Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-02-2016, 11:07   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Nordic 40
Looking for Vesper Marine XB-8000 and Vision Beta Testers

We're getting ready to release the newest update to the firmware for the XB-8000 and WatchMate Vision AIS transponders and looking for existing owners who would like to give us feedback before the general release.

Some of the key new features in Vision are a new user interface which is simpler and faster to use, Anchor Watch, DSC calling, external switch controls for alarm muting or anchor watch, external alarms for AIS MOB, personalized AIS MOB devices, and instrument displays. Vision also gets enhancements to the touch screen responsiveness and improved performance when under very heavy AIS loads.

The biggest new stuff in the XB-8000 includes the ability to connect an external alarm. The alarm can be configured to sound whenever an AIS MOB is detected. The XB-8000 also gets our new anchor watch too which you can monitor and control from our mobile apps.

Updates to both our Android and iOS apps are being released too and these can be used to set your anchor position (eg. while up at the bow), configure most everything including the external switch and alarm functions, mute alarms remotely, as well as a bunch of other new features.

If you have an XB-8000 or Vision and are interesting in testing the new release and giving us your feedback send me a private message with your email address, whether you've got an XB-8000 or Vision, and if you use either the Android or iOS version of our apps.
Old 14-02-2016, 13:14   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: Looking for Vesper Marine XB-8000 and Vision Beta Testers

Thanks everyone for responding so quickly.

When you send me a PM, please include your email address so I can get back to you via email with all the details you need. Also, let me know if you are using the iOS version of our app.
Old 18-02-2016, 14:32   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
JM: We're finishing up a big update for Vision now. It has loads of U/I enhancements and new features. Our next focus is on including more N2K support in XB-8000. Our priority for that is on more N2K translations to WiFi and data going back the other way, particularly for navigation and A/P control.

Yes, Signal K is something we're interested in and it's indeed on our roadmap.
Hi Jeff,

I can't really do any serious testing, boats on the hard for winter.

But, I'm interested to hear if the new update will translate navigation and A/P control to N2K ?

I suppose an experimental Signal K server would be too much to hope for ?

Cheers,
JM.
Old 19-02-2016, 00:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Jeff,

I've had the beta running for a few days now, so here are my first impressions and feedback:

1. The download and installation went easily, once I figgered out which file went where. Some more explicit instructions will help when you get to the stable download.

2. I have had one hangup in the satellite display screen, and had to reboot to recover. No obvious cause. Also one spontaneous reboot, again no obvious cause (no voltage drop or spikes).

3. I like the new arrangement of menues. The old context sensitive display was confusing, and i could never remember how to find some of the minor pages. Big improvement imo.

4. The symbols for unfiltered vessels are still to dim for older eyes to discern. A bit more contrast would fix that. IMO, this is a fairly serious issue!

5. the anchor watch: hooray! Mostly pretty good, but being able to move the anchor location to better reflect its actual location after dropping would be a great help. It is all too easy to be a boat length or mmore from where y ou punch the button before it hits the bottom and digs in. Using the recorded tracks it would be easy to guess at the proper place for it, and it would help eliminate spurious alarms. If that mod is not possible, at least have the software move the location aft from the bow by the dimension for bow to GPS antenna, which is already in memory. For our boat, that is around 40 feet, and that impacts the alarm circle when anchored in tight situations. A minor glitch is that the bearing to the anchor is always in True, no matter that you have selected Magnetic in the menue.

6. The touch screen response is much better - well done!

I'll add more as things come to mind, but wanted to get this to you asap.

cheers,

Jim
Old 21-02-2016, 20:26   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback Jim. I've passed it on to the development team.

Two immediate comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The symbols for unfiltered vessels are still to dim for older eyes to discern. A bit more contrast would fix that. IMO, this is a fairly serious issue!
The symbols for unfiltered vessels are intentionally dim and unobtrusive to eliminate clutter. The idea is these are vessels you don't want to see and you can even turn them off entirely. If you find that you want to see them more often, perhaps adjusting the filter settings might be better?

Quote:
If that mod is not possible, at least have the software move the location aft from the bow by the dimension for bow to GPS antenna, which is already in memory. For our boat, that is around 40 feet, and that impacts the alarm circle when anchored in tight situations.
I don't think we'll have the ability to move the anchor position in this release but it is something we've discussed. However two thoughts... you can use your phone to remotely set the anchor position... say from the bow as it drops. The other is your suggestion about dealing with the adjustment for the GPS antenna position.... if you have interfaced a heading sensor then it does this already now.
Old 21-02-2016, 21:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Jeff,

OK, response noted. One other thing has surfaced: when you bring up the target list, it only persists for a few seconds... no where near long enough to read it and find the one in which you are interested.

