Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 22:55   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Like so much internet "wisdom" I don't actually have any idea what I'm talking about. It may be perfectly safe as far as I know. I have noticed that they are all mounted high, 8' or above from what I can see. It may just be an angle thing, but I've always wanted to use the word chicharrones to describe one's ears.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 23:01   #17

Are there other forums that are popular places to go and discuss marine radar? This place is great I'm just wanting to expand my query.

Thanks

FD
FluidicDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 23:10   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Sailnet might help, too.
Try sailing anarchy as well, just don't be alarmed when they cuss at you. They cuss at everybody.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 23:17   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidicDigital View Post
Are there other forums that are popular places to go and discuss marine radar? This place is great I'm just wanting to expand my query.

Thanks

FD
G'Day again FD,

Look mate, if you are not willing to explain the general goal of using this radar on a road vehicle, you're not likely to get substantive answers no matter where you ask the questions.

Meanwhile, why don't YOU do some homework? Like for instance looking at the manufacturers specifecations for small marine radars. Useful but not exclusive names are Furuno, Ray Marine, Garmin and so on.

When you have a better idea of what's going on with the hardware you might be able to ask meaningful questions. Until then you are sorta wasting our time.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-07-2010, 23:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day again FD,

Look mate, if you are not willing to explain the general goal of using this radar on a road vehicle, you're not likely to get substantive answers no matter where you ask the questions.

Meanwhile, why don't YOU do some homework? Like for instance looking at the manufacturers specifecations for small marine radars. Useful but not exclusive names are Furuno, Ray Marine, Garmin and so on.

When you have a better idea of what's going on with the hardware you might be able to ask meaningful questions. Until then you are sorta wasting our time.

Cheers,

Jim
I will report back with my findings and let you know. Sorry to waste your time there Jim.

FD
Old 05-07-2010, 23:38   #21

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I can just imagain someone reading the insurance companies accident report

Im not sure how the accident happened as I was rather busy at the time, watching my radar screen.

Wont you be travelling too fast for the information to be of any use?

WHat about all the poor people in front of you who will be getting a sun tan or fried brains from radiation
Old 05-07-2010, 23:41   #22

We will find out in 15 or 20 years from now Im sure
Old 06-07-2010, 00:51   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day again FD,

Cheers,

Jim

If I were to take a wild guess, I would say he wants to mount it on Humvees to try to spot bad guys in the desert, then sell relabelled Garmin radars to DOD for $750,000 a pop. Not bad work if you can get it.

But I doubt that it will work for that, even a little bit. Our radars are programmed very specifically for use at sea. The desert doesn't look like the ocean and the ground clutter will be completely different. Besides that, you you have something like an almost perfect flat plane at sea (even if it has a "texture" from sea conditions). To distinguish a vessel on that flat plane is fairly straightforward, once you program out the sea clutter. To distinguish anything in particular in the desert, where you're not working on a flat plane but you've got boulders and all kinds of objects, would be problematic, I think. Also, our radars are quite narrow in the vertical plane and they would be completely useless where there's any slope. Lastly, the scan rate is awfully slow for anything moving at road speeds. Our radars would not pick up people whatsoever, and I doubt that they would pick up an object as small as a vehicle at much of any range.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16   #24

Boat: Fantasia 35
FD,

It is illegal to use a marine radar on land. The same for aircraft radar. These devices are governed by FCC rules and regulations.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:03   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Just saw this thread and was wondering when someone would post the obvious - thank you Viking S.
Yes it is illegal (FCC) to use a marine radar on land.

I believe even a manufacturer was fined for running a marine radar at a boatshow demonstration.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:31   #26

Boat: seawind II Patience
It is frightening the govt. is wise enough to not allow anything so stupid.But then again I DID READ THIS.MARC
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:49   #27

You want to get the widest antenna you can find. As wide as the car. The small boat marine radars have 5 degree horizontal resolution at the best. I would think you'd want better.

All the square stuff along roads will give you fun reflections to deal with. The small flat back of my mast is bad enough.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:54   #28

It is a violation of section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934 and of section 80.13a of FCC rules to operate marine radar on land and a very stiff fine would be imposed if you were caught. An $8,000 fine was levied by the FCC on the Central Wisconsin Airport in Mosinee, WI for using a marine radar to compensate for the fact that the Minneapolis radar could not monitor air traffic near the airport once it descended below 4,500 feet. They even sought FAA approval for the radar which was denied due to the licensing rules. There was also a vendor at the Annapolis MD annual boat shows who was given a similar fine for operating (for demonstration purposes) a marine radar from land without a license. The FCC regularly hands out stiff fines for licensing rules violations. For recreational boaters, a ship station is "licensed by rule", so an individual license is not required for certain equipment including radar however all coast stations require an FCC issued license for use of part 80 certified transmitters including marine radar. You don't want to get caught doing this and sticking a marine radar on a land vehicle is going to be very noticeable :-)

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:54   #29

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Call the manufacturers, I find their tech departments are usually very helpful. The sales dept people should know about, or be able to find out the legality issues.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:07   #30

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Does anybody know why the FCC makes it illegal to operate a marine radar on land?

Tags
radar