Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 22:09   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Looking for a Mast head camera

I have seen a thread on this but can't find it.

The purpose is to look for obstacles coming into new uncharted or poorly charted anchorages.

I'd like to permanently mount it at or near the top of the mast and see the bows and about 80 - 100m circumference. No need to move it. I'd like to hard wire 12Vdc and recive video wirelessly and display it on a Zeus 3 or ipad.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the type of camera I should use.
Old 08-12-2018, 22:30   #2

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Looking for a Mast head camera

I literally yesterday noticed two cameras on the solar arch of my friend's sy parked where I'm docking tomorrow. I'll ask him what he's using and take a pic because I was interested too....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I literally yesterday noticed two cameras on the solar arch of my friend's sy parked where I'm docking tomorrow. I'll ask him what he's using and take a pic because I was interested too....

Could you ask your friend how he keeps them clean? Seems a thin layer of salt would accumulate on them an make the video image poor.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:24   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

here is a thread with a similar topic:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...as-202204.html
Old 09-12-2018, 05:23   #5

I have a HD camera on top of my mast and a PTZ ( pan tilt zoom) camera on the bow . Dedicated lcd screen ( than switch from top to bow camera) in the saloon with joystick to control the PTZ .
The angle of the top cam is important , I’ve set mine so I have a complete view over the horizon starting from 15 meters in front of the bow.
And no gentlemen , I don’t use the PTZ to spy on the neighbors wives :-)
Have the cams for about 5 or 6 years now , the top camera is mostly used on long sail stretches .
Regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:16   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Grand Banks 46

The HD-Q7 is a 4-in-1 HD CCTV camera that supports the following video surveillance formats: AHD, HD-TVI, HDCVI, and analog CVBS. The AHD, HD-TVI, and HDCVI modes are 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080). The analog CCTV mode (CVBS) supports 960H resolution (960 x 480). Installers can easily select the video mode using the small joystick that is attached to the camera's video cable. The 3.6mm lens captures a 90-degree field of view. Check out these sample surveillance photos and video demo.

The HD-Q7 is enclosed in a white IP66 weatherproof housing which makes it a great choice for indoor and outdoor installations. The 36 infrared LEDs that are built-in allow the camera to capture video in normal, low light and zero light conditions. The tri-axis mounting bracket allows installers to ceiling or wall mount the camera and adjust the angle of view in any direction.

This camera is typically connected to a surveillance DVR by hard wiring it using the same RG-59 or RG6 coaxial cable that is used for analog CCTV cameras. If you do not need to record video and would like to connect this camera directly to an HDMI TV / Monitor for live view only, please refer to the AHD-CV7 AHD to HDMI converter, or select it from the drop-down above.

HD-Q7 Features
1/2.9" Sony IMx323 Image Sensor
1080p HD Video Resolution (1920 x 1080)
960H Resolution in CVBS Mode
AHD, HD-TVI, HDCVI, and Analog CCTV (CVBS) modes
Zero Light Infrared Night Vision
32 Pieces Infrared LEDs / 60 foot IR Distance
3.6mm Fixed Lens / 90 Degree View
IP66 Weatherproof Housing - Indoor / Outdoor
White Color Housing
Tri-axis Mount - Ceiling or Wall Mountable
OSD Controls via Cable / Joystick
DC12V 350mA
12V DC Power Supply Included
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:26   #7

Check for the refresh rate, as on the way the boat swings from left to right and slow camera will not upgrade important details. Eg - other sailboat/ship that is coming to your way... Usually regular security cameras waterproof or not - will not be up to the task.
On the slow and calm situation - almost all cameras will do.
Aapunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

I've been thinking about something similar. Would the masthead camera need some kind of polarizing filter to reduce glare and see beneath the surface better? It would be very handy to have a forward-looking view to spot coral heads, sandy areas, see the color of the water to estimate depth, etc. It might be a very handy aid for navigating into unfamiliar anchorages, and with anchoring in general, particularly when solo.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:25   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

ParrotHeed, did you plan to include a URL to a vendor or manufacturer? It would be very helpful.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:08   #10

