Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 15:29   #31

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
I'm considering adding MagicJack and running both Skype and MJ. I stopped in to the store today to buy the Magic Jack equipment, and the salesguy advised me to stay away from it. According to him (who admits that he has never used it) that the MJ software puts spyware on your computer and will track your phone calls. Supposidly this is for marketing and advertising.

So, for the current Magic Jack users: are you experiencing any issues with spyware or advertisements (spam) that is related to their software? If not, I may go ahead and try it.

Your comments?? Thanks.
Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 16:05   #32

Maybe he's talking about Skype not MJ, Google "Skype spyware" and see what you get. Skype also opens Port 80 and installs a web server on it. I wouldn't use it for that reason, but most people love Skype anyway.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 16:38   #33

A couple of excerpts from Skype User Agreement which you agree to when you install it and which no one ever reads. Full text is at Skype End User License Agreement

2.4 Third Parties: The Skype Software may be incorporated into, and may incorporate itself, software and other technology owned and controlled by third parties. Any such third party software or technology that is incorporated in the Skype Software falls under the scope of this Agreement. Any and all other third party software or technology that may be distributed together with the Skype Software will be subject to You explicitly accepting a license agreement with that third party. You acknowledge and agree that You will not enter into a contractual relationship with Skype or its Affiliates regarding such third party software or technology and you will look solely to the applicable third party and not to Skype or its Affiliates to enforce any of your rights.

3.3 Utilization of Your Computer:Skype Software may utilize the processor and bandwidth of the computer (or other applicable device) You are utilizing, for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication between You and third parties. Skype will use its commercially reasonable efforts to protect the privacy and integrity of the computer resources (or other applicable device) You are utilizing and of Your communication, however Skype cannot give any warranties in this respect.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 17:27   #34

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Hi jdoe- thanks for the response. I'm actually concerned about the Magic Jack software. I'm not suprised that any program may have spyware... I'm trying to figure out if any users have had any issues with it... or if this was a salesperson passing along an unsubstantiated opinion.

The reviews posted in this thread seem quite promising... hence my question to the MJ users: and problems??

Another question too, if I may. I bought one of the Uniden waterproof/submersible cordless phones (dect 6.0) for use when wifi is available; with the intent to use it with either skype (I have the d-link adapter) or magic jack. Has anyone noticed any interference with inverters or the such with this phone?? I'm not concerned about the nav equipment, since it would only be used at anchor (or docked) with wifi.

Thanks.
Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 18:27   #35

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Didn't go through them but:
"Magic Jack" spyware - Google Search

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 18:46   #36

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
If they used Magicjack for those purposes,they would suffer a huge drop in orders once people knew this actually happens,which isn't good for sales.I have not noticed any problems with it so far,no ads or spam,just good value.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 01:13   #37

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Same as highseas for me, for the money you can't go wrong. I have had mine for about 6 months without a issue. Once in awhile I do rebbot my computer, also when I was in an airport and used their Wi Fi it did drop some calls but overall works GREAT!
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 09:08   #38

The current rating by BBB for magicJack is A-
Old 06-02-2010, 08:19   #39

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Anything new on the MagicJack or Skype front?
The better way to go?
Are there others?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03   #40

I use my magicJack almost every day,I love it.$20. for 200 minutes for calls within Mexico.I call Canada(or US) and talk for hours.I use it with the Telcel 3G modem(500 pesos per month ,unlimited use) for reliable calls,I find with wifi there is more breakup in voice quality.With 3G, reception distance is greatly increased over wifi.When I sailed from Baja to mainland ,I was online(but not in phone range) 30 miles off Cabo,and 15 miles from SanBlas.I think overall, magicJack is cheaper,and more versatile.Send me your # and I'll show you how good it works.Many places have decent cell reception,but no wifi.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55   #41

Boat: CT54
Same with skype....works flawlessly with 3G here in Mexico. I signed up for a skype-in number with voicemail and it has worked perfectly. Can't see a point in us changing over to magicjack since skype seems to work perfect for us.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:28   #42

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
How does Magic Jack work in the Bahamas?

When I tried to use Skype for an outgoing call to a USA telephone number, it forced a 242 areacode prefix. This kept me from using it to call the USA. I'm wondering if Skype has made some kind of agreement with the Bahamas to prevent the loss of BATELCO revenue? And is Magic Jack affected in the same way?
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 18:48   #43

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Majic Jack works where ever you have a internet connection. I have used it everywhere without issue. If you have a poor internet (slow) it will sometimes drop a call.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 16:47   #44

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
I hate those things with a vengence......
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:03   #45

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
Skype in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
How does Magic Jack work in the Bahamas?

When I tried to use Skype for an outgoing call to a USA telephone number, it forced a 242 areacode prefix. This kept me from using it to call the USA. I'm wondering if Skype has made some kind of agreement with the Bahamas to prevent the loss of BATELCO revenue? And is Magic Jack affected in the same way?
I used Skype in about three places in the Bahamas last May and had no problems at all When did this happen to you?