Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 05:41   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Looking for a fixed VHF *without* DSC (or ability to disable DSC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
As I explained in the original post, I use a handheld GPS (garmin colorado) which I run off rechargable AA batteries and usually keep next to me at the tiller, which is about 6' from where the VHF is mounted. I often take the GPS into the cabin with me, so hard wiring it into the VHF would mean buying an interface cable from garmin and having that cable permanently in the way, tangling up with lines as I move back and forth between the tiller and the cabin.

I understand the functions and benefits of DSC (although not in the northern sea of cortez where I sail); I just don't understand the stupidity of not allowing the manufacturers to put in a menu option to turn it off.

BTW - I spoke to standard horizon today to see if their VHF units have the "position lost" alarm and tech support confirmed that this was indeed a requirement of the latest DSC standard and that every shipboard VHF sold after 2013 was required to implement the position lost alarm.
Did you call the manufacturer of your VHF to see if the alarm can be disabled?

It seems to me you're being a bit stubborn about this whole subject. You've been given many good suggestions and you seem to be rejecting them.

So here: Find someone in your area with a VHF that doesn't have a GPS signal missing alarm and offer to buy them a brand new VHF in trade for theirs. Problem solved.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:37   #17

Boat: Balboa 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Did you call the manufacturer of your VHF to see if the alarm can be disabled?

It seems to me you're being a bit stubborn about this whole subject. You've been given many good suggestions and you seem to be rejecting them.

So here: Find someone in your area with a VHF that doesn't have a GPS signal missing alarm and offer to buy them a brand new VHF in trade for theirs. Problem solved.
I've actually talked to 2 different VHF manufacturers (humminbird and standard horizon) and they both confirmed that there's no way to disable the audible position lost alarm.

Thanks for the sanity check though - you're right, I am being stubborn about this, and I should probably just spend the extra $100 and buy a VHF antenna to hook up to my new VHF. It just irks me (as a former standards and user interface designer) that they didn't include a method to disable this feature.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:44   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Dam! and I just chucked one of these in the bin
A sailor radio , OMG OMG,

THE best VHF.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Buy a DSC radio with built in GPS.
This would be easiest soulution.

Who wants to buy old used stuff with unknown history for the boat

It's probably cheaper the. Buying a GPS ant for yours.

Dsc is a major safety issue for tugs. you can't have incoming dsc calls / alerts automaticly changing VHF channels when trying to communicate to a pilot in a tanker. Or a deckhand. The mandatory dsc requirment is not safe and there should be non dsc available radios, especially on boats that have more the one radio. so it's a scamble to find good working used VHF radios for tugs. And have one dsc radio in the back never getting used to meet law.

Though I think sailor does make a non dsc now for this reason but it's probably like $5000
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 13:26   #20

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
My current Humminbird DSC equipped radio beeps at me every time I turn it on, and every 4 hours thereafter, to "remind" me that it's not receiving a GPS signal.
Can anyone suggest a workaround?
Earplugs?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

Dsc is a major safety issue for tugs. you can't have incoming dsc calls / alerts automaticly changing VHF channels when trying to communicate to a pilot in a tanker. Or a deckhand. The mandatory dsc requirment is not safe and there should be non dsc available radios, especially on boats that have more the one radio. so it's a scamble to find good working used VHF radios for tugs. And have one dsc radio in the back never getting used to meet law.

Though I think sailor does make a non dsc now for this reason but it's probably like $5000
I guess the USCG and FCC forgot to check with tug operators.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:53   #22
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Just exactly who of the affected users DID the US Government check with before screwing this up? Did they ask you if you wanted this? Sure didn't ask me.

And there are plenty of us around who don't want the US government forcing a VHF Facebook function down our throats. Since when did MY location become any of YOUR business?
Old 10-11-2014, 10:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Just exactly who of the affected users DID the US Government check with before screwing this up? Did they ask you if you wanted this? Sure didn't ask me.
They didn't ask me if I wanted Obamacare either.

I think it's a great idea. I can just push a button and rescuers can find and rescue me. It's hard to find fault with that and it's not expensive. I already had a VHF and GPS so it took about $.20 worth of wire and heat shrink tubing.

Honestly, this is the first time I have ever seen anybody complain about DSC.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:13   #24
One of Those

The problem is that not everybody thinks the same way you do. Some of us think that There is a thousand times too much government meddling in our lives already. You can no longer CHOOSE a two stroke engine. Now you can no longer choose NOT to have your radios screwed with. I want my radio to be a radio. And that's it. Like I want my telephone to just be a telephone.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:19   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
The problem is that not everybody thinks the same way you do. Some of us think that There is a thousand times too much government meddling in our lives already. You can no longer CHOOSE a two stroke engine. Now you can no longer choose NOT to have your radios screwed with. I want my radio to be a radio. And that's it. Like I want my telephone to just be a telephone.
Quote:
You can no longer CHOOSE a two stroke engine
yes cause you can't be allowed to screw up my environment.

Quote:
Now you can no longer choose NOT to have your radios screwed with.
You only need DSC when you need it, the Government is not forcing you to get into trouble at sea.

Quote:
I want my radio to be a radio. And that's it.
perhaps you'd like you engines to be an ox and cart and your water to come from a 2 foot deep cesspit.

seriously DSC came about to facilitate efficiencies in manning the bridge of ships and to affect a simpler and more efficient form of distress alerting.

Leave the tin hats elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:20   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

And there are plenty of us around who don't want the US government forcing a VHF Facebook function down our throats. Since when did MY location become any of YOUR business?

and wonderfully , outside of a distress alert ( when you WANT it to be the Govs business) , you don't have to send anyone your position via DSC. The Gov is actually protecting your privacy !!!

dave
Old 10-11-2014, 11:21   #27

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Is it possible to buy a fixed mount VHF radio DSC any more?...
I think you framed your question incorrectly. I think you want to buy a fixed-mout radio without DSC as the TOPIC line of the thread suggests.

In the USA, the manufacture, importation, sale, or INSTALLATION of a fixed mount radio that is not qualified to CLASS-D DSC is prohibited. This more or less ensures that the major manufacturers of VHF Marine Band radios will not make a non CLASS-D DSC fixed mount radio. That prohibition was put in place a couple years ago.

Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission has prohibited the [manufacture], importation, sale or installation of non-portable DSC-equipped radios that do not meet either ITU-R Rec. M.493-11 or IEC 62238 Class D standards effective March 25, 2011. This regulation effectively bans the sale of radios built to the RTCM SC101 standard on that date. A similar prohibition will apply to portable radios effective March 25, 2015 . See 47 CFR 80.225(a)(4).
Cf: USCG Website
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:22   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

Thats has now been changed I( relatively recently), it only changes channel on a user input.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:25   #29
One of Those

I am laughing at the same old 20 year old "Two strokes screw up the environment" argument. You really believe that's the reason the US government essentially tried to force them out of production? ********. Someone is making money on making you change to another engine. Follow the money, because it is definitely not about the environment. And it's not YOUR environment, by the way. It's ours. And I don't recall leaving a bunch of idiot US federal employees in charge of it.

The logical way to handle this kind of thing is to set the specs, and then accept any engine that can meet them. Not to choose one type of technology over another and essentially try to stifle further development.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:35   #30
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I am laughing at the same old 20 year old "Two strokes screw up the environment" argument. You really believe that's the reason the US government essentially tried to force them out of production? ********. Someone is making money on making you change to another engine. Follow the money, because it is definitely not about the environment. And it's not YOUR environment, by the way. It's ours. And I don't recall leaving a bunch of idiot US federal employees in charge of it.

The logical way to handle this kind of thing is to set the specs, and then accept any engine that can meet them. Not to choose one type of technology over another and essentially try to stifle further development.

Im not aware that any legislation banned 2-strokes, what I am aware is that the emissions and sound legislation made it very difficult for basic 2-strokes to meet the specifications required. It was simply easier for manufacturers to move towards a known 4-stroke technology that delivered what was required.

Secondly no one forced anyone to change engines, new ones yes, existing ones , no. ( I am the proud owner of a 15HP enduro).

Lets not corrupt this debate by levelling unfounded "The GOBMINT are out to get us" nonsense.

personally I like govmints, I've been to places were there are not around much, not nice, not nice at all.

Tags
dsc, vhf