Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 07:40   #16

Re: Marine vs non-Marine Adhesive-Lined Heat Shrink Tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Is American SS somehow superior to SS from other countries?
By "American" I believe Bob was referring to the Imperial sizing vs metric sizing. not to country of origin.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 10:18   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Thanks all - you have confirmed what I expect.. and given me a few places to order from
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:28   #18
Marine Service Provider

I'm an engineer of heat shrink tubing for many years. What marine heat shrink tubing requires is waterproof, so any adhesive lined heat shrink tubing is suitable. The key is which type of heat shrink tubing could supply plenty adhesive, and there are also several different types of adhesive. As to my experience, I suggest you could try medium wall heat shrink tubing with adhesive. Or dual wall heat shrink tubing if you want it to be more flexible.
dicorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:33   #19

Boat: Tartan 3800

There are many grades of heat shrink. To characterize them as "marine" and "non-marine" isn't particularly useful.

In most electrical and electronic assemblies, the purpose of heat shrink is to provide electrical insulation, not water resistance. Thin wall tubing is best for that because it is easier to work with, less expensive, more flexible, and uses up less space in the wire bundle. And that is the sort of heat shrink you would want to use in a dry environment, if for example you're working on the connections to your breaker panel below decks.

Double-wall heat shrink provides better water resistance.

You can get products with 3:1 shrinkage for covering odd shapes or so you need fewer sizes in your toolkit. 2:1 is more common.

You can get black which is more UV resistant, or clear which lets you confirm that the inside glue has melted and adhered, or colors which are useful for marking polarity of things like battery cables.

Electronic supply houses, like Mouser and Newark, have the largest selection. They have precut lengths, kits, and long rolls.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 21:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There are many grades of heat shrink. To characterize them as "marine" and "non-marine" isn't particularly useful.

In most electrical and electronic assemblies, the purpose of heat shrink is to provide electrical insulation, not water resistance. Thin wall tubing is best for that because it is easier to work with, less expensive, more flexible, and uses up less space in the wire bundle. And that is the sort of heat shrink you would want to use in a dry environment, if for example you're working on the connections to your breaker panel below decks.

Double-wall heat shrink provides better water resistance.

You can get products with 3:1 shrinkage for covering odd shapes or so you need fewer sizes in your toolkit. 2:1 is more common.

You can get black which is more UV resistant, or clear which lets you confirm that the inside glue has melted and adhered, or colors which are useful for marking polarity of things like battery cables.

Electronic supply houses, like Mouser and Newark, have the largest selection. They have precut lengths, kits, and long rolls.
I agree with you that at most situation, single wall heat shrink tubing will be enough. I am a supplier of heat shrink tubing, from my point of view, the prices are good enough to use adhesive lined heat shrink tube at all situation in marine. Maybe the retail price of adhesive lined heat shrink tube will be much higher than single wall tubing's.
Old 03-08-2020, 21:17   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

There is definitely a difference between grade A brand marine quality heat shrink and less expensive non-marine terminals but next to no difference in just the tubing.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 02:24   #22
Marine Service Provider

I think the quality of heat shrink tubing from different suppliers are similar, the key point is to choose the right heat shrink tubing. There are several different types of heat shrink tubings.
Old 20-09-2020, 04:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Amazon has good prices through a seller called TEMCo -all diameters, in 4 foot lengths. I only use the mastic/glue-lined stuff on the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F2LGAYG..._xTZzFbE403RTP
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 05:55   #24

Boat: Norseman 447

As usual with most, one can take either of two approaches to heat shrink tubing:
1. The simple generic approach. Hey, it covers the joint and shrinks. What else do I need?
2. Or, you can "engineer" the solution. Which of several different materials with different properties. Wall thickness. Stiffness. Flexibility. Shrink ratio. Abrasion resistance. UV resistance. Heat resistance. Adhesive lined or not. Which of several adhesives. Color. Chemical or oil resistant. Cost.

For your application, maybe it doesn’t make a difference, but
they’re not all the same. McMaster-Carr has enough different kinds to keep you reading for a couple of hours.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 17:20   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I've started buying only clear heat shrink tubing (with adhesive) so I can put labels under them when we shrink the tubing.

There are varieties of 6:1 heat shrink tubing which is useful for putting on a cable that has already been made up with a terminal but without heat shrink.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, marine