Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 13:13   #1

Exclamation ~ Lowrance Link-8 Original/Older swup file ~

Hello,

I've searched the forum and web - didn't find a solution so far...
After following the Lowrance software update instructions properly from the page below:

Link-8 Software Upgrade | Lowrance

My Link-8 unit is now "bricked" - for lack of better term. It powers on, but no info displayed.
Spent the afternoon taking to Lowrance support, they have no solutions, and have no copy (to date) of the original software "swup" file.

My only solution at this time is to try and find that file and upload it to the Link-8 through the Gen-1 Lowrance HDS8. See if that un-bricks it.

- Anyone had this issue before?
- Does anyone have the original Link-8 software or any version before the latest v2.91 please?
This swup file is less than a megbite and can be sent via email or uploaded easily.

Thank you all!
Mister.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 16:16   #2

Arrow Re: ~ Lowrance Link-8 Original/Older swup file ~

Update:
Was able to get from Lowrance one older version:
LINK8_Software_V2.87_20151104.swup
They have nothing before that. Still no success to push this update through to the Link-8.

If someone has another older version, please post.

Thanks.
Old 24-04-2019, 09:09   #3

Arrow Re: ~ Lowrance Link-8 Original/Older swup file ~

Any suggestions / info please?
Old 25-04-2019, 09:37   #4

Thumbs up Re: ~ Lowrance Link-8 Original/Older swup file ~

I'm happy to say - I was able to solve the problem.

I believe the root of the problem comes from an attempted upgrade of V2.91 swup file from a Gen 1 HDS8 to the Link-8 VHF unit. Something there didn't work well at all.
The unit was bricked and no one had a simple solution to it, either than a costly out of warranty repair or replacement at 50% cost + shipping back and forth.

The swup file V2.87 that was provided didn't do much in this case.

Taking one of Lowrance's advance techs advice (above regular CS rep) - I eventually disassembled the VHF and NMEA2000 "hub" off my boat. Took the whole kit to a local marine supply store, there I found a very helpful rep. He helped me connect the VHF to a more modern Lowrance HDS7.
I ran the update and... Nothing would show on the progress page.

Next, I plugged it to an even newer Simrad unit, ran the update and lo and behold, the progress bar moved and completed the upgrade.
Powered the VHF down, turned it on... Just like new!
Later I connected it all back on my boat to the Gen 1 HDS8. Everything works again with V2.91 on the VHF.

Hopefully non of you have to go through this major problem, but just in case - you'll have some better answers.
I give full credit to tech rep for the "out of the box" idea and store rep for allowing this "experiment" go through on store display equipment.