GP-32. I find it hard to make sense of a map and to steer at the same time, so a down below PC or plotter with maps may give me a better result. Needs another crew to keep watch though.
Garmins plotters can be set up so the cursor is alway pointed straight ahead. IAW the map turns around you, the North moves just like on the compass.
Old 12-12-2011, 15:14   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Garmins plotters can be set up so the cursor is alway pointed straight ahead. IAW the map turns around you, the North moves just like on the compass.
This has been a feature on every set from every manufacturer since the mid-80's - not a Garmin specific feature at all. It's called "course up" mode.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 15:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
From my perspective standalone has several advantages:-
* Each part can be added separately so the cost can be spread out over quite a few years.
* As each component ages it can be replaced. As the multifunction ages components may become less and less available so that ultimatly the complete system may need replacing. Problematic on an older boat.
* Security. It's not hard to make each part of a standalone system removable. When I'm not on the boat key parts come home with me.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, and I don't think you understand MFD's. MFD, by their very nature, are mostly future-proof. Their entire function is simply to display data from standardized sensors regardless of manufacturer or sophistication. They can be added at will and at any time, mixed and matched in any combination, and any "upgraded" ones will be perfectly compatible with the older ones. Whenever a sensor or transducer fails or needs an upgrade, one can substitute at will from any manufacturer of choice and the old MFD will accommodate it just fine. And they are no harder to remove than stand alone systems. In fact, they are probably easier because their connection to the system consists of a single communication cable that can be hot unplugged/plugged without disturbing anything else on the system.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-12-2011, 15:28   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
This has been a feature on every set from every manufacturer since the mid-80's - not a Garmin specific feature at all. It's called "course up" mode.

Mark
My old Standard Horizon didn't. But I guess owning only one brand, since then, makes me ignorant.
Humm! Did they have chart plotters in the mid 80's. I was still using my RDF, Loran C. & dead recking.
Old 12-12-2011, 15:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
My old Standard Horizon didn't. But I guess owning only one brand, since then, makes me ignorant.
Humm! Did they have chart plotters in the mid 80's. I was still using my RDF, Loran C. & dead recking.
Predates even chart plotters - the "highway" mode on all the old ones was always course up.

Mark