Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 02:01   #1

Boat: Oyster 56
MMSI programing on icom radio

I have a IC506, and it happened that i had to change MMSI - boat change. The manual says this can only done by the distributor for security reasons.

I always do this kind of stuff on my own, but this time i was not able to find the instructions on the web. I then got a hint from a friend and managed to reset the MMSI (you have to apply logical high to one of the pins plus press combination of keys at power-up). And now to the point, why this procedure has to be kept in secret? Maybe not to swap identity while underway - but this would be illegal anyway... If there are bad guys around they can afford to pay the service to do the reprogramming. And on the other hand, i can always reprogram my AIS transponder, so where is the point?

Can i publish this procedure without consequences?
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:25   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2
Re: MMSI programing on icom radio

Its the FCC rules that say that the user cannot change the MMSI to prevent (reduce) abuse, so the manufacturers have to implement it somehow.

Unfortunately, like many rules, it makes life harder for the honest folk.

That said, the restriction is imposed on the manufacturer, not you. There are also rules against inputting an MMSI that is not yours, and for AIS equipment, against user programming of certain settings... but that would restrict how the info is used, not the info itself.

You might be enabling some rule-breaking, but not doing the breaking yourself. Then again, I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV.

... but I do have a friend who legitimately needs to change an MMSI in an Icom located abroad, where the dealer refuses to do so preferring to sell him a new radio (not gonna happen), so that info would be very useful. By PM if you prefer not to post.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 09:04   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Here's what the user manual says for my radio ... it's an M304, so an older/simpler model, but maybe the process is similar.

Note it says that the programming can only be performed TWICE in the lifetime of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1860
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	146518  
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 22:02   #4

Good day Gentlmans

As I understand from your first post you succeed to change MMSI on your Icom IC-M506 so please is it possible to send me procedure on my email since you can not post it.
Bruskin@net.hr
Thanks in advance 😀
Bruskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 07:26   #5

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

Icom charged me $95 to reset the MMSI on my handheld!
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 06:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Note: I am an Icom Dealer...

You need special software and special cables from Icom in order to change the MMSI on the radio if it has already been programmed. This is due to the law requiring manufacturers to make it hard for owners to reprogram the radios. Too many sailors were incorrectly programming the radios. This is the same reason that AIS Transponders need to be programmed by a dealer before being shipped to the customer.

You need the Icom Radio Cloning software, which only dealers can get from Icom, and you need a custom cloning cable from Icom for the radio.. The dealer cost for the software and cables combined is over $100.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s57ra View Post
I have a IC506, and it happened that i had to change MMSI - boat change. The manual says this can only done by the distributor for security reasons.

I always do this kind of stuff on my own, but this time i was not able to find the instructions on the web. I then got a hint from a friend and managed to reset the MMSI (you have to apply logical high to one of the pins plus press combination of keys at power-up). And now to the point, why this procedure has to be kept in secret? Maybe not to swap identity while underway - but this would be illegal anyway... If there are bad guys around they can afford to pay the service to do the reprogramming. And on the other hand, i can always reprogram my AIS transponder, so where is the point?

To do this on IC-M506EURO, you will need CS-M506 software and
OPC-478UC cable + OPC-980 cable.

CS-M506 you could get (maybe) for free on some forums, e.g. https://hamfiles.co.uk or buy on eBay.

There is no replacement option for OPC-478UC cable, so you will have to buy original one. OPC-980 cable could be DIY with Amphenol LTW BD-08BFFA-LL7001.
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 08:35   #8

Any chance you still have these instructions around? Trying to reset a legitimately sold ICOM m506 without the hassle of shipping it back to ICOM. i've called a bunch of distributors and none of them know anything about the software or cable or process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s57ra View Post

dylanglockler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 08:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

You can probably post it without consequenses, but can someone use it without voiding any possible warranty and possibly damaging the radio?

We, Sea-Tech, will do the reprogramming, but we use the correct Icom factory cable and software. And we charge $50 for the programming and return shipping within the US, customer needs to mail/ship the radio to us though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanglockler View Post
Any chance you still have these instructions around? Trying to reset a legitimately sold ICOM m506 without the hassle of shipping it back to ICOM. i've called a bunch of distributors and none of them know anything about the software or cable or process.
Old 31-01-2022, 08:45   #10

Appreciate the reply - definitely prefer to have it done properly like you suggest. I'm sure others could benefit from that service. Are you (Sea-Tech) located in Florida? The radio was here in Ft Lauderdale (where I am), but the person I sold it to now has it in Alameda, California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
You can probably post it without consequenses, but can someone use it without voiding any possible warranty and possibly damaging the radio?

We, Sea-Tech, will do the reprogramming, but we use the correct Icom factory cable and software. And we charge $50 for the programming and return shipping within the US, customer needs to mail/ship the radio to us though.
Old 31-01-2022, 08:47   #11
Marine Service Provider

I am actually in N. Idaho, previously based in Seattle. Could USPS Priority mail it here and I’d send it back to whichever address is needed.

I am a registered business in FL however, due to level of sales there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanglockler View Post
Appreciate the reply - definitely prefer to have it done properly like you suggest. I'm sure others could benefit from that service. Are you (Sea-Tech) located in Florida? The radio was here in Ft Lauderdale (where I am), but the person I sold it to now has it in Alameda, California.
Old 31-01-2022, 08:52   #12

Ok, there is a communications shop right in Alameda that is checking for me to see if they have the cable and software. If that works out, it's ideal to avoid shipping, if not I'll circle back to you in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
I am actually in N. Idaho, previously based in Seattle. Could USPS Priority mail it here and I’d send it back to whichever address is needed.

I am a registered business in FL however, due to level of sales there.
Old 01-02-2022, 16:42   #13

I just got my M506 back from Icom. They re-programmed the MMSI for $50 and were (relatively) quick about it. Since it is winter here I wasn't in a rush. Totally ridiculous that this can't be done by the user.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:12   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

[QUOTE=Totally ridiculous that this can't be done by the user.[/QUOTE]

You’d have to lobby the FCC to change their rule. Icom are just following the law, such as it is.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline452 View Post
You’d have to lobby the FCC to change their rule. Icom are just following the law, such as it is.
Yes. Did not mean to imply anything about Icom -- I have been happy with their service and products. But the FCC limitation on this is silly in my view.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, radio