Re setting the anchor position via phone: not with my old flip phone! But I have a remotely controlled wife (sorta) and we're working out a plan to accommodate the software lack of control!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-02-2016, 21:11   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

OK, response noted. One other thing has surfaced: when you bring up the target list, it only persists for a few seconds... no where near long enough to read it and find the one in which you are interested.
Are you talking about the target list on the left side of the screen that comes out when you select "Split screen"? Or is it somewhere else?

[Not even touching the rest of your post ]
Old 21-02-2016, 22:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AHAA!!

I was getting to the target list by tapping the "nr of targes" display in the upper right hand corner. Hadn't realized that "split screen" brought up the same info in a more permanent manner. Problem solved.

One of the hazards of beta testing, I guess: no user manual to explain all those sorts of things!

Jim
Old 22-02-2016, 14:54   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:

One of the hazards of beta testing, I guess: no user manual to explain all those sorts of things!

Jim
Yes, but it's still very good feedback because it's certainly better if you can use it without needing the manual.

Also, I've just found another one like this... you said earlier that the bearing to anchor position is always in true. There's a setting specifically for the anchor watch bearing in the Anchor Watch Settings. Seems like we didn't make this clear that there are two different settings controlling true/mag bearings.
Old 22-02-2016, 15:42   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I installed mine this weekend with no issues, I assumed I'd have to know the location of the update, but the software knew where it was.
I'm pretty much an idiot with computers, so if I could do it with no problems, anyone can.
The anchor watch, I like very much. I hadn't thought about using phone / IPad as a remote when I drop anchor, good idea
Question though on external alarm, how much current is it allowed to draw? We use a Radio Shack buzzer at work for a Stall warning, loud little thing, thought I'd use it.
I'm currently trying to interface with my Zeus with 0183, with no success.
I've ordered some NMEA 2000 equipment and will go that route, maybe this weekend. 0183 worked prior to update with my VHF, but I did the update and tried to interface with Zeus at the same time, so I have no idea if the update had anything to do with the 0183 problem, but gut tells me it's a B&G issue, not Vesper.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-02-2016, 16:16   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Question though on external alarm, how much current is it allowed to draw? We use a Radio Shack buzzer at work for a Stall warning, loud little thing, thought I'd use it.
I'm currently trying to interface with my Zeus with 0183, with no success.
I've ordered some NMEA 2000 equipment and will go that route, maybe this weekend. 0183 worked prior to update with my VHF, but I did the update and tried to interface with Zeus at the same time, so I have no idea if the update had anything to do with the 0183 problem, but gut tells me it's a B&G issue, not Vesper.
Glad it's gone well and thanks for the update. The external alarm can provide up to 150mA so you're likely to be fine.

I'm guessing the update reset your 0183 output speed to 38400 since that's the default. But for your VHF you were probable using it at 4800, so you'll need to reset it.
Old 22-02-2016, 17:28   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It was connected to the VHF at high speed as it displayed AIS targets too, I'll reconnect it that way, that will give me tgt data on both plotter and handheld mike, at least tgt icons. SH 2000.
I've tried everything, believe it's a B&G issue, will go to NMEA 2000, gotta eventually go that way anyway.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-12-2016, 07:26   #13

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop

I have an Vesper XB-8000 and I lost my WiFi signal. I have been in contact with Tom at Vesper NZ and he has been helping me to resolve this issue. I first downloaded the driver from Vesper for MAC OS on my 3 year old MacBook Air that is running Sierra. I could not connect using the USB cable. So I tried my old EEEPC ASUS network laptop running XP and downloaded the driver and the configuration software. This time I was able to connect. I took a photo of the computer screen once connected and sent it in to Tom at Vesper and got an email back with a link to the Vesper website to download a Flash Recovery program for Windows or Mac. The problem I have is that my XP laptop has been in the salt air and many of the keys are on longer working on the keypad. Also that computer is strictly for running my navigation software and I don't want to mess up my Vesper AIS incase that computer dies during the install. Then I will have no nav computer and no AIS!

Tom from Vesper tells me that their driver for Mac has been tested on the latest MAC OS and works fine but not on my MAC. is anyone out there using MAC to connect to their Vesper XB 8000 using the USB cable and if you are, are you also using Sierra?

My AIS is still functioning as anyone can see by checking the US flagged sailboat Starship located in Koh Lanta Thailand. However if I want to see other AIS targets, I have to use Marinetraffic.com with Internet since there is no longer any WiFi.
Old 14-12-2016, 09:50   #14

Boat: Bruckmann 50

Mine is working with sierra but if I remember correctly there was something particular about how to install the driver. I think I googled the name of the driver and got some info. It had to do with disabling one and then installing or something like that. It was fairly easy to find the problem with the Google though. ��

Tags
marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: