Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 14:27   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
MMSI# After Selling Boat?

So, I'm selling the boat soon but can the MMSI # be transferred?
I've checked out the FCC website where I acquired it, with a ships license. But if I read it right I have to cancel the license.
The radios and other instruments have the MMSI programmed into them, which is very difficult/complicated to change.

Has anyone else sold a boat and had to deal with this?

Instruments include;
2) VHF mounted radios
1) hand held VHF/GPS radio
1) AIS class B
Old 08-11-2015, 14:55   #2

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470
Re: MMSI# After Selling Boat?

I just went through this. I had to cancel the MMSI and Radio License. I had Standard Horizon remove the MMSI from my GX 2200 Radio and a Raymarine tech clear the MMSI from the AIS. Hope this helps.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:01   #3

I'm hoping there's an easier way. But I suspect this is going to be the case.

I do know if it was acquired thru BoatsUS that it can be transferred by filling out one of their forms. But FCC???
Old 08-11-2015, 15:07   #4

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

https://www.fcc.gov/document/maritim...-public-notice

I suppose if your brave you can leave it up to the new owner. I'm not that brave.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:41   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench'sCaptain View Post
https://www.fcc.gov/document/maritim...-public-notice

I suppose if your brave you can leave it up to the new owner. I'm not that brave.

That document specifically says "after the vessel is sold,the seller is responsible"... for getting in contact with the original issuing agent.....
The new owner is responsible for ensuring he has the correct MMSI.......

Read the doc. Find out what outfit issued the MMSI & contact them.

Now-I gotta find out how to do it in Canada / Len
Old 09-11-2015, 08:23   #6

Boat: Saare 41cc

In the UK the MMSI goes with the boat so all you need to do if the equipment is staying on board is to surrender the license. The new owner applies for a new license and retains the MMSI number so no reprogramming unless you don't sell MMSI coded equipment with the boat.

If you keep the equipment you will need to have the old MMSI number removed before it can be used. This may involve a return to the retailer/manufacturer for which you can expect a charge but in some cases it can be done by the user. Some radios have an engineering menu which is accessed by an odd combination of button presses, usually while switching on. Once into this you can clear the old MMSI and the radio is ready for re-use. I posted a request on a forum with exact details of the radio (in my case a Navman) and received a reply by PM with instructions on how to do it.
Derek Lumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:25   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
So, I'm selling the boat soon but can the MMSI # be transferred?
I've checked out the FCC website where I acquired it, with a ships license. But if I read it right I have to cancel the license.
The radios and other instruments have the MMSI programmed into them, which is very difficult/complicated to change.

Has anyone else sold a boat and had to deal with this?

Instruments include;
2) VHF mounted radios
1) hand held VHF/GPS radio
1) AIS class B
Delmarrey,

We successfully transferred the previous owner's MMSI# to us when we bought our current boat in May 2014. It was easy [no extra steps] but requires a phone call to the FCC help desk folks [who were extremely helpful and efficient...]

The result was we didn't have to reprogram any of the existing instruments with a new MMSI#.

The current 'owner' of the MMSI to be transferred does need to cancel it with the FCC before the new person can 'inherit' the same MMSI#, but don't proceed before their help desk provides you with instructions.

Call the FCC Help Line [1 (888) 225-5322] and follow their instructions carefully so you only pay for what is necessary to accomplish this MMSI# transfer...

It may be by now they have forms online for accomplishing a transfer, but I would still ask them how to proceed if I were doing it again.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 09-11-2015, 09:11   #8

Canucks do it through their local Industry Canada office. Ms Google is your friend.
TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Delmarrey,

We successfully transferred the previous owner's MMSI# to us when we bought our current boat in May 2014. It was easy [no extra steps] but requires a phone call to the FCC help desk folks [who were extremely helpful and efficient...]

The result was we didn't have to reprogram any of the existing instruments with a new MMSI#.

The current 'owner' of the MMSI to be transferred does need to cancel it with the FCC before the new person can 'inherit' the same MMSI#, but don't proceed before their help desk provides you with instructions.

Call the FCC Help Line [1 (888) 225-5322] and follow their instructions carefully so you only pay for what is necessary to accomplish this MMSI# transfer...

It may be by now they have forms online for accomplishing a transfer, but I would still ask them how to proceed if I were doing it again.

Cheers!

Bill
Thank Bill,
I really get tired of reading all the BS on government web sites. They seem to go in circles. But, That's more like what I was looking for. I did research the FCC site for a transfer form/application but came up empty.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:18   #10

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lumb View Post
In the UK the MMSI goes with the boat so all you need to do if the equipment is staying on board is to surrender the license. The new owner applies for a new license and retains the MMSI number so no reprogramming unless you don't sell MMSI coded equipment with the boat.

If you keep the equipment you will need to have the old MMSI number removed before it can be used. This may involve a return to the retailer/manufacturer for which you can expect a charge but in some cases it can be done by the user. Some radios have an engineering menu which is accessed by an odd combination of button presses, usually while switching on. Once into this you can clear the old MMSI and the radio is ready for re-use. I posted a request on a forum with exact details of the radio (in my case a Navman) and received a reply by PM with instructions on how to do it.
I have ICOM HF and VHF and you can only change the MMSI twice yourself, then you need a technician.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:26   #11

Sounds to me like "old school" VHF's will be increasing in price instead of going down..!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:45   #12

Boat: Ontario32

In the cold white north you can contact Industry Canada in Ottawa to switch over the MMSI number as the purchaser of the vessel. It is also easier if you can have the registration (federal) completed first.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:57   #13

Seriously though, just take your radios with you....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:12   #14

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew of Turning View Post
In the cold white north you can contact Industry Canada in Ottawa to switch over the MMSI number as the purchaser of the vessel. It is also easier if you can have the registration (federal) completed first.
If your planning on going south and the vessel is US registered, better to leave it that way. Although; for cruising offshore less hassles with Federal registered than Provincial/State.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:29   #15

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Delmarrey,

Cheers!

Bill
Bill, we purchased a boat in July 2015 and with the previous owners cooperation we were able to transfer the MMSI#'s to us. Our experience was the same as yours. The EPIRB was easy to transfer as well with updated information reflecting the new ownership.

Caleb