Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 18:36   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
MFD NavNet Touch2 TZTL15F or TZT14?

Now that my major refit is almost over, it’s time to order a new Nav package.

Furuno has just released their Touch2 which has some great features and add-on’s but appears to be still working on interface issues

Has anyone else compared those 2 choices for a new installation??
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:55   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 43
Re: MFD NavNet Touch2 TZTL15F or TZT14?

I also purchased TZT14 early this year and considering TZT2 12F for nav desk. If it has interface issue, then TZT14 might be better option. I like to hear comments.
bona2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 23:37   #3
CF Adviser

Now that I am at the point of running interface cables, I’m resurrecting this thread as I really need advice and opinions on best way to configuring my new Furuno Electronics with the Pilot house computer.

The big change is that I have built a new cockpit console and put the Furuno MFD TZ Touch 2-15” outside with the new Instruments and autopilot….Just finished the console with instruments installed and I think it looks great, with the Carbon Fiber face.

The Pilothouse traditional Nav station is now more a back-up of Instrument displays for anchor watch. However there is now room to put a big Monitor for the main computer at this starboard console as I have relocated the SSB in my Office

First question…Recommended Size and layout of Starboard Console Monitor….
This Monitor and processor will be used for all the Nav Programs and ships business including a feed of Data to the MFD TZ Touch 2-15” outside

It will also be our Audio-Video entertainment center so finding the right processor and High Res Monitor has me stuck as it will be for Movie Nights as well.

Option 1: I have option to fit a 17” fixed monitor near centerline
Option 2: A bigger Monitor in corner that can swing out to be viewed from helm station and for Movies

What size and resolution would you recommend?
Which Option would you choose as to Layout?

Thanks in advance
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 2016 COCKPIT CONSOLE 001.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	127776   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 NEW CONSOLE DSC_3932.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	127777  

Name:	3 NEW CONSOLE DSC_3935.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	127778   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Pilothouse .jpg
Views:	453
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	127779  

Name:	5 Option 1 Pilothouse  .jpg
Views:	579
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	127780   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Option 2 FURUNO Pilothouse.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	127781  

Name:	7 2016 PILOTHOUSE CONSOLE 001.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	127782  
Old 14-07-2016, 01:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

My comments on this, based on running a similar system:

1. Don't try to combine nav computer functions with entertainment. I have a 23" 4K monitor for nav functions and a 32" Samsung TV for entertainment. I do put nav functions on the TV (either OpenCPN or mirror the plotter screen) for viewability away from the nav table, but never the other way around. YMMV.

2. That being said, in my opinion 17" is too small for this. If you're using it for route planning, especially if you have raster charts, then you will really want it to be at least 21" I think and full HD at a very minimum (and I highly recommend 4K if the program and computer support it).

3. You will find it extremely useful to have nav computer monitor and Furuno MFD side by side. For collision avoidance or other times you use the radar intensively, leave the MFD screen on radar and do other things (including AIS -- superlative AIS display on OpenCPN) on the nav computer monitor. If you can fit the large Furuno MFD and a computer monitor on the same panel, go for it, I would say.

4. No need for a separate GPS display. I actually love and need the traditional GPS display with position, SOG, COG, DTW, ETA, etc. but you can get that screen on any modern instrument MFD like the Triton, and you can display the same information in an instrument bar on the MFD. OpenCPN will also display this. Much better use that space for another instrument MFD. I have one Maretron DSM250 and one Triton at my nav table, and wouldn't at all mind a second Triton. And that's just a nav station below decks; for a pilothouse nav station I think I would want a pretty complete suite of displays, maybe three or four instrument displays in addition to the radar/plotter displays.

5. Do you work the pilot from the nav station, or only from the helm station? You might be able to eliminate the wheel with the right pilot control and do everything from the nav station. I don't know about the Furuno, but the B&G Zeus has a quite good pilot control built into the plotter MFD. Add a joystick and you're done.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 22:41   #5
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My comments on this, based on running a similar system:

1. Don't try to combine nav computer functions with entertainment. I have a 23" 4K monitor for nav functions and a 32" Samsung TV for entertainment. I do put nav functions on the TV (either OpenCPN or mirror the plotter screen) for viewability away from the nav table, but never the other way around. YMMV.

