Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2008, 17:15   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked on water View Post
...It will undoubtedly be later this year I wire the mast up
have to make a tower for the top for my anchor lights, strobe (which i never thought of before) and for the tricolor
In case of a misunderstanding - when I referred to a "tower" I was referring to the combined units available from the likes of Aquasignal where you buy a single unit which has strobe, anchor and tricolour (for example) all stacked on top of each other - all you have to do is fit it on the masthead and wire it up - nothing needs to be made.

NB The likes of Aquasignal may be of higher initial capital cost than some others but definitely the cheapest in the long run. From what I have seen cheaper lamps soon lead to tears due to water ingress, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked on water View Post
...where does everyone bring the cable through to the mast, through the deck to the side or into base
Assuming a deck stepped mast, the best way that I know of, in my opinion, is to just have a vertical standpipe through the deck inside the mast step so the stand pipe extends up inside the mast. No swan neck is required, the mast provides the shelter. The cables are then terminated in a junction box inside the boat, for example behind the cabin overhead, so that they can be pulled back up the standpipe should the mast need to be removed.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:28   #17

Boat: Hartley RORC 32
Thanks for the clarification and yes it is a deck stepped mast
sorry for not being clear
thanks again
cheers
hooked
hooked on water is offline   Reply With Quote