Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 14:46   #1

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
Mikrotik 951hi router to groove52hpn

Any configuring tips? My router got fried but the groove wasn't connected at the time.cu
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 15:33   #2

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: MicroFilm 951hi router to groove52hpn

Maybe you should review the title of your post.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 16:06   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: MicroFilm 951hi router to groove52hpn

Hmmm....

Groovy MicroFilm?

What's on it? Pictures of top secret documents? Naked pictures of some government official?

Do tell.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:41   #4

Unhappy Re: Mikrotik 951hi router to groove52hpn

Ok, so the router got fried in a storm. I can't config the new one to allow access to the groove even though the 951 is scanning the various AP's I've gone thru the you tube stuff to no avail...
Groove (cpe) user list shows my user but it's not active, router (cpe) user list doesn't show my user at all...stumped am I
Old 13-11-2018, 14:09   #5

Boat: Alubat Ovni 435
Re: Mikrotik 951hi router to groove52hpn

you need to gi through it stage by stage.
Start with just the groove52hpn and a laptop.
make sure you can connect to internet with just the laptop, groove and poe power supply.
Once that is working, then move on to the microtik to redistribute that working connection.

garry
gcrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 07:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

It sounds like your new router does not have a default configuration. If it did it would be set as a "Wisp AP" rather than a "CPE".

If the current routerOS is probably outdated and needs to be upgraded. Follow the steps below to update to the latest routerOS v6.43.4 and you will have a functioning router set as a " Wisp AP" at the factory defaults.

1. Go to https://mikrotik.com/download and download MIPSBE v6.43.4 . While you are there download the latest version of the Mikrotik Utility called "Winbox.exe". This is a better program to use for working with a Mikrotik than your web browser.
2. Upload the routerOS file to your "Files" directory in your router.
3. Go to "System->Reboot" and reboot your router.
4. When it comes back up go to "System->Routerboard" , click "Upgrade" and agree to to the upgrade.
5. Go to "System->Reset Configuration" and check mark "Do Not Backup" then click on "Reset Configuration" and agree to reboot and reset.

When your router comes back up it will have a factory default configuration and will be ready to use. If your Groove is set as a CPE giving out IP's in a subnet other than 192.168.88.0/24 then all you need to do is plug it into Port 1 on your router and start using it.

You will need to put your own Network Name, Wifi Password, Login Password and country on your router after you've verified everything is working. After you've customized it with your own personal settings go to "Files" and make a backup file. Do not encrypt the backup. Restore your backup rather than do a Reset when you want to return to known good settings.
Old 16-11-2018, 09:47   #7

Hi Bob- I tried all that and still no go. Is my setup to be "cpe" for both router and groove? I had a login address 192.168.221.20 login cpe -user passwd etc. for webfig. I restored the groove config (older backup) from the files tab but still no work. The only way to see the app's at the marina are to use cpe. My marina has their network a mikrotik in the 192.168.88.xXxX area. Could this be problem? I'm not good with networking as you can see...
Old 16-11-2018, 11:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your router should not be a CPE. It should say "Wisp AP". If you have updated the routerOS and the Routerboard Firmware you should be able to simply reset to factory defaults and it will come up working as a "Wisp AP". Go into the router Quick Set and click the "Reset Configuration" and do another reset and let me know if it changes to a "Wisp AP".

Any CPE using the same subnet as the AP it is connecting to may have problems with the connection. If you reloaded the backup file on your Groove you shouldn't have a problem unless you also upgraded the routerOS on the Groove. Email me a "marinewifi at IslandTimePC.com" and we should be able to get you going.
Old 16-11-2018, 12:05   #9

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If the Groove is still good, consider getting a microtik AirGateway. They are really simple to setup and manageUse almost no power. The only downside is it has the same "Geeky" interface as the Groove
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 03:59   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If the Groove is still good, consider getting a microtik AirGateway. They are really simple to setup and manageUse almost no power. The only downside is it has the same "Geeky" interface as the Groove
I think you mean the "Ubiquiti" AirGateway but it isn't a good alternative to the Mikrotik Groove or the Ubiquiti Bullet.
Old 19-11-2018, 12:07   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
I think you mean the "Ubiquiti" AirGateway but it isn't a good alternative to the Mikrotik Groove or the Ubiquiti Bullet.
You are correct, my bad! but he AirGateway isn't an alternative to the groove or bullet. You use it in addition to the bullet to proved the local AP and firewall/ router functions. let the groove (or bullet) function as a client to connect to the wifi network. That's how I have mine configured. Works great.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route