Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 07:09   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Looking for a Barograph

Hello

Im looking to buy ( yeah I know, ill post in the classifieds aswell) a Barograph.

Does anyone have one sitting on the shelf they would be willing to part with

cheers

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 07:19   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Looking for a Barograph

I, too, am interested in a barograph, except I would like it to be electronic and capable of feeding its output to a computer, eventually to create an automatic log for my boat. I'm thinking along the lines of one of the masthead wind speed/direction units that also provides temperature and humidity. Does anyone know of software that can accept this input of multiple data? Ultimately I want to have a record of position, course, speed and weather data that I can save in a file for each passage.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 07:48   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I, too, am interested in a barograph, except I would like it to be electronic and capable of feeding its output to a computer, eventually to create an automatic log for my boat. I'm thinking along the lines of one of the masthead wind speed/direction units that also provides temperature and humidity. Does anyone know of software that can accept this input of multiple data? Ultimately I want to have a record of position, course, speed and weather data that I can save in a file for each passage.
Davis Instruments make some interesting devices.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 08:21   #4

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Many modern smartphones actually have a barometric sensor built in and you can get apps that display both a standard barometer face and can display a trend. I have one that displays the past 48hrs but I'm sure you can find others that will display more.

Might be a simple option to look into especially if you have a tablet as a back up nav station.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 08:22   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm curious to see what you guys turn up. But also, it doesn't hurt to pick up the marine phone directory & start making calls. Especially as, in a lot of circles, it seems that Barographs (& said software) have almost become as rare as sextants.
So, as often as not, knocking on doors, so to speak, via the phone, until you find the guy that's worked @ a company for 20yrs, often yields good results.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 08:53   #6

Boat: H36

My Garmin 76s gps quite old now has a 24 hr barograph. I leave it running so I can see rate of change great tool.
I just purchased a new iPad Air 2 than has the capability to measure air pressure. Problem is no apps that I could find to be a barograph.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 10:36   #7

La Crosse makes weather stations that have 24 hour (or longer) BP history.

They also sync the time with Colorado.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 14:29   #8

I use a Silva ADC Pro. It's slightly smaller than a "puck" type hand bearing compass,but oval in shape, and will give you temperature, humidity and pressure. It also has a barograph function which keeps an hourly record of pressure for the previous 24 hours. I believe it can be interfaced with a PC but I have never tinkered with this aspect of its workings. ( I'm a total moron when it comes to computers). It is a bit pricey, mine set me back about €300 nearly 10 years ago. It is very accurate as judged by its concordance with a Fortin mercury barometer which I keep at home. In the time I've had the Silva I've only had to change the battery twice.
If you really want a classic clockwork barometer to take to sea, try to get a Dreibach. These were manufactured in the GDR using materials that resist sea water corrosion and the mechanism has damping springs to prevent jiggling of the recording lever as the boat rolls and pitches. I bought one on e bay 12 years ago. It's about 50 years old and had spent all its life on boats yet is still deadly accurate. I saw somewhere that a firm called Fischer has started to make them again..

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
PangurBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 14:35   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I have a NASA digital barograph (http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail...teoMan) aboard - it is quite accurate and helpful although I miss that feeling of success when tapping an analog instrument.
Old 14-07-2015, 14:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

There is /was a company called Avocet that makes a watch for Hang glider pilots that has one built in..It is a neat device that I would use to tell my friends if it was going to rain..They never did tell them how I did it!! We would drive down the hwy. and I would look at it if it dropped real fast I knew we were headed for rain..They thought I was some sort of witch doctor..I told them I did a rain dance that mourning and to get ready..Had a lot of fun with that thing..Dont think it would work with a comput. though..google Avocet if interested I heard they were back in business..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 15:14   #11

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I was hoping that someone had a means to take NMEA 2000 data (from a WSO100 ultrasonic wind and weather station) and input it to a program that could provide a log of weather conditions over time, as well as show position, course and SOG. I can plug wires together, I just can't design software and assemble the toys to make my dream happen.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 22:56   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

FWIW, there are plenty of watches with a barograph function built in. They've been around for a couple of decades.
Also, you can look into Kestrel mini weather stations, many of which have blue tooth connections to sync up with laptops. - Although, still, neither is truly a barograph, at least in the old fashioned, stand alone sense. But having said function on ones wrist, as well as built into the ship's instruments (including being recorded) surely is handy.

It was always fun, to drive from sea level up to the top of a 5,000'+ peak near where I used to live, while wearing my Casio. The numbers were trippy!

Bottom line though, & call me a luddite if you like, but I'm still a fan of noting things like the barometer reading in the ship's log every hour, when you note all of the other, standard, important information as well. When @ sea or keeping any sort of proper watch.
Albeit such pretty much goes out of the window once the hook's dropped, unless you have instruments which have an alarm built in, which goes off if the baro drops below X, or the rate of change exceeds Y mb/hr.

Which, knock on wood, I think that some wrist mounted watch/instrument combos can be setup to do.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 00:55   #13

Wow!, Small world ... one of my summer projects was building a digital barograph and temperature sensor with some off-the-shelf components and some solder (arduino for those interested). The plan was to make it talk nmea, and also run a tiny little web server. There was also the possibility of attaching a small thermal printer like this one:

I could probably have my arm twisted to make a few extra

If you are interested, PM me and we'll try to get a small group together. I'm happy to share the design, and build a few for anyone who will cover my time and materials.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 01:10   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Cool.... a recording barograph *and* sudoko.....

I'd be interested.
Old 15-07-2015, 07:48   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We still have (not for sale) our old Prosser digital recording barometer. Keep your eyes peeled for a second hand one as they are no longer made. They are an excellent bit of kit.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote