Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 23:31   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Marine SSB Licence?

I'm looking at getting my VHF licence here in Australia. Now for a tiny amount more money and a little extra study I can get my SSB licence as well.

Of course that'd mean that I would need a combination Marine SSB/ham radio.

Is a marine SSB licence any use in real life cruising?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 00:47   #2

Personaly i would not head offshore without an SSB Transceiver, although the Ham side does not interest me to much...

Also as you may know, you do need the licence to operate a Marine SSB and i would recommend doing the course, you will learn more than is offered in the users manual...

Cheers

John
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Is a marine SSB licence any use in real life cruising?
Yes and yes
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:11   #4

Do many people bother to get their VHF license these days? Is there much reason to?(assuming you already know radio procedures/etiquette). We don't have one, yet.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:12   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440
You may find that you need the radio licence to obtain an MMSI number to register your EPIRB, AIS etc. My ICOM 802 SSB will not allow initial operation without the MMSI number entered. I am waiting for the next course in Hong Kong.
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:33   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57
The MMSI number is not issued with any reference to a radio license; but the use of devices such as VHF and SSB are generally not allowed without a license. The "SRC" for VHF and "LRC" for SSB are internationally accepted certificates and worthwhile getting, albeit a lot of the material and procedures in the course aren't really used in the real sailing world. Ultimately the radio licensing depends upon your boat's country of registration. In much of europe they have checks of boats and stiff fines if nobody aboard a vessel with functioning VHF/SSB has a valid license (regardless of whether or not it is being used). I learned that in Germany they've changed that requirement so that the master of the vessel must have a valid certificate for operating whatever radio is aboard. Then again, the Germans love their certificates and documents, so that shouldn't come as a complete surprise.In OZ "ACMA" regulates radio licensing and an SRC or LRC depending upon band is required (or a higher certificate) .

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...assLicence.pdf
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:45   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Do many people bother to get their VHF license these days? Is there much reason to?(assuming you already know radio procedures/etiquette). We don't have one, yet.
I would have thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHong Kong View Post
You may find that you need the radio licence to obtain an MMSI number to register your EPIRB, AIS etc. My ICOM 802 SSB will not allow initial operation without the MMSI number entered. I am waiting for the next course in Hong Kong.
You 802 shouldn't require a MMSI for operation. Mine certainly doesn't. In Oz you can register an EPIRB without a MMSI
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:57   #8

Do any authorities in Australia actually check if people have radio licenses? I've never heard of this happening. We'd like to avoid more paperwork and fees if possible.

Our boat also comes with an 802.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:33   #9

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I'm looking at getting my VHF licence here in Australia. Now for a tiny amount more money and a little extra study I can get my SSB licence as well.
I'd definetely do it. I did the SRC certificate (VHF), and even the examiner said may as well do the 5 extra questions and get qualified for LRC (SW/SSB).

The multi-thousand-$ question of ssb vs satcom is a different issue (and thread)
Old 07-01-2010, 07:17   #10

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I obtained my VHF Ships Radio license for $60 filling fee simply for registering with the FCC. I had to provide contact info, ship info, registeration info for the vessel, etc. etc. then, I got a MMSI number, loaded it into my HX850S handheld (you only get one chance to do it right! ... then it has to be sent back to mfg to be cleared for entry of another number in case you sell it I guess) and now I have accountability and it's registered to me personally with all my information of who to contact in case the Distress goes off like a EPIRB transmission. Since it sends GPS info as well when activated, I have to be very careful about 'testing' it. LoL
It would appear from this 'license' issued by the FCC, that I can operate a ships radio aboard my vessel without a class 1 radio operators license.
WDE8791 S/V Blind Dreams
Old 07-01-2010, 08:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
In Canada all VHF operators require the Restricted Operator's Certificate. Station licences are not required in Canada. One is highly recommended on international travel. It may be required in other countries.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHong Kong
...My ICOM 802 SSB will not allow initial operation without the MMSI number entered.
The Icom 802 will work without a MMSI, but in order to use any of the DSC functionality you need to have a MMSI entered , that is what I've been given to understand.. I think that there is "grey" software out there for the M801 and M802 which allow resetting the MMSI (I have some for my 801 but haven't tried it yet since the MMSI is correct). I looked into getting a HAM license so that I could use all the frequencies that the SSB can access but that was a lot of work so I haven't gone that step yet, a fellow boater told me that with a HAM license one can use AirMail for free rather than the SSB non-HAM SailMail for an annual fee.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
idpnd

..may as well do the 5 extra questions and get qualified for LRC (SW/SSB)....

I'd better move to Belgium. In the UK, I had to take a separate course lasting 4 days and costing >$1,000 for the LRC !

This is depite the fact I already had a VHF ticket and have been a ham since I was 18 y.o.

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:47   #14

I was surprised at how much "BS" one has to learn for the LRC - I don't have INMARSAT and having to practice typing in orders for ships stores and not forgetting to close them ("+++" or "nnn") was an exercise that I found particularly irksome when what I really wanted to know was how to use DSC on my SSB and how to choose frequencies.

Doesn't the HAM license allow you to use all SSB frequencies?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:15   #15

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Your ham license will only allow you to operate on the designated ham bands, except in a true emergency and there is no other reasonable option.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote