Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 08:04   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Looking for a Barograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I, too, am interested in a barograph, except I would like it to be electronic and capable of feeding its output to a computer, eventually to create an automatic log for my boat. I'm thinking along the lines of one of the masthead wind speed/direction units that also provides temperature and humidity. Does anyone know of software that can accept this input of multiple data? Ultimately I want to have a record of position, course, speed and weather data that I can save in a file for each passage.
Rot M,

leftbrainstuff beat me to it. Davis Instruments probably have just what you are looking for.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Also look at
Oregon Scientific Weