Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2012, 20:14   #16

Boat: Tartan 40
One issue can come up if your hull is too steep of a vee forward. I replaced my depth finder with a new unit with airmar transducer. I bought the inside hull mount which you fill with rv antifreeze, but it only tolerates a certain hull angle. The minimum angle of my hull forward of midships is >30 degrees. Therefore I had to build a new housing. I used a 6 inch PVC pipe stub that I cut on a table saw to match the hull angle. Then glued it to inside of hull with screw cap lid, then filled with RV water system antifreeze. Works great. Would have loved to epoxy or siliconed it, but would have required a flat section somewhere.....

Old 20-03-2012, 15:31   #17

Boat: C&C 41
Re: Mounting In-Hull transducer

OK, one more question. 4200 seems to be the ticket, how deep do I bury the transducer in it or just a surface bond to the hull? P.S. Thank you everyone.

Old 20-03-2012, 15:50   #18

Boat: Tartan 30

Since Airmar is recommending a 1-part poly adhesive, seems like you could just use PL 'professional' construction adhesive from Home Depot for about 1/3 the price of 4200.

Just a thought.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:45   #19

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
OK, one more question. 4200 seems to be the ticket, how deep do I bury the transducer in it or just a surface bond to the hull? P.S. Thank you everyone.
You just need a surface bond. Just make sure you don't have any air bubbles or gaps between the 'ducer and the hull.
Old 26-07-2012, 03:12   #20

Boat: Townson 34

I am going for the in hull fitting and just thought about using the thru hull casing that comes with the transducer and fitting that to the inside of the hull and then use castor oil to make up the void and fit the transducer into the fitting. Any ideas on that. Makes a lot of sense but maybe a problem?
Such good ideas from everyone. Thanks to everyone
Old 26-07-2012, 03:57   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

When my original depth sounder failed I did not want to haul out to drill out the old and install the new. Following the sage advice of my elders around here, I purchased a commode wax sealing ring. I took about 1/4 of it and carefully warmed it in my hands then fitted it to the transducer face. In the bow I slowly pressed it down to make sure there were no air bubbles. It works fine. The only problem has been the high heat softening the wax which allows the device to slide around. Once underway and cooler it all calms down and works fine once again.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:46   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasailor View Post
I am going for the in hull fitting and just thought about using the thru hull casing that comes with the transducer and fitting that to the inside of the hull and then use castor oil to make up the void and fit the transducer into the fitting. Any ideas on that. Makes a lot of sense but maybe a problem?
Such good ideas from everyone. Thanks to everyone
that would work. seems like with oil it's always leaking somewhere, but maybe that scheme will work better than some. I have used epoxy or silicone before.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: