Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 19:36   #31

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: Maretron vs. Airmar Ultrasonic Wind

I'm thinking I may go with the DSM-150. From all the information I can find, it's pretty much a DSM-250 in a smaller package. I don't have a lot of room at the nav station, so this may be just the ticket. Seems to draw less current too.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:43   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I'm thinking I may go with the DSM-150. From all the information I can find, it's pretty much a DSM-250 in a smaller package. I don't have a lot of room at the nav station, so this may be just the ticket. Seems to draw less current too.
Yep, I would do the same.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:27   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

That's a hot tip. The DSM-150 even has the same (crappy QVGA) screen resolution as the DSM-250.

I don't remember why I decided not to do that -- either the DSM-150 was not yet available or I decided I wanted the screen real estate despite the low resolution.

In any case, the DSM-250 is ridiculously overpriced -- the DSM-150 is a much better value.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's a hot tip. The DSM-150 even has the same (crappy QVGA) screen resolution as the DSM-250.

I don't remember why I decided not to do that -- either the DSM-150 was not yet available or I decided I wanted the screen real estate despite the low resolution.

In any case, the DSM-250 is ridiculously overpriced -- the DSM-150 is a much better value.
I admit I have not seen any of these side by side, but all the small display modules seem to have that same 320x240 resolution. That's true at least of the Simrad IS40 and the Raymarine i70. Screen dot pitch is not everything in determining display quality, so perhaps the display drive isn't as good as the others. I suppose I'll find out as I think I'll be ordering a WSO-100 and DSM-150 this week along with cables etc.
On the subject of cabling, is there a good source for the NEMA 2000 cable, and should I use the same cable up the mast to the WSO-100?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I admit I have not seen any of these side by side, but all the small display modules seem to have that same 320x240 resolution. That's true at least of the Simrad IS40 and the Raymarine i70. Screen dot pitch is not everything in determining display quality, so perhaps the display drive isn't as good as the others. I suppose I'll find out as I think I'll be ordering a WSO-100 and DSM-150 this week along with cables etc.
On the subject of cabling, is there a good source for the NEMA 2000 cable, and should I use the same cable up the mast to the WSO-100?
Use Maretron cable and components. Also use their free software to design the network!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The main reason you are getting all these sensors together , is it a cheap silicon solution these days. Mems gyros , baros, flux compasses are two a penny.

I am confused though , one poster said it computed True wind using the output of the rate gyro. Im confused at that as rate gyros dont give true north and anyway you need STW to make such a calculation

I never really understood the PB200 reasoning anyway, its not useful for powerboats either , firstly no power boats needs accurate AWA anyway, most have higher performance gyro compasses now elsewhere anyway.

Might be useful for steel boats, the Dutch tend to mount the compasses up on the radar arch of steaming light on steel power boats.

I think the PB200 was orginally going to be a sophisicated true wind device that compensated for heel and rate and they never got it to work and gave up and hence its a bit of a solution looking for a problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
The DSM 150 is the Cantrak , ex OEM Teleflex programmable module, ( the new colour version) I have one or two in there OEM form, The screen resolution isnt the greatest and well behind the curve these days. Its Linux based , designed and made in teh UK

I suspect it was a quick fix solution for Maretron, given the criticisms of the DSM-250

Dave
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The DSM 150 is the Cantrak , ex OEM Teleflex programmable module, ( the new colour version) I have one or two in there OEM form, The screen resolution isnt the greatest and well behind the curve these days. Its Linux based , designed and made in teh UK

I suspect it was a quick fix solution for Maretron, given the criticisms of the DSM-250

Dave
The hardware yes, I didn't know, but it runs the Maretron software so you get full functionality just like the DSM250. Even though I am critical of the DSM-250, there is nothing else that beats it's functionality apart for the bigger Maretron displays. I would only give it up for another Maretron display. But I wouldn't buy more than one. My other displays are Furuno RD33 and I'll get some B&G Tritons for in the cockpit next year.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 01-04-2013, 13:06   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The hardware yes, I didn't know, but it runs the Maretron software so you get full functionality just like the DSM250. Even though I am critical of the DSM-250, there is nothing else that beats it's functionality apart for the bigger Maretron displays. I would only give it up for another Maretron display. But I wouldn't buy more than one. My other displays are Furuno RD33 and I'll get some B&G Tritons for in the cockpit next year.
You'll love the Tritons!

The display is stunning and extraordinarily sharp and extraordinarily bright (have to turn it down even in bright sunlight). The screens are superb -- best wind display I have ever seen -- intelligibly shows AWS, AWA, TWS, TWA digitally, and AWA and TWA analogue -- all at the same time. Totally eliminates the need for a separate close hauled wind gauge. I bought five of them and I'm delighted with them.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 14:23   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave
It sure does look like the same unit. One difference that I see is that the Teleflex Cantrak specs its' resolution at 160 x 128, whereas the DSM150 has the resolution at 320 x 240. I suspected that the datasheet for the DSM150 may have been in error, but Maretron confirmed (via email) the resolution and is the same as the DSM250. I'm guessing they are similiar (DSM150 and the Cantrak), but Maretron had some changes made. Keeping the resolution the same would make re-spinning the firmware a lot easier. It would make sense for Maretron to rebrand a third party display. Their core business is NEMA2000 and sensors, not displays.
Old 01-04-2013, 14:51   #42

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The newest Triton software update adds a close hauled wind gauge to the standard pages. It also has a much improved wind histogram page and some other nice functionality like rudder and heel angle indicators. If they added an AIS page like the Raymarine i70, there would be absolutely no competition to it.

We recently used ours at night for the first time and the night display is fantastic. It is the first instrument that I can actually stand being on at night.

The Furuno MFD8 is a complete bust at night - absolutely unreadable and unusable in the night mode. Or the dusk mode. The only hope is to keep it in day mode and turn the brightness down. Then put it to sleep when you are not looking at it. Still, it takes several minutes for your eyes to adjust after using it. It is impossible to believe that Furuno has ever turned on their units at night and actually looked at them. In night mode, the chart turns black, but the course line and several other components remain very bright. And the AIS targets are dark green on a black background. The data text remains grey on the black background. You can see the visibility issues with all of this...

The Simrad AP24 display in night mode is mostly unreadable because of poor contrast and too bright at its second lowest night setting. The lowest setting is no light at all, which is not usable. Luckily, the Tritons also control the Simrad AP.

But those Tritons - WOW! Almost infinite control of brightness and the night mode color palette shows that someone designing them has actually used instruments at night.

And the viewing angles of the Tritons are unbelievable. You can fully read them approaching 180* while wearing polarized glasses. You pretty much have to be dead normal on the Simrad and Furuno instruments to use them.

So we have been enjoying the Tritons for 18 months of day sailing and coastal cruising, but are in love with them now for passage making. B&G have it in their grasp to own this segment.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 14:53   #43

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Oops, the above post was supposed to quote Dockhead's comment about close hauled indicator.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 17:14   #44

Boat: Monk 36

Has anyone here ever tried a Cruzpro ultrasonic UWSD-10 masthead sensor and WSD110 display? I installed this system and am not so sure that was the best decision.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:29   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Has anyone here ever tried a Cruzpro ultrasonic UWSD-10 masthead sensor and WSD110 display? I installed this system and am not so sure that was the best decision.
I had not heard of Cruzpro before, so I did a bit of googling. Looks like some interesting stuff and probably economical. What are your issues with the wind setup. Is it not performing up to task, or are you just unsure due to it's relative obscurity in the US?

From the specs, I like it because of it's low power requirements. It seems every instrument head now requires almost 2 watts of power. Once you start adding up a number of displays, over a period of time, you're talking real AH's. I know it's not an issue for the big boat crowd as they have ample means of generating all the power they need for washing machines and ice makers. But for those of us on a tight power budget, every mA counts. I'm starting to rethink my upcoming electronics purchases to not include a lot of N2K stuff for exactly that reason.

Tags
wind