Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 11:48   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18
Mounting A Shoot Thru Transducer

I bought a Garmin combo a few months ago that came with a transom mount trx, When I haul out the boat I plan on installing a thru hull trx. but for now thinking about just mounting this trx as a shoot thru as my hull is solid glass and not all that thick. what would be best to bed it down with? maybe silicone so I can remove it later. or is that not a hard enough substance?
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:18   #2

Re: Mounting A Shoot Thru Transducer

toilet bowl wax ring material
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
toilet bowl wax ring material
This sounds like a good, non permanent option. Just wondering if the wax would lose its consistency if the transducer was placed in a warm engine room?
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:35   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I had one held down by a weight in a well of water for years. No adhesive at all. Worked great. Silicon works, and Stu’s idea is perfect. The key is to ensure there are no voids in the medium, and the contact is clean between transducer and hull.
Old 28-12-2016, 12:38   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

fishtail, I have the same transducer. Still mounted with a dob of silicone on each corner. In a slice of pvc tubing cut to match the hull angle. Works fine. Still haven't capped it off yet. Just refill with water from time to time.
Old 28-12-2016, 13:27   #6

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

I use epoxy on this boat and my last.
Old 28-12-2016, 15:02   #7

Boat: Newport 28

I imagine the toilet wax would be fine, even in a warm engine room, but if you were concerned, you could always take a can or large PVC piece and cut it to fit over it afterwards, and just silicone that down to make a "cover" to add some insulation space to keep the heat out more.

Mine used a collar that was siliconed to the hull, filled with liquid (originally I used RV antifreeze after researching the eth glycol that was suggested as a replacement for mineral oil - but the silicone failed at one point due to a paint chip, so I just refilled with water and was fine), and then the transducer sat in there submerged. Worked fine the whole time.
Old 29-12-2016, 02:42   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

I installed one on my last boat with slow setting epoxy. I believe the manufactures say not to use silicon or the likes? But obviously from the above posts silicon must work.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 03:34   #9

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I used silicone on my two depthsounder transducers and they have been working fine for years. Just a few quick tips before you install...
Choose a place on the hull and then test the depthsounder with the transducer sitting in a pool of water (I used plasticine putty to make a well which I filled with water). Test it with the boat sailing and also motoring to make sure it gives soundings at angles of heel and with prop turbulence as well). Once you've found the right spot on the hull, clean it well, sand it and carefully squeeze out the silicone so that there are no air bubbles. Then just carefully push the transducer into the goop and wait for it to set. I believe you lose a little sensitivity by mounting the transducer inside the hull, but that is more than compensated, in my opinion, by not having another hole in the hull!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:09   #10

I have one working fine in a wet bilge, so the bottom is underwater all the time. It's held down with Tec7 at the sides but nothing underneath except water.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:34   #11

Boat: Heritage 35

I mounted mine on the centre line just in front of the keel covered it in vaseline and used it as a plug for an epoxie mold. I'ts worked fine for 5 years without liquids of any sort and still has a range close to the 600 ft advertised. I wouldn't drill another hole in the bottom as sure as taxes when it fails a new one won't fit the old hole!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 09:21   #12

I used Plumbers Putty on mine. It wasn't even a "shoot through the hull" transducer, just a regular transom mounted Lawrence. yet, mounting it in the settee locker using plumbers putty worked perfectly.

In three years, it never moved, never had to be reset. yet, when I sold the boat, I was able to to pull and remove the transducer (in about 3 seconds) and keep it with the chart plotter . . . to move to my new boat.

~markb
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:05   #13

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Mine sits inside a vegatable oil filled tube exposided to the inside of the hull. The top is sealed witc a card disk and then candle wax. This is not to scale. But the wax sinks into oil, hence the card and it seals it all round the cable nicely.

|______|
! wax |
| |
| card |
|-------|
| Veg |
| Oil |
|||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||||
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:37   #14

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I have a Raymarine I-40 sounder. I have it shooting thru the hull with mineral oil in the raymarine mount. I DO NOT recommend this unit. It curs out intermittently, going from an accurate reading down to zero. Just as suddenly it goes back to an accurate reading.. Does anyone have any ideas?
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:46   #15

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;2289322]toilet bowl wax ring

I've never had a chart plotter, but received one for Christmas. Did you put the transducer inside the ring on the hull and the massage the wax to cover the transducer? I'm trying to imagine how this works. I want to try this before other more permanent installations. Thanks!
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote