Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2013, 02:47   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Mounting Ultrasonic Wind Instrument

Now that I have received my WSO-100 Maretron wind instrument, I've got to figure out how to install it. I am conscious of time ticking before the mast goes back in so I can't really screw around with it endlessly.

I've trawled the web thoroughly and haven't found anything which looks suitable for me.

Someone mounted one off to the side of the mast with a Glomex TV antenna mount. Looks somewhat fragile, and besides that, I don't see how there can be clean air off to one side. Racers put their wind instruments far forward on long stalks, to avoid the updraft from the headsail.

The WSO-100 mounts on a standard 1" 14tpi marine pole. Maybe if I mount that at the front part of the masthead, on a long pole? Will there be clean air one meter above the mast head, I wonder? I could use a carbon pole, probably. The long lever arm is bad -- will tend to wrench the unit out of its base in heavy seas. But maybe a good light stiff carbon pole would be ok -- the wind instrument itself is not that heavy.

I don't see how I can get that unit forward without creating all kinds of problems (and besides that, I would like to leave the existing Raymarine wind instrument in place there), so it seems to me that the only place to go is up.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Re: Mounting Ultrasonic Wind Instrument

Dockhead:

Here is how we mounted our similar PB200

V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

That's very clever!

Does it seem to get clean air there? That's not so high, so should be pretty sturdy.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's very clever! .
Thanks, that was my thought when I saw how the guys at the factory came up with the idea.

Quote:
Does it seem to get clean air there? That's not so high, so should be pretty sturdy.
Well, I'm no racer. Seems to be just fine. And pretty stout.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58   #5
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was just about to suggest fashioning a stainless fixture to go over the mast head light, again I wouldn't go up a metre that's a long arm., but I was beaten to the post. Alternatively dump the tri colour and fit sailing lights to the mast , big boats like yours sometimes do that ( you'll look like a super yacht !)

Dave
Old 12-01-2013, 08:15   #6

It's not very applicable, but I have a PB200 on my Grand Banks 47. I mounted it about 2' above the flybridge bimini, and about 3' to the side of the radar mast. It could well be influenced by air flow over the bimini, and by blockage and turbulence around the radar mast when the wind is from that direction, but my readings seem stable. Short of having something to compare them too, there is no way of knowing how distorted they may be. I would have put the sensor up higher and/or further from the radar mast, but then it would be in the radar beam which I figured was worse, especially for the built-in GPS.

In laying out the physical location of all the sensors etc on my boat I ultimately concluded that all you can do is try to make the best of the situation. I couldn't find any way to meet the specs of all the devices, and don't think you can on anything other than a much larger boat (say 70' or more). I went through 3 or 4 different concepts before finally settling on what I built. And of course every boat is different, and a sail boat has very different parameters than a power boat.

Tags
wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: