Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Maretron DSM-250 vs DSM-150

I'm still hacking away at my new electronics system design, and coming down to the wire -- as I have to order all the kit in a few days in order for it to be delivered in time to my mother's house where I will be visiting for Christmas, so that I can bring it back from the States at 1/2 the cost of UK prices . . .

I'm in glorious Cowes, staying in a sailor's hovel, the Duke of York, since I can't live on my boat on the hard . . .

Measuring everything, trying to envision installing the new system.

The nerve center of an N2K network is a device like the Maretron DSM-250 which displays absolutely everything on the network.

The problem for me is that I don't have any bloody place to put it. My radar screen panel at my nav table was just made for the RL80CRC+ which I will shortly be flogging on Fleabay. I cannot fit a 12" Zeus display there as I had originally hoped, so I'm back to an 8" Zeus T8 which is smaller than the RL80 but with much higher resolution at 800 x 600 vs. 640 x 480. I cannot fit the DSM-250 in the same panel, BUT -- I can fit two of the DSM-150 displays, which are much smaller at about 9.5cm square.

The DSM-150 has the same pathetic QVGA resolution -- 320 x 240 - as the DSM-250. In fact, it seems to be the absolutely identical unit, just that much smaller. And it costs half.

So maybe two of this would be a decent substitute for the DSM-250 which I can't fit in anywhere? Does anyone have any actual experience?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Maretron DSM-250 vs DSM-150

Here is how my instrument panels are presently configured:

Click image for larger version

Name:	12120008.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	50889

Click image for larger version

Name:	12120006.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	50890

As far as I can tell from reading the manuals, the DSM150 has exactly the same screens and exactly the same functions as the DSM250, only in a smaller size and half the cost.

I'm having trouble picturing whether I will be able to see the readouts or not. I particularly want a permanent weather display, and so if I can read all that data on that little screen, having two DSM150's will be great, because I can use the other one to read other stuff.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:27   #3

It's hard to tell from the pics but couldn't you surface mount it below the MFD?

And what's behind the radio cord? Could you flush mount it there?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30   #4

Also seems like you could drop the stereo to be way closer to the vhf and mount the DSM above.

Unless I'm just misremembering how big the dsm's are
Old 08-12-2012, 03:58   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The DM150 unit is a Oem unit from teleflex. The display has very limited resolution and looks nothing like some of the advert pictures I've seen. Why not consider the i70 or the Furuno RD 33

Dave
Old 08-12-2012, 16:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The DM150 unit is a Oem unit from teleflex. The display has very limited resolution and looks nothing like some of the advert pictures I've seen. Why not consider the i70 or the Furuno RD 33

Dave
Because the i70 etc. only display a small fraction of the N2K data. The Maretron shows it all, and configures all the Maretron gear. Has a full-blown weather display, which for me is a key app.
Old 08-12-2012, 21:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Because the i70 etc. only display a small fraction of the N2K data. The Maretron shows it all, and configures all the Maretron gear. Has a full-blown weather display, which for me is a key app.
The Garmin g10 has a nice weather display as well and also logs barometric pressure over time.

I agree about configuring maretron stuff though. I couldn't find a screen shot or anything about weather looking at the DSM 150, do you remember where you saw it?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:07   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
The Garmin g10 has a nice weather display as well and also logs barometric pressure over time.

I agree about configuring maretron stuff though. I couldn't find a screen shot or anything about weather looking at the DSM 150, do you remember where you saw it?
In the manual: http://www.maretron.com/support/manu...0UM_1.4.16.pdf

The manual looks like a virtual word-for-word copy of the DSM250 manual -- all the same screens, etc.

The DSM 150 has the same (crappy) QVGA resolution as the 250, just a much smaller screen.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Also seems like you could drop the stereo to be way closer to the vhf and mount the DSM above.

Unless I'm just misremembering how big the dsm's are
I could indeed, but the Simrad NSS7 will be going there. The panel below is reserved for the SSB radio control head. I also have to put in another switch panel -- so I'm running out of space!

I could mount the 250 on the wall opposite the nav table -- that's where my present weather station lives.

But I'm thinking more and more that at half the price, I'd rather have two of the 150's, above the main Zeus plotter (where the Ray RL is now). I wish I could see one in person to see how viewable it is.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I saw the DM150 at mets. I wouldn't run out and buy it until you've seen real screenshots.

The i70 displays a whole slew of environmental data. Most of which can be time graphed . It's a very powerful product.

You even get an AIS display
Dave
Old 09-12-2012, 14:45   #11

I'm real happy with the DSM250, adn don't think I'd get a smaller screen unless forced to due to space constraints or other restrictions. Like you said, it has a VERY rich set of capabilities, and Maretron updates it regularly. With other vendors, bugs remain for ever and ever.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 14:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm real happy with the DSM250, adn don't think I'd get a smaller screen unless forced to due to space constraints or other restrictions.
Well for me that's cost, most definitely!
Old 09-12-2012, 14:54   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Have you considered the Furuno RD-33? I remember that it does some neat stuff, like laylines, and also can translate any 0183 you might has onboard as well. Nice big display too.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 16:10   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Have you considered the Furuno RD-33? I remember that it does some neat stuff, like laylines, and also can translate any 0183 you might has onboard as well. Nice big display too.

Chris
That's a cockpit instrument - no weather, no engine data, etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 16:21   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I saw the DM150 at mets. I wouldn't run out and buy it until you've seen real screenshots.

The i70 displays a whole slew of environmental data. Most of which can be time graphed . It's a very powerful product.

You even get an AIS display
Dave
Looks interesting! Displays wind speed and direction (ground wind) history, unlike Maretron. Full engine data. Now that's worth a look.