Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 02:14   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Lowrance VHF Link-8

Anyone else have this VHF?

I recently bought one to replace an ageing Naivom RT-650. It installed and tested well. I'd only turned it on a couple of times and all was fine.

Cue a day before a planned passage, I turn it on, and I get an error message saying "excessive voltage"

I immediately turned off and check the voltage. It was 13.6v which is perfect. I tested again later that night when I had a voltage of 12.9 again the radio complains of "excessive voltage".

The unfortunate thing is, that the error message stops you using the radio completely. I can access everything and even see AIS targets and have alarms, but error massage frequently blocks the display, and of course prevents receiving or sending voice calls.

As the voltage to the radio has always been fine and relatively stable, I can only put this down to some kind of internal error or dodgy sensor.

I've only seen two other reports of this online, and none of them had any real conclusion.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share and give people a heads up. This unit will be sent back. I'll probably opt for another brand, as it's just not worth the hassle and risk of something similar happening again.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf