Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 10:18   #1

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter
Market for ICOM 802 Radios

I purchased a sailboat that came with an ICOM 802 SSB system installed. This includes the AT-140 tuner as well. I have not used the system, but a marine electronics shop did a benchtop checkout of the system and all the components checked out fine. I am not sure I would ever use the SSB capabilities for my kind of coastal cruising. Is there much of a market if I wanted to sell the system?
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:36   #2

Re: Market for ICOM 802 Radios

I will buy it
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Whatever raindog offers I'll pay 25 cents more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:48   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

And a nickel over you.(G)

Yes, that system is still very much current and in demand. The installation labor alone may be $500++ so think twice about pulling out it. You'll find the tuner and radio are both still quickly sold on eBay, or in flea markets, or posts around your docks.

The shop that bench-tested it might also have some ideas for you, just don't sell it cheap. (Well, unless it is to one of us.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:04   #5

I would guess the complete set in good condition would go for well over $1000 on ebay.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:08   #6

Thanks for the advice and the offers. All the components, minus the cabling and antenna, were accessible and easy to remove. I have them well packed and stowed while trying to decide what course to take. I used HF radios in the military and have a lot of confidence in the capability, but hate to see the system sit and go to waste waiting on me. I have seen eBay listings though most seem to be for new components rather than used. Based on all the comments it does appear that selling is a viable option.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:49   #7

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

You are certainly correct in saying your Icom is marketable, however, if you sell it, unless your really in need of money, your making a big mistake! I cant begin to tell you how many lives have been saved because the boat had SSB. i have mentioned before on this forum that my SSB saved the life of a woman anchored near us who got to the hospital just before her uterous ruptured. Her husband told us later she was minutes from death. I don't care how coastal you are sailing, remember, S--T happens when you least expect it. Especially at sea!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:19   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

I'm also interested. If you do sell please let me know. I'm crossing the Atlantic in a few months and an SSB is on our shopping list.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 15:17   #9

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
You are certainly correct in saying your Icom is marketable, however, if you sell it, unless your really in need of money, your making a big mistake! I cant begin to tell you how many lives have been saved because the boat had SSB. i have mentioned before on this forum that my SSB saved the life of a woman anchored near us who got to the hospital just before her uterous ruptured. Her husband told us later she was minutes from death. I don't care how coastal you are sailing, remember, S--T happens when you least expect it. Especially at sea!
I will second that. If you need the money and only have one kidney left, then maybe. If not, keep it as you may find it more useful than you think if you just use it. Also, if there are chances you may sell your boat in the next 5 years, it will probably still be a big added value to the boat.

Think long and hard before you decide to sell it.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:12   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Or, you can sell that 1970's technology and buy an Iridium sat phone and have 2010 technology for the same money. Or, you can save the money and buy 2020 technology for a quarter of the price in 5 years.

I've got all the same stuff (I'd like to refer to it as junk) sitting in boxes in my garage. It's been there for 4 years now and I'd actually just give it away except I think it's less than worthless.
Old 08-09-2015, 17:19   #11

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Or, you can sell that 1970's technology and buy an Iridium sat phone and have 2010 technology for the same money. Or, you can save the money and buy 2020 technology for a quarter of the price in 5 years.

I've got all the same stuff (I'd like to refer to it as junk) sitting in boxes in my garage. It's been there for 4 years now and I'd actually just give it away except I think it's less than worthless.
I'll gladly pay the shipping to Cleveland, Ohio .. Just let me know how much
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:40   #12

Okay! Time to ask the question. Am I a second class citizen on this forum? Why is it that I only get a a posting to a thread after there have been numerous replies. Is there is a group that gets first dibs on replies, particularly offers for equipment, or is this truly an open forum? I think not ! So who are the, "Good Old Boys", and how did you join the club? It seems the majority of replies come from the same closed group. Now I really wonder if this post will even make it to the forum.
APKetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 20:05   #13

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

What post?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-09-2015, 20:18   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

I'll beat the shipping to Ohio offer and submit an offer to have someone pick it up in Michigan

Matt
Old 08-09-2015, 20:37   #15

Wow, never thought the post would generate this much useful discussion. I appreciate all the advice. I would probably sell tomorrow if I didn't have visions of sailing to Nova Scotia next summer. I have read many of the arguments of why SSB still trumps satellite-based systems. There are also numerous arguments for making the leap to the newer systems. Looks like I have a lot to mull over.

Tags
icom, radio