Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 01:15   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Mini 12 volt PC or Lap Top to connect to LG Ultra Wide split Screen?

I’m use to using two screen Monitors at work.

The world has moved on Now LG created a LG 25" 21:9 2560x1080 UltraWide IPS LED Monitor a few years ago that can split into 4 different windows at once. I ordered one on line my plan is to install it on My boat because it runs on Both DC. and AC power and runs on 1.5 amps.

Skoiern IV I has a 12 volt power setup. Now I also have two trusty Lap tops On Panasonic Tough Book CF 31 with Windows 10 and OpenPC software and also my trusty 7 year Old Compaq with Windows XP Pro I’m very use too using (Stop the world, don’t keep changing good software!) on which I am composing this message.. Both have Airplane type DC converters to run the Lap tops.

Now my question: I don’t want to use an inverter if possible for thoughts in the know, has any of you had installed a mini PC’s ? Should I use one of my laptops to connect to this new Ultra wide monitor screen? If so how do I deactivate the Lap top monitor screen while I’m connected to the New LG Ultra wide monitor?

OR should I buy a New 12 volt fan less Mini PC to run the LG monitor, as an independent system to my LT’s, If so which brand of Mini Computer would be best to run on 12 volt that is economic power consumption wise.

The LG wide split monitor I plan to use for work on the boat for say writing say a Business plan which involves referencing a number of Documents at once split across a number of windows (a few times a year). But mostly some how adapt it for running Open CP software for electronic navigation Charts. And on another part of the monitor place Google earth side by side for reference navigating in Tricky areas double checking the charts.

Thanks for reading this message,

Whishing you all, Best navigational Experiences.

SV. Skoiern IV
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 02:19   #2

Re: Mini 12 volt PC or Lap Top to connect to LG Ultra Wide split Screen?

MITX motherboards are available in low power requirement versions that can run from 12volt power supplies. Depending on the height measurements, some can be crammed into a 1U rackmount. The immediate advantages I can see are multiple sata6 connections for hot-swappable, fiber optic out, multiple monitor ports and so on.

Is this a build-your-own project ?
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 03:13   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post

Should I use one of my laptops to connect to this new Ultra wide monitor screen? If so how do I deactivate the Lap top monitor screen while I’m connected to the New LG Ultra wide monitor?

SV. Skoiern IV
When you have more than one monitor connected go to your display options in your control panel. One of the options will be to display on your external monitor only.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 03:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
MITX motherboards are available in low power requirement versions that can run from 12volt power supplies. Depending on the height measurements, some can be crammed into a 1U rackmount. The immediate advantages I can see are multiple sata6 connections for hot-swappable, fiber optic out, multiple monitor ports and so on.

Is this a build-your-own project ?
Thank you - Yes it is my own boat and Project, however I'm a buy plug and play kind of fellow. I leave it to the guys who love to build this kind of stuff like you have suggested, I know what a mother board is when I see one, I just know it looks nice and interesting but also I know my limits.
Old 15-04-2016, 03:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
When you have more than one monitor connected go to your display options in your control panel. One of the options will be to display on your external monitor only.
Thank you - yes I do know how to enter the display menu however I never worked out shutting down the Lap Top screen I end up with both Screens on Numbered one and two. I haven't figured out how to shut down the Lap Top which I indecated as screen No 2.
Old 15-04-2016, 03:34   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Thank you - yes I do know how to enter the display menu however I never worked out shutting down the Lap Top screen I end up with both Screens on Numbered one and two. I haven't figured out how to shut down the Lap Top which I indecated as screen No 2.
Did you find a menu where the options were something like; clone, extend, external only? That's where you need to be.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 04:50   #7

Noticed that "connect to a projector" on my CF-19 Mk.5 offers "computer only, duplicate, extend, projector only" settings.

No idea if that's relevant though, sorry.
I don't use an external monitor or projector so I haven't seen whatever options become available when a monitor is connected.

Would using power options to turn off the display in, say, one minute leave the external monitor on or would it turn that off too I wonder?

CF-31, like all the Toughbooks, can run directly from 12V (or 120/240V) with the Lind charger if that helps. I keep one on the boat and one in the car.

Panasonic forum on NotebookReview would be the best place to ask.

btw: do you know you can run GE inside OpenCPN?
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 09:06   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 48

I'm not an IT whizzkid myself but more like an experienced user. For navigation I use a small Samsung laptop and Navionic cards runnend on a dutch programma from Yacht Control. This setup works perfectly. The systeem runs on Windows XP home edition, changing from on screen to another of to both works well.
I'm also considering a new computer but a fanless 12V PC is to my liking to expensive. On internet I found a Pocket Mini PC, Ockel Sirius B for around €200 including Windows 10.
Have not bought it het but it seems to me a much cheaper solution for working with a larger screen like the LG.
Hans anyone experience with type of PC?
AndreBruijntjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 09:11   #9

Boat: TBC

If you're looking for a cheap option then there's the ASUS EEE range of PC's
I have two on my boat running quite happily from 12v
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 10:44   #10

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

Try the rasberry pi. It is a small linux based computer that can run opencpn and the software is designed for TV. You would need an internet connection to watch any show out there right after it shows on the networks. Has movies too.
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 10:57   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgann454 View Post
Try the rasberry pi. It is a small linux based computer that can run opencpn and the software is designed for TV. You would need an internet connection to watch any show out there right after it shows on the networks. Has movies too.
Big +1
A Pi 3 with the openplotter operating system image really is a viable option now, plenty fast enough for OpenCPN, draws not much more than 0.1a with the monitor turned off, easily viewed from a tablet & will broadcast gps & ais data to anything listening. Add a few dollars worth of thermometers and you can watch the temperature of your exhaust,/head/alternator etc.
No ties just a big fan

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:35   #12

Boat: wanting a cat

Intel NUC....

newegg
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:47   #13

Boat: Hylas 47

I've been very pleased with the Azulle Quantum Byte I purchased from Amazon for a bit under $170. Fanless, sips power, runs on 12v, ships with Windows 10 and does a fine job running OpenCPN.

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
gdavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:59   #14

TLDR; hack your monitor and the thoughbook is all you will need.

Quote:
The world has moved on Now LG created a LG 25" 21:9 2560x1080 UltraWide IPS LED Monitor a few years ago that can split into 4 different windows at once. I ordered one on line my plan is to install it on My boat because it runs on Both DC. and AC power and runs on 1.5 amps.
I once stumbled across old HP monitors with an external powersupply that delivers 12V DC to the display. Needless to mention that I grabbed those two displays.

One thing I want to try out in future is to open my nice IPS display and figure out how to skip the AC-DC converter in it. My bet is that is also delivering 12V, and if you search or alibaba or ebay for display driver boards you'll notice that all of them run on 12V DC! So, if you are keen on this or have some help, get out the screwdriver and soldering iron for your IPS monitor and convert it from AC to DC input. Not that there might still be some new monitors out there with an external DC power supply. I'm too lazy to google that now.

Quote:
Skoiern IV I has a 12 volt power setup. Now I also have two trusty Lap tops On Panasonic Tough Book CF 31 with Windows 10 and OpenPC software and also my trusty 7 year Old Compaq with Windows XP Pro I’m very use too using (Stop the world, don’t keep changing good software!) on which I am composing this message.. Both have Airplane type DC converters to run the Lap tops.
Nice Toughbook but the old compaq might be too greedy in regards of the power consumption. Did you consider a Virtual Box for your XP system to run it from within your Windows 10 toughbook?

Quote:
Now my question: I don’t want to use an inverter if possible for thoughts in the know, has any of you had installed a mini PC’s ?
Only reason for a mini pc instead of an ultrabook is if you need a dedicated graphics card. But even with a mini pc you can get quite small these days.

Quote:
Should I use one of my laptops to connect to this new Ultra wide monitor screen? If so how do I deactivate the Lap top monitor screen while I’m connected to the New LG Ultra wide monitor?
The display will need it's own power but see above. Deactivating shouldn't be a problem, at least for me with a Linux system. Not a windows user I'm afraid.

Quote:
OR should I buy a New 12 volt fan less Mini PC to run the LG monitor, as an independent system to my LT’s, If so which brand of Mini Computer would be best to run on 12 volt that is economic power consumption wise.
Build your own, pcpartpicker.com will help you to make sure it all fits into the smallest case you can find and tell you about the power consumption as well. Skip the AC power supply and go for a DC one. People use those in cars, and so can we! Silverstone ML07B and RVZ01B are two cases that are ridicusly small and yet allow for a full size graphics card. Btw, I'm using a GTX 750 as the power consumption of that graphics card is really low even though it is a mid-high-end card.
thomaskoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 15:05   #15

Um, when connecting my pc to the tv via hdmi, I just plug it in and the laptop goes blank and the tv lights up. Also, you have a function key (fn+ number key) that will toggle the various displays on, off or both. Look for it!
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen