Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 08:09   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Matsutec AIS output to Wi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
You can connect one serial input into a Pi, but you still need a level converter to take the signal down to 3.3v. Probably easier to get a serial lead and cut it then join to your device. It isn't as simple as just swapping pins to usb, needs electronics inside the converter to do the change from serial to USB.
PL2303 1pc USB To RS232 TTL Converter Adapter Module F Arduino CAR Detection GPS | eBay

should do the trick for what you need
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:54   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Arduino does not have serial pins?

Going thru the USB will see the signal manipulated twice - once at the converter level then onboard arduino from the USB onto the board. And this calls for a USB driver on Arduino too (I think) etc. No?

Why make things so complicated?

Truly no serial pins on Arduinos?

When I free the signal thru wifi routers I pick up routers with serial pins. Then the only conversion is from the signal side down to the board (normally 3.3V) ttl.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 01:38   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Arduino does not have serial pins?

Going thru the USB will see the signal manipulated twice - once at the converter level then onboard arduino from the USB onto the board. And this calls for a USB driver on Arduino too (I think) etc. No?

Why make things so complicated?

Truly no serial pins on Arduinos?
When I free the signal thru wifi routers I pick up routers with serial pins. Then the only conversion is from the signal side down to the board (normally 3.3V) ttl.

b.
Arduino mega has 4 serial tx/Rx and there's a software serial library to use other pins , but as the recent question was about raspberry pi it's not really relevant .
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 06:41   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Arduino mega has 4 serial tx/Rx and there's a software serial library to use other pins , but as the recent question was about raspberry pi it's not really relevant .
Pi ....

Arghhhh. Apologies for cutting in and taking the conversation astray. I mixed up Pi and Arduino. Sorry.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 11:50   #20

Boat: Hohmann Cutter 36

Many thanks to you all. I took the advice of Gypsey23 and bought a Yakker. Very easy to fit and worked right out of the box. Unfortunately i has some problems getting my laptop to connect with OpenCPN but it finally works great. Many thanks to Steve the Yakker man in Australia for his great support on email. Matsutec AIS works great on OpenCPN via Yakker wireless!
Truce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 06:47   #21

Boat: Maxim 380

Not the cheapest option but this is what I used to get ais from my vhf to my laptop with opencpnhttp://www.madmanmarine.com/shop/4576847473/WiFi-Bridges.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 08:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truce View Post
Many thanks to you all. I took the advice of Gypsey23 and bought a Yakker. Very easy to fit and worked right out of the box. Unfortunately i has some problems getting my laptop to connect with OpenCPN but it finally works great. Many thanks to Steve the Yakker man in Australia for his great support on email. Matsutec AIS works great on OpenCPN via Yakker wireless!
Sorry to dig this older post, but can you please tell me how did you conected your Matsutec AIS to the yakker?

Best regards
Johnnynunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 01:00   #23

Boat: Solaris, Sunstream 12, 12.12meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnynunes View Post
Sorry to dig this older post, but can you please tell me how did you conected your Matsutec AIS to the yakker?

Best regards
Would also like to know .

Otherwise ,i have the Matsutec 33a up and running and would like to display the AIS on my open cpn/ lap top..

I have purchased a R232 to USB convertor but no clear how to wire this up to the matsutec 33a ?

Can anyone help in plain non tec language please ?

Thanks!
Ocean Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais