Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 10:57   #16
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by junojoe View Post
I have checked with many threads. but do not see my unique (probably) issue. The Ray Marine will transmit and receive weather, but no other radio traffic. From distances, others can hear me, but I cannot hear their call back. Any help is appreciated.
It transmits weather? I doubt it.

If others hear you, your radio is transmitting. Maybe your squelch setting is too high to receive the return calls.

Maybe you can get a more experienced boater at your marina to check your radio and if it's operator error, explain to you how it works.
__________________

__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 11:02   #17
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by junojoe View Post
................. I went out an bought a new connection to splice into the wire, but it appears it needs to be melted into the connection. Not sure how to do that, so I did not try. Certainly do not want to blow the boat up.
OK, you can buy a new radio and antenna and hire an electronics person to install it or you can hire an electronics person to check your radio and antenna and tell you if you need to replace one or both.

It's pretty clear to me that you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself.
__________________

__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 11:02   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 822
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Maybe you can get a more experienced boater at your marina to check your radio and if it's operator error, explain to you how it works.
That is inline with what I'm getting at. I would see if a neighbor could assist. Line of sight or by cellphone. Verify whether it is transmitting at all, or just not very far.

I would borrow someone's radio, if possible and plug it in. Same problem....maybe the antennae or cable. If it resolves it, then it's the radio itself.

It would seem to me that part of the problem with troubleshooting is not identifying and isolating the variables clearly.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 11:31   #19
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 868
Images: 2
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by junojoe View Post
Gentlemen

I am in the Chesapeake Bay. Its An older Ray Marine. I just replaced the chord to the microphone. The distance that others can hear me is far. But I cannot hear anything other than weather. Which is really clear. Does this help
Still sounds like Squelch. If you can RECEIVE weather then your radio is receiving, if others can hear you, you are TRANSMITTING. turn to channel 16 (or some other channel that typically has traffic. then turn your squelch dial all the way to the left until you hear static, then slowly work to the right until there is no static but you can hear the traffic
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 11:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chesapeake Region and Maine
Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Posts: 4,047
Images: 4
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
That is inline with what I'm getting at. I would see if a neighbor could assist. Line of sight or by cellphone. Verify whether it is transmitting at all, or just not very far.

I would borrow someone's radio, if possible and plug it in. Same problem....maybe the antennae or cable. If it resolves it, then it's the radio itself.

It would seem to me that part of the problem with troubleshooting is not identifying and isolating the variables clearly.

For heavens sake, forget these Mickey Mouse approaches. Get (buy, borrow, or steal) a power/swr meter, stick it in line at the output of your transceiver, and measure, determine exactly what the problem is.

The meter will tell you:

1. if the antenna system is working or compromised, either by bad connectors, deteriorated coax, water intrusion, or other physical damage;

2. if your transmitter is putting out rated power.

No guessing. No beating your head on the bulkhead. Use the right tool and determine exactly where the problem lies, then take whatever steps are needed to correct things.

Anyone familiar with radio procedures could determine this in under 5 minutes.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 11:54   #21
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Marine radio transmit

In many parts of the country, Sea Tow has set up a service on channel 26 or 27 where you can make a test transmission and then hear your own transmission played back to you. This may or may not help the OP. I really think he needs to get some help.


Let me ask one more question that hasn't been asked: Did the radio once work normally and suddenly stopped or has it been like this since you got it? Did you install it yourself or did it come on a boat you just bought? OK, that's two questions.
__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 14:49   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chesapeake Region and Maine
Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Posts: 4,047
Images: 4
Re: Marine radio transmit

junojoe,

Just noticed you're in the Chesapeake area. Where, exactly?

My shop is located in Arlington VA about a mile from the Pentagon; if you could pull the radio, I'd be happy to check it out for you.

If not, I'm often working in the northern Chesapeake area, and could stop by the boat to determine what's going on if you like.

Bill
WA6CCA
YachtSense
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 15:18   #23
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
For heavens sake, forget these Mickey Mouse approaches. Get (buy, borrow, or steal) a power/swr meter, stick it in line at the output of your transceiver, and measure, determine exactly what the problem is.

The meter will tell you:

1. if the antenna system is working or compromised, either by bad connectors, deteriorated coax, water intrusion, or other physical damage;

2. if your transmitter is putting out rated power.

No guessing. No beating your head on the bulkhead. Use the right tool and determine exactly where the problem lies, then take whatever steps are needed to correct things.

WA6CCA
What the meter won't tell you if the signal contains audio information. Remember, he already replaced the microphone cable. Presumably, he had a reason for doing this.
__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 17:53   #24
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 13,088
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What the meter won't tell you if the signal contains audio information. Remember, he already replaced the microphone cable. Presumably, he had a reason for doing this.
However, he reports a reception problem, not a transmission problem (if I understand his posts correctly, and they are vague enough that I have doubts).

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II in the Pittwater for a few weeks
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 09:20   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Chaparral
Posts: 13
Re: Marine radio transmit

Thanks everyone for the help. I had the unit in either Canada or international mode and to make matters worse, it had some kind of sensitive mode engaged to only pick up local traffic. I did a factory reset and it's new again. New to these forums. Just joined last week. I am gratefu. Big savings. I would have bought a new one, installed it, then it would have worked and I would have thrown out a working unit. I shouldn't be Juno Joe, I should be Juno Idiot
junojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 13:50   #26
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,558
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by junojoe View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. I had the unit in either Canada or international mode and to make matters worse, it had some kind of sensitive mode engaged to only pick up local traffic. I did a factory reset and it's new again. New to these forums. Just joined last week. I am gratefu. Big savings. I would have bought a new one, installed it, then it would have worked and I would have thrown out a working unit. I shouldn't be Juno Joe, I should be Juno Idiot
Glad it worked out for you

While "finger trouble" can be embarrassing, it is usually a cheap fix and you get to learn more about the radio at the same time!
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 15:22   #27
Registered User
 
ka4wja's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 2,165
Re: Marine radio transmit

Joe,
I'm glad it worked out for ya!!
Congrats!!

But, FYI...
Marine VHF Channel 16 is the same in US, Canadian, or International mode/channel....
But, of course the "local" / "distance(dx)" switch is a real waste for most modern radios....but, at least you got it all working!


BTW, you shouldn't think of yourself as idiot, just new!!
So, learn from this and next time you'll add as much info as you can, right up front....and sooner rather than later, you'll be solving your own problems!


Fair winds..

John
__________________
John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 15:43   #28
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,558
Re: Marine radio transmit

Joe, no disrespect to you and thank you for asking and starting the thread - unknown others will also learn from your experience. As an aside, I learn much about say engines or whatever from other who post their questions.

This thread reminds me of the benefits of having a formal radio operators licence structure in place - like in Australia etc. Here one has to have a licence to use a marine VHF. It's not difficult and many clubs and other marine organisations run the course and do the testing. While some see it as government intrusion into "our freedoms" or revenue raising (which it isn't as the ticket is perpetual), the benefits of having a basic understanding of using the radio and being able to identify (and remedy) simple faults far outweigh the once off process of getting the licence. And all other users benefit by not having to be disadvantaged by the incorrect use of the VHF network.

OK rant over
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 16:31   #29
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 13,088
Re: Marine radio transmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Joe, no disrespect to you and thank you for asking and starting the thread - unknown others will also learn from your experience. As an aside, I learn much about say engines or whatever from other who post their questions.

This thread reminds me of the benefits of having a formal radio operators licence structure in place - like in Australia etc. Here one has to have a licence to use a marine VHF. It's not difficult and many clubs and other marine organisations run the course and do the testing. While some see it as government intrusion into "our freedoms" or revenue raising (which it isn't as the ticket is perpetual), the benefits of having a basic understanding of using the radio and being able to identify (and remedy) simple faults far outweigh the once off process of getting the licence. And all other users benefit by not having to be disadvantaged by the incorrect use of the VHF network.

OK rant over
Wottie, I note that despite the license requirements here in Oz, the level of knowledge isn't all t hat impressive! Nearly every weekend I hear yotties calling other boats on 16 and then (oh so well trained) demanding that their contact reply on 78. 78 is the working channel for Tas Maritime radio, and is a duplex channel. It will not work for boat to boat (as any trained operator should know), but many of these folks,even when advised of their error, continue to bugger about with repeated attempts to switch to that channel. Grrr.

And on the other side of the coin, those who insist on repeating the name of each vessel three times on every exchange...

So, my "rant in return" is that despite the license requirement, lack of knowledge and good radio practice is alive and well in Oz.

But I still like it here!!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II in the Pittwater for a few weeks
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 17:37   #30
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 8,558
Re: Marine radio transmit

^^ Yep Jim, ya right - it could be a lot better; maybe I recalling the good ol' days when the riff raff had their 27 Mhz to cause havoc amongst their own and left the "expensive/licensed" VHF to "us".

But hey, at least they know enough to use the calling channel and then want to switch...

Now don't get me started on "professional pilots". Had one the other day who reported "radio transmits but doesn't receive; the squelch works so please replace the antenna". Of course my unsaid immediate response was "I don't tell you how to fly, you don't tell how to fix the radio" but being somewhat restrained I held back; went and fixed the radio. The unit was faulty; the only things that worked was the display, the receiver audio stage and the transmit annunciation. All RF stages (Tx & Rx) were shot and it had the "nice burnt smoke" scent.

OK back to regular programming...
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marine, radio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ham radio advice sought - AT 7000 tuner suitable for marine use? (w/ ICOM 706 radio) Jud Marine Electronics 10 27-02-2016 16:40
How to Transmit to Autopilot on COM40 ? RhythmDoctor OpenCPN 44 25-03-2011 04:07
SSB Transmit Kills Autopilot nhschneider Marine Electronics 9 20-03-2011 12:33
Command Mic Transmit Audio newbie123 Marine Electronics 13 03-08-2010 09:49
VHF Radio Transmit Issue claddaghcan Marine Electronics 4 23-04-2010 10:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.