Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 17:40   #1

M5Stack / M5Stick

It was suggested in another thread that we start a thread for those who are developing systems using M5Stack and M5Stick.

I'll kick it off with a few photos of some devices I've been working on.

The first is a M5Stack-based information display. These devices have a pretty small display, and they are definitely not sunlight readable, but I like having a simple display at the navigation position that gives me quick info on what is going on with the boat while at the nav station. It uses MQTT from an Openplotter system to bring in NMEA data. My hope is I can move this to SignalK when time permits. This is very much a work in progress.

The other project is an M5Stick-based engine temp monitor that sends data to Openplotter.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yv8y99AscZFMrYmLA

Code is on GitHub here: https://github.com/andyrbarrow
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 21:02   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: M5Stack / M5Stick

Looks interesting, definitely want a M5 now thanks for sharing the code.

For temperature from the ds18b20 I've been using the dallas temperature library to do the work -
https://github.com/milesburton/Ardui...ontrol-Library
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarrow View Post
It was suggested in another thread that we start a thread for those who are developing systems using M5Stack and M5Stick.

Very cool!

Quote:
Code is on GitHub here: https://github.com/andyrbarrow
[a bit offtopic]

...but, but it is really necessary to put this (had a glance at M5StickEngineTemp) behind GPL? Wouldn't MIT be enough (for this not so large amount of code)? It's your code of course, but GPL (for non core/platform code) for me seems a bit unnecessary and not so hacker friendly.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:11   #4

This is great. Looking forward to checking it out. I'm already into the cool little ESP devices, but the M5 cases and modularity certainly kick it up a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
... but it is really necessary to put this (had a glance at M5StickEngineTemp) behind GPL?
What's wrong with GPL? It's entirely hacker-friendly;
Quote:
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them.
... you just can't profit from derivatives, basically.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This is great. Looking forward to checking it out. I'm already into the cool little ESP devices, but the M5 cases and modularity certainly kick it up a notch.
I'm also looking forward to try it out. The small M5stick (https://m5stack.com/collections/m5-c...t-kit-with-hat) looks especially nice. Could maybe use it for my (old) Raymarine autopilot, I'd love to just push a button on a wrist band instead of having to stand up and move to the raymarine control panel. Talk about lazy...

What I'm wondering though is, how to make it (reasonably) waterproof? This is also a question for the bigger, normal case (https://m5stack.com/collections/m5-c...evelopment-kit). Don't know if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating, i.e. spraying over the PCB would suffice?

Quote:
What's wrong with GPL? It's entirely hacker-friendly;

... you just can't profit from derivatives, basically.
[start again offtopic] this. A hacker / small company should be able to profit (if desired). Won't write much more in order to not derails this M5 thread, but many, imho, modern developments use less ideological licenses, e.g. llvm, Rust, go, Python (well, not really modern), SignalK even. Currently 'maritime software' seems to be either 'proprietary crap' (smile) or 'restrictive free software'. To bring things forward imo permissive licenses which are profit/industry friendly are needed. But maybe the market is too small for this, don't know [end offtopic]
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
[start again offtopic] this. A hacker / small company should be able to profit (if desired). Won't write much more in order to not derails this M5 thread, but many, imho, modern developments use less ideological licenses, e.g. llvm, Rust, go, Python (well, not really modern), SignalK even. Currently 'maritime software' seems to be either 'proprietary crap' (smile) or 'restrictive free software'. To bring things forward imo permissive licenses which are profit/industry friendly are needed. But maybe the market is too small for this, don't know [end offtopic]
You're citing languages and frameworks, whose reason for existence is wide adoption. Everyone pretty much agrees on the reference version of those, and the developers and maintainers have revenue opportunities from being consultants to those using the language/framework, or from selling support.

The OP is currently sharing one or a few small applications which are very vulnerable to being ripped off or exploited, with no benefit flowing back to the developer. The only restriction in GPL is ... you can't exploit it. Those interested in making commercial use of those apps can of course negotiate that with the developer.

(yes, offtopic but important)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 14:57   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
M5Stack / M5Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarrow View Post

Thank you for starting this thread. Looking forward to receiving my three M5’s, currently in the post.

I will be building an autopilot head unit to replace my ageing Coursemaster, a regulator for my wind generator and a controller for my hydronic heating system.

I am also considering a speed/course display for downstairs that doubles to feed GPS data to the HF radio.
Old 04-08-2019, 20:27   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Well, here’s an Arduino I could work with. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	197202