Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56   #1
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Does anyone have experience with this antenna in the marine environment?
__________________

__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:54   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Mohu Sky HDTV Antenna

This is just another expensive gadget. You do not need any special antenna to pick up over the air HDTV. You need an antenna that will pick up UHF and VHF signals, period. Sometimes a coat hanger will do. If you are in the fringe areas for transmission, a signal booster attached to the antenna will be needed. If your going to spend that kind of money, get the Glomax antenna with the booster that is built for the marine environment. Chuck
__________________

__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06   #3
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
This is just another expensive gadget. You do not need any special antenna to pick up over the air HDTV. You need an antenna that will pick up UHF and VHF signals, period. Sometimes a coat hanger will do. If you are in the fringe areas for transmission, a signal booster attached to the antenna will be needed. If your going to spend that kind of money, get the Glomax antenna with the booster that is built for the marine environment. Chuck
Thanks for the input. I take it, however, your answer to my question then, is no?
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18   #4
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Mohu Sky HDTV Antenna

Your question seems to be, will it hold up in the marine environment. I can't answer that and suspect that any antenna will hold up for some period of time. I am just suggesting that if your going to spend that kind of money, why not buy an antenna that is designed for the marine environment and then you will have the answer before you make your purchase. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31   #5
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Your question seems to be, will it hold up in the marine environment. I can't answer that and suspect that any antenna will hold up for some period of time. I am just suggesting that if your going to spend that kind of money, why not buy an antenna that is designed for the marine environment and then you will have the answer before you make your purchase. Chuck
My last post was far too snarky than I intended. I really do appreciate the input, but I (or others) could already have the antenna, been given it as a gift or came across a really good deal on it. If that's the case, why buy another if it will work perfectly fine.

Spec wise it's pretty good and an all plastic exterior is attractive for a boat. So I was curious if anyone had specific experience with it on a boat.
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Posts: 92
Re: Mohu Sky HDTV Antenna

I am going to be one of "those" posters that has something to say but has no experience with the exact product that you are asking about because I think it may help other people. You do NOT need a "marine" antenna to get off air TV broadcasts. I bought a standard omnidirectional power boosted antenna for less than $50 at a discount store. I don't put it outside, it just sits on top of a locker in my forward cabin and works GREAT! Cheap and effective.
__________________
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45   #7
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRapture40 View Post
I am going to be one of "those" posters that has something to say but has no experience with the exact product that you are asking about because I think it may help other people. You do NOT need a "marine" antenna to get off air TV broadcasts. I bought a standard omnidirectional power boosted antenna for less than $50 at a discount store. I don't put it outside, it just sits on top of a locker in my forward cabin and works GREAT! Cheap and effective.
What kind of range do you think you get?
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Posts: 92
Re: Mohu Sky HDTV Antenna

I'm guessing 30 miles or so(which is about as far as you are going to get with off air). I am not sure where the antennas are, but I am tied up in Kingston, WA and am getting all of the Seattle stations (including HiDef) with no problem at all.
__________________

__________________
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.