Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 22:23   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40, BMW R1200GS
Looking for furuno guru navnet vx2 in south Qld

Hi all

We have a lavezzi 40 fitted with furuno vx2 plotter and navpilot. Over the last few months we have had some issues with the pilot not following the course correctly. It will steer close to course then kinda forget. It we watch and click the course dial 1 or 2 degrees then put back to correct heading, it will suddenly remember and start steering close to course.

I have had 3 different techs come to the boat after assuring me they knew all about furuno gear. In each case after 5 mins it was clear my knowledge (gained from reading the manuals cover to cover during passages) was greater. The only thing they had which I didn't was the phone number of a furuno service guy in their mobile.

We have had the boat for around 18 months and the pilot was behaving perfectly up until about 2 months ago.

The fi30 instruments have been odd (showing different info even though both are configured the same) since we took delivery of the boat. Example the internal unit will show boat speed and not wind whilst the unit at the helm shows both.

On the plotter we are seeing apparent wind angle compared the boat when it should be showing wind compass heading. This happens even though the settings are set to show true.

I suspect my tinkering may have caused the pilot issues. So I am thinking a full reset might be the answer.

If we do a complete new setup as if it is a new installation, hopefully this will put everything back to a standard setting and get it sorted correctly.

Does anyone know of any furuno vx2 guru's preferably around mooloolabah or Moreton bay? I am thinking a few hours of someone who knows this stuff will stop what is left of my hair going grey.

Best wishes everyone for 2016

Regards
David
On Y Va
ducati996guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 17:05   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40, BMW R1200GS
Re: Looking for furuno guru navnet vx2 in south Qld

Hi All,

just posting here in case anyone is looking in the future.

Found Rick at Linemaster (+6 7 5479 6851) in Mooloolabah via Furuno Australia (thanks Brett).

Rick was on board for 2 hours and did a bit of a reset. We then heading off from the berth and he recalibrated the heading compass while we spun come circles in the river. Out of the marina and along he beach front he tested the pilot on auto and via waypoints. All working correctly.

Certainly knew his stuff, was very helpful and now the pilot tracks course correctly, the FI30 both work as expected and life is better.

Thanks
David
ducati996guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furuno, navnet