Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 14:48   #1

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Mounting radome to mast - suitable locations?

I'm soon going to mount the new Simrad 3G radome to the boat. The old radome was mounted to a pole at the stern. I'm wanting to redo the solar panel layout which would be a lot easier if I got rid of the radome altogether from the rear of the boat. Looking at mast mounting, the most convenient location - for a number of reasons - would be to mount it at a point about 1.8 metres (6') down from the spreaders. This leaves it about 5 metres (~17') above deck.

I was talking to a rigger the other day and he reckoned lower mounting was better, but I don't recall seeing many boats with a radar set below the spreaders (not that I've been looking specifically in the past, though). For the main purpose I want to use the radar for (nearby detection), I see the low mounting as actually being a benefit, but am unsure of what the potential "cons" are, especially in relation to the mounting location? Any opinion or experience with this type of setup?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast