Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 12:06   #136

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk33 View Post
Know this is an old thread...Just curious if anyone attempted this and made video (grabbing trailing line)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I have been waiting for them to post it too.
Seems they did not make it back to the boat to post it up.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:09   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk33 View Post
Know this is an old thread...Just curious if anyone attempted this and made video (grabbing trailing line)
Yes, absolutely. It does NOT work. A few years ago we tried an experiment, my then 26 year old strong son tried getting pulled behind our boat in calm conditions. He didn't last for more than 3 minutes at 4 then 6 knots. It does not work. It does not work, It does NOT work.

Best advice I ever got, right from this forum: treat the edge of your boat as a 500 foot cliff.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 13:32   #138

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
If you're holding onto your trailing line and bring dragged behind the boat, you don't have to pull yourself hand-over-hand back to the boat. Use your legs, too,
Have you ever tried to do this?

We did, at a MOB training to teach us why a longer tether is incredibly dangerous, and how damn near impossible it is to climb back on board (esp when dragged by a tether. You'll drown).
Grabbing a trailing line ... same thing. Just test it yourself. And be very careful what kind of line you use too. And be aware of how the boat moves so nobody gets hurt.

In Dutch, there's a simple saying: naast de boot is dood.
Literally translated: next to the boat is dead.

Instead of working out how to get back on your boat, please do everything you possibly can to never, ever, end up in the water next to or behind it ...
Old 04-03-2016, 14:59   #139
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

This guy nailed it

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 15:13   #140

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

First I want to emphasize that I fully agree with all the exhortations about not going overboard, and that I do not recommend relying on hauling oneself back on board on a trailing line. But, just because a number of people have tried something and found it impossible, does not mean it can't be done by using a trick. Is it cheating? I just re-read a lot of this discussion, including my post #75, in which I described how to climb a rope using leg strength and very little arm strength. 15 minutes ago I verified that I can still do this, aged over 70 and too weak in the arms to do even one real pullup. I can actually rest my arms while supported by the friction of the rope wrapped and clamped on one ankle with the other foot. This really works. I'll make a video if I get enough requests. While being dragged astern, it certainly would not be as easy as I just did it on dry land. I am inspired by Andrew Troup's experience of increasing his strength by working at it systematically. When I can do ten pullups I'll report back... I am developing a system of exercises on my boat, using some of the handholds in the cabin.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 15:21   #141
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged!

Its a fantasy scenario.. some reckon its possible to rig a towed line that one grabs and it flips the TP of the tiller.
Realistically no one can react that fast.. you go over at say 5kts.. time to orientate as you surface and find the boat.. recover from shock then think "the Line"... then swim like crazy in clothing and lifejacket to reach the line...
How long did you say it was..??
The best solo man overboard I can think of with an AP is a waterproof remote with a 1/2 km range so you can turn her head to wind.. then you may have a chance.
Personally I don't even think about going over.. it might slow me down or hesitate and make a stupid mistake that kills me..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 15:44   #142

Quote:
I described how to climb a rope using leg strength and very little arm strength. 15 minutes ago I verified that I can still do this // as I just did it on dry land.
Well, if you can do it on dry land, you can do it on an ocean after falling overboard with a boat sailing away from you at 5 or 6 knots ...

Try to climb your rope while having one person hang on to each leg and have them drag you down. And while you're at it, have them swing you around too and throw some buckets of water in your face.

One of the guys who did the training with us was incredibly fit, and had great strength in both arms and legs. If you think he managed to climb back on board, I have to disappoint you.

Apart from it not being very feasible to always drag a lord-knows-how-long line just in case you fall overboard, it'll only be possible to climb back if you're enjoying the doldrums and your boat wasn't really going anywhere anyway
Old 06-03-2016, 12:53   #143

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
First I want to emphasize that I fully agree with all the exhortations about not going overboard, and that I do not recommend relying on hauling oneself back on board on a trailing line. But, just because a number of people have tried something and found it impossible, does not mean it can't be done by using a trick. Is it cheating? I just re-read a lot of this discussion, including my post #75, in which I described how to climb a rope using leg strength and very little arm strength. 15 minutes ago I verified that I can still do this, aged over 70 and too weak in the arms to do even one real pullup. I can actually rest my arms while supported by the friction of the rope wrapped and clamped on one ankle with the other foot. This really works. I'll make a video if I get enough requests. While being dragged astern, it certainly would not be as easy as I just did it on dry land. I am inspired by Andrew Troup's experience of increasing his strength by working at it systematically. When I can do ten pullups I'll report back... I am developing a system of exercises on my boat, using some of the handholds in the cabin.
Consider this a request.
Not that I want to watch you drown but I think the realities are hard for lots of folks. You included.
But please, please make the video for us.
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2016, 13:12   #144

@Therapy: you could just quote the relevant sentence only ...

Quote:
I'll make a video if I get enough requests.
Like so
Old 06-03-2016, 13:48   #145
CLOD

Boat: none

I add my request

Hope this does not make us responsible.
Old 06-03-2016, 13:58   #146

Oops, I see I messed up my copy/paste earlier and I can't edit my post anymore.
The missing part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Not that I want to watch you drown
I may be misreading / misunderstanding, but I think the offer is for a video of him climbing a rope while comfortably and dry on land, not while being dragged by a boat?
Old 06-03-2016, 14:04   #147

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This guy nailed it
looks like a weekend scene from sydney harbour.

As I always say, monos are really unbeatable for exercise.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 14:18   #148
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
[I]Oops,I may be misreading / misunderstanding, but I think the offer is for a video of him climbing a rope while comfortably and dry on land, not while being dragged by a boat?
That's no biggie.. learnt how to do that when I was a 6yr old Wolf Cub.. what is he.. a late developer..
But he'll never make it back to a moving boat..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 17:23   #149

Quote:

Like so
Oh lizzy, I know, but look at the DRAMA of the enlarged text.

Quote:
Oops, I see I messed up my copy/paste earlier and I can't edit my post anymore.
The missing part:

I may be misreading / misunderstanding, but I think the offer is for a video of him climbing a rope while comfortably and dry on land, not while being dragged by a boat?
I got the offer understood but even if he could do that it has nothing to do with working in the water. Yet he would claim that it is a solution.
SO! I say for him to put hisself to the real test and PROVE (nice bit of drama there eh?) it can be done.
This is an old thread and no one called to task has reported back.
Soooooo.........I want them to put their "whatever" where their "mouth" (or text) is.
Old 06-03-2016, 17:27   #150

Here is something else that you can do but may get called out for.
Check out this bit.

Quote:

Like so But you may not react to flowers and think it is a come-on, in which case I will......well, you won't like it....

There's some drama, huh?

Tags
overboard