Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2015, 14:01   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
MMSI for a new boat

I have just purchased a new boat that will be used in international waters. I understand I can't use BoatUS for obtaining an MMSI for my DSC and my AIS. The FCC website says I need my documentation number for registration, but my agent said it will take a while to get my documentatin number for the boat. Can I obtain an MMSI from the FCC without registration or documentation number? Thanks.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:24   #2
Eternal Member

Re: MMSI for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
I have just purchased a new boat that will be used in international waters. I understand I can't use BoatUS for obtaining an MMSI for my DSC and my AIS. The FCC website says I need my documentation number for registration, but my agent said it will take a while to get my documentatin number for the boat. Can I obtain an MMSI from the FCC without registration or documentation number? Thanks.
The MMSI number is assigned when you document your boat's transmitting equipment and apply for a Station License from the FCC. You're right that the Boat US MMSI isn't good for use abroad, because it typically is NOT registered in the ITU international boat database.

When you apply for the radio license, check everything: VHF, HF, radar, EPIRB, satphone, etc. even if you don't have the equipment yet. Thus, you will be covered and won't have to apply again. I believe the cost these days is about $200.

Typically, it doesn't take very long to get the station and radio licenses. You'll need two:

1. a STATION LICENSE for the boat; and
2. an OPERATOR's PERMIT for the user.

The STATION LICENSE is good for 10 years. The OPERATOR'S PERMIT is good for life.

You can apply for these on the FCC website. There are several types of operator's permits...the one you want is the Restricted license -- no test.

Documentation of the boat by the USCG is quite another matter. Your agent may be able to advise you, but mainly you have to show proof of the history of ownership of the boat...continuously since manufacture.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:28   #3

Bill

Great input. You're the bomb. Thanks. I was told the other day it is taking months to get the documentation from USCG. I plan on taking the boat offshore as soon as I take delivery. I know I can clear into Mexico with an agent certificate/affidavit of document application, but sure hope I can use my AIS/VHF.
Old 14-04-2015, 14:38   #4
Eternal Member

Well, the FCC is pretty fast. You should be able to get the Station License and Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit before you leave.

By the way, for a quick check on how long it's taking these days, suggest you call Gary Jensen at Dockside Radio in Punta Gorda (www.docksideradio.com). Gary can also handle all the paperwork for you if you like....not a bad idea because the FCC website is a mess!

Good luck,

Bill
Old 14-04-2015, 14:55   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I just got my station license within the last few weeks. I filled out the forms online and during the night they emailed me my MMSI, so it's pretty quick.

I don't think you need a MMSI on the RX side for AIS to work, but maybe you want to TX.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:59   #6

I want to transmit AID and I think I need the license to be legal with the VHF/DSC. did you have your registration/documentation number when you applied online?
Old 14-04-2015, 15:08   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'd give the FCC a call.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:44   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

You need the U.S. Coast guard number to enable the MMSI to work. When your EPIRB goes off or make a DCS distress call they get the MMSI number. They then use that to get the coast guard number which leads them into the personal info and details about the boat. So you need the coast guard number to put on the FCC application.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 16:02   #9

Boat: Tartan T4400

EPIRB have a unique ID number for each unit it has nothing to do with the MMSI number.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 16:29   #10
Eternal Member

Correct (unique EPIRB number, registered with NOAA).

However, even to buy an AIS tranceiver -- transmitter and receiver -- you will need the MMSI number. Many times, you cannot even buy one without that number because the vendor has to enter it.

As I said above, when you apply for the Station Licence, just check every equipment box on the application.

Bill
Old 14-04-2015, 16:43   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

His problem is that the USCG is way backed up on issuing documentation--he needs to talk to the FCC to see if he can get a license/MMSI without the documentation number.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 16:58   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
MMSI for a new boat

I received my temp documentation number in a few weeks after sending my application back in August of 2014. Is the USCG not doing temp documentation any more?
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 20:05   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
EPIRB have a unique ID number for each unit it has nothing to do with the MMSI number.
The EPIRB number is not an MMSI number. But the EPIRB database contains your MMSI (or it should contain).
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 04:13   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I have read elsewhere that USCG isn't doing temp documentation anymore; dunno if true. I have also read elsewhere that USCG will do a rush job if you call and ask (beg?); ditto dunno if true.

Our "official ship number" is entered on the FCC "Radio Station Authorization" (SA-Ship Recreational or Voluntary Equipped) form. Dunno if a state registration number would have sufficed, but FCC would be able to answer that. (Presumably there are registered -- i.e., not documented -- boats out there with radio licenses and MMSI numbers.)

The boat info is not on the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit.

-Chris
Old 16-04-2015, 03:38   #15

Boat: Lagoon 400

State registration number if fine for FCC purposes.
No need for USCG number.
I have registered a boat VHF station with the FCC for a client of mine two days ago using only Delaware registration number. Already got callsign and mmsi.