Boat: Maurice Griffiths, ? , 35ft

A polarising filter would, indeed, enhance visibility under the surface. But it may need a rotation control because it needs to be set at right angles to the perpendicular bisector of the dominant light source. Usually the sun, but possibly the moon or harbour lights. Anyone tried this?
A zoom lens would be good when anticipating a land fall. The extra hight would show land maybe an hour before deck level eyeballs would see it. The extra twelve or whatever meters would give, um, well, yes, there is a formula somewhere in a book. Fifteen miles?
Gimball mounting would keep the horizon level but not really necessary.
Mattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Thanks, can you see if they are wireless video. I can take power of the lights but I don't want to run a video cable through the mast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
I have a HD camera on top of my mast and a PTZ ( pan tilt zoom) camera on the bow . Dedicated lcd screen ( than switch from top to bow camera) in the saloon with joystick to control the PTZ .
The angle of the top cam is important , I’ve set mine so I have a complete view over the horizon starting from 15 meters in front of the bow.
And no gentlemen , I don’t use the PTZ to spy on the neighbors wives :-)
Have the cams for about 5 or 6 years now , the top camera is mostly used on long sail stretches .
Regards
Are they wireless, do you have a make and model ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothedd View Post
The HD-Q7 is a 4-in-1 HD CCTV camera that supports the following video surveillance formats: AHD, HD-TVI, HDCVI, and analog CVBS. The AHD, HD-TVI, and HDCVI modes are 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080). The analog CCTV mode (CVBS) supports 960H resolution (960 x 480). Installers can easily select the video mode using the small joystick that is attached to the camera's video cable. The 3.6mm lens captures a 90-degree field of view. Check out these sample surveillance photos and video demo.

The HD-Q7 is enclosed in a white IP66 weatherproof housing which makes it a great choice for indoor and outdoor installations. The 36 infrared LEDs that are built-in allow the camera to capture video in normal, low light and zero light conditions. The tri-axis mounting bracket allows installers to ceiling or wall mount the camera and adjust the angle of view in any direction.

This camera is typically connected to a surveillance DVR by hard wiring it using the same RG-59 or RG6 coaxial cable that is used for analog CCTV cameras. If you do not need to record video and would like to connect this camera directly to an HDMI TV / Monitor for live view only, please refer to the AHD-CV7 AHD to HDMI converter, or select it from the drop-down above.

HD-Q7 Features
1/2.9" Sony IMx323 Image Sensor
1080p HD Video Resolution (1920 x 1080)
960H Resolution in CVBS Mode
AHD, HD-TVI, HDCVI, and Analog CCTV (CVBS) modes
Zero Light Infrared Night Vision
32 Pieces Infrared LEDs / 60 foot IR Distance
3.6mm Fixed Lens / 90 Degree View
IP66 Weatherproof Housing - Indoor / Outdoor
White Color Housing
Tri-axis Mount - Ceiling or Wall Mountable
OSD Controls via Cable / Joystick
DC12V 350mA
12V DC Power Supply Included
These need a coaxial cable, I'm trying not to fill up the mast with cables when possible. Is it possible to get what I want with wireless?

Interesting to have thermal, I wonder if it would pick up whales a couple of meters underwater. Probably not but would see them close to the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapunen View Post
Check for the refresh rate, as on the way the boat swings from left to right and slow camera will not upgrade important details. Eg - other sailboat/ship that is coming to your way... Usually regular security cameras waterproof or not - will not be up to the task.
On the slow and calm situation - almost all cameras will do.
I would definitely want good quality colour images not like the security images you often see on the news. I imagine something high definition standard but not as wide an angle as gopro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I've been thinking about something similar. Would the masthead camera need some kind of polarizing filter to reduce glare and see beneath the surface better? It would be very handy to have a forward-looking view to spot coral heads, sandy areas, see the color of the water to estimate depth, etc. It might be a very handy aid for navigating into unfamiliar anchorages, and with anchoring in general, particularly when solo.

-David
Good point, they probably do have polarizing lenses.

Also I found the old thread.... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ra-174088.html
Old 10-12-2018, 00:06   #12

Boat: Dix 38

I was wondering about a drone camera... They are small, light but need a weatherproof housing. Maybe rig up a small solar panel and it should transmit straight to your phone/iPad.
I have looked around in a half-hearted way. They are gimballed, can be directionally controlled - but you always get a drone with them
Looks like a small but potentially viable opportunity for the right person.
Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:18   #13

Has anyone tried a go pro?
Old 24-12-2019, 10:40   #14

Boat: L450 fmr Lavezzi

Consider a car backup camera. They are waterproof at the camera: Backup Rear View Camera White - IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style White Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QBMNVVB..._2CLaEb5J95X1A

Get one for each side: fore, aft, stab, port.

Then you can get a switcher like this: (Pac Intelligent 4 CAM SWTCHR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZE1FK0..._-yLaEb6CKB4WS) to wire it into your Zeus system.

I think B&G sells a 4 camera switcher but I can’t remember.

If you are on the CAT from your profile then a 60’ mast might present a few problems:
1. Most cables are only for cars or trucks or small houses. Pushing 12vdc and video that sort of distance might make things less happy.
2. Waterproofing the cable connectors to make the cables longer. Take your time, goo-filled shrink tubing might be your best friend here.
rspott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 13:26   #15

Boat: Trio 80

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	206102Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1913.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	429.5 KB