2. That being said, in my opinion 17" is too small for this. If you're using it for route planning, especially if you have raster charts, then you will really want it to be at least 21" I think and full HD at a very minimum (and I highly recommend 4K if the program and computer support it).

3. You will find it extremely useful to have nav computer monitor and Furuno MFD side by side. For collision avoidance or other times you use the radar intensively, leave the MFD screen on radar and do other things (including AIS -- superlative AIS display on OpenCPN) on the nav computer monitor. If you can fit the large Furuno MFD and a computer monitor on the same panel, go for it, I would say.

4. No need for a separate GPS display. I actually love and need the traditional GPS display with position, SOG, COG, DTW, ETA, etc. but you can get that screen on any modern instrument MFD like the Triton, and you can display the same information in an instrument bar on the MFD. OpenCPN will also display this. Much better use that space for another instrument MFD. I have one Maretron DSM250 and one Triton at my nav table, and wouldn't at all mind a second Triton. And that's just a nav station below decks; for a pilothouse nav station I think I would want a pretty complete suite of displays, maybe three or four instrument displays in addition to the radar/plotter displays.

5. Do you work the pilot from the nav station, or only from the helm station? You might be able to eliminate the wheel with the right pilot control and do everything from the nav station. I don't know about the Furuno, but the B&G Zeus has a quite good pilot control built into the plotter MFD. Add a joystick and you're done.

Hi Dockhead, we actually reviewed this on another Thread on Monitors, but to update you....
My consoles are now finished and equipment installed except the monitor
Purchased last week a new SSD Win 10 Laptop and studying how to integrate the OpenCpn with MaxSea from the pilothouse to feed the MFD cockpit unit

Latest Smart TV's come out in june with supposedly much faster processor and I feel (but dont know) that this would work well in my setup.

All thoughts are welcome
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 1 1 1 BUILD STBD CONSOLE.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	145358   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 1 1 1 BUILD PORT CONSOLE.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	145359  

Name:	1 1 1 1 BUILD COCKPIT CONSOLE.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	145360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified SCAN INTERFACE 001.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	145361  

Old 14-04-2017, 06:22   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Dockhead, we actually reviewed this on another Thread on Monitors, but to update you....
My consoles are now finished and equipment installed except the monitor
Purchased last week a new SSD Win 10 Laptop and studying how to integrate the OpenCpn with MaxSea from the pilothouse to feed the MFD cockpit unit

Latest Smart TV's come out in june with supposedly much faster processor and I feel (but dont know) that this would work well in my setup.

All thoughts are welcome
Looking great!

Concerning TVs -- do you really need a smart TV at all? I'm not sure ANY of the smart TV functions are meaningful, if you don't have a hard wired Internet connection. Even with that, they are not so useful if you have a computer handy, at least the way I use TVs.

The TV function which is valuable in my opinion is what is called over here the freeview tuner, which allows the TV to directly decode digital broadcast. I don't really watch TV, but this can be useful sometimes for news, and even more, for radio. In Scandinavia, they feed a whole bunch of radio channels, including a lot of English and other foreign language ones, over the digital TV broadcast system. I like to listen to NPR and other stuff using the TV (BBC you can get on shortwave using the SSB).

Another handy thing to do with the TV is stick a Miracast dongle on it. Then you can stream movies, or put up your browser screen, or whatever, from an Android tablet, wirelessly. There are millions of uses for this. Looking at photos with the whole crew, watching movies, looking at weather reports together, etc., etc, etc., etc.

My large monitor hangs on the forward salon bulkhead, has a Miracast dongle, and a long HDMI cable which leads to the nav table. I can plug this into my plotter and mirror the plotter screen, or into my laptop, or into a DVD player which I can leave on the nav table. If the laptop is running OpenCPN, then I can have that displayed extra large on the bulkhead and easily visible from anywhere in the salon or galley. Very handy!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:35   #7
CF Adviser

The key Smart TV function for me is that it joins my local network so that I can wirelessly share media files from all my devices
no more cables
Also, as I use Android Samsung smart phone for business , the automatic screen mirroring with the Samsung TV, does not even need a network connection.

I don't expect to receive news media directly to the TV except for local broadcasts, but I can gather from other devices if in a marina

Tags
navnet