Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 18:57   #31

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged!

On our 20 footer I trailed a line made from that bright orange floating type of rope with three separate handles along the length of the line (about 60 meters long).

The line was attached to the upwind jib winch. The idea, which i tested with a friend who is a good sailor, was for my drag in the water to cause the boat to round up into the wind if I dragged on the line. It worked very well when we tried it. The boat rounded up hard, the autopilot tried to correct but by then there was practically no boat speed so she ended up in irons before falling back and trying to run me over with the opposite tack. This was in a bit under 15 knots of wind on a reach.

HOWEVER this was on a very beamy 20 footer, I am quite certain our 42 footer would not notice four or five people hanging off a line so the plan is to incorporate a trip line into the wind vane I am building which will cause the boat to round up if pulled on.

I take the point that a system like this might reduce the incentive to take proper care on deck. But on balance I think I would rather have it there as backup.

Matt
Old 11-03-2014, 19:02   #32

Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged!

On the whole water ski thing. In my limited experience of water skiing the first three or four seconds nearly pulled my arms out of their sockets till I started to plane then it was no effort at all to hang on. Not sure I can reach planing speed in our Swanson though.
Old 11-03-2014, 19:20   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Waterman View Post
Sorry kids, I forgot how old and infirm it seems of CF is when it comes to doing anything physical.
I have no problems holding on to a line dragging behind a boat doing 7 knots.
I have no problem hanging on to a tow rope behind a jet ski doing 20 knots when we tow into big waves, board afoot or not.
Being towed at a speed in which you can get out of the water is very different from being towed at a slower speed where you'll just be dragged through the water.

Perhaps you could hold on in a planned situation. Perhaps you could even hold on and pull yourself forward the 100-250' you'd need to in order to get back to the boat.

But being able to do this after being knocked off of your boat into the water, likely being disoriented is a whole other story. Might want to try practicing it ahead of time.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:26   #34

Oh yeah, and don't forget you need some way of getting back onto the boat IF/WHEN you get back to it. Some kind of ladder for most of us I guess, but not much use if it is stowed and you can't reach it. I am welding up a folding ladder with a cord to pull down the top half. We have some serious freeboard to overcome.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 20:08   #35

Boat: Hunter 40

Garmin make a watch to control their autopilots. Strap it on and your good to go. Don't know the range may not be far enough to operate the autopilot after you have regained senses when you come up for air!
Old 11-03-2014, 21:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
Garmin make a watch to control their autopilots. Strap it on and your good to go. Don't know the range may not be far enough to operate the autopilot after you have regained senses when you come up for air!
Hopefully it sets MOB at signal loss and turns back to that spot so your boat can run you over also.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 00:08   #37

Yeh most guys here sre old farts not like the guys in your video
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 00:50   #38
Marine Service Provider

This is no joke.

In 1969 my parents purchased a marina, on Hood Canal, WA. St.

Gib, the grocery store owner sailed in one day. Me all of about 12 yo, said hey you're trailing a line.

he said, no; I'm actually trailing 2 lines.

after i complained.

He stated he single hands, the water is cold, and after falling overboard, he wants out as soon as possible.

He then told me, that each of the lines were connected to a hog ring, with one line each side of the forward rudder.

then when he fell overboard, he could steer the boat up-wind to come about and retrieve him.

true story.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collingwood5 View Post
I do a lot of solo sailing and use my autopilot (Navman / wheel type)
on occasions. Is there a remote control that can be fitted to your
lifejacket to switch the autopilot off if u hit the wet stuff? Alternatively,
can a similar remote switch be carried that turns the boats power &/or
engine off in the case of an unexpected MOB???? Regards George......
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:33   #39
Marine Service Provider

I think you needs to go back to school for physics.

Please major in G-Force

but before please go to Hawaii, and say "kauabunga dude"

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Waterman View Post
You just don't get it.
I posted a video of us tow surfing. We ROUTINELY grab the line and get pulled through the water doing WELL above 15 knots. In rescue or 'get me the f*&k out of here' situations, I know I have seen the ski wide open trying to out run an incoming set. That would mean I was hanging on well past "1 or 2 knots"...
Like 25 or so.

"1 or 2 knots..." LMFAO!

Get out more bro, really.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:35   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Towing guests behind the boat in hot conditions is great fun. (Good swimmers and calm conditions only)

The boat speed at which bathers no longer stay on is vital information that is sadly missing from most sailing books.
I could disclose this important data, but its much more fun to find out yourself

Hint: it is lower than you think.

The forces are high and I certainly would not rely on pulling yourself up a rope after the disorientation of falling in. The strong drag from typical sailing clothes needs to be considered.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:51   #41

Boat: Duncanson 1998 - 34'

A quick thanks to 'Chemist' , 'Phoenician' & 'Oregon Waterman' who obvisously understood the nature of my enquiry and supplied some great info. To the rest, try sailing in warmer water that is not 200nm from land. If u wear a lifejacket (as I do with a personal EPIRB attached) there's a good chance u might just survive!!!
Collingwood5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:53   #42

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I towed 100m of ski rope behind my Passport 42 with a 1ltr empty coke bottle floating at the end. The other end was connected to the motor control, moving the leaver upright into neutral & disconnecting (pulling apart a spade connector wire) the auto pilot motor. This is easy to test without falling overboard.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:18   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Towing guests behind the boat in hot conditions is great fun. (Good swimmers and calm conditions only)

Don't try this in Adelaide folks. There's another name for that sort of thing here. Something to do with fishing for really big fish.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:24   #44

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Have any of you done the math to convert knots to feet per second? I think you'd find the 250 foot ropes woefully inadequate in terms of the time you'd have to surface from your fall, re-orient and swim to the rope. Even with a leisurely calm weather boat speed, you'd be unlikely to make it. A much longer rope would improve your chances but then there are other downsides to that (longer way to pull yourself, more drag, snagging crossing traffic etc.)

Also, even if you could get the boat to round up (easier to rig with tiller steering) the rate of drift would likely match or exceed your swimming speed, especially if wearing PFD and clothing.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:25   #45

Or just sail a slow boat?

Tags
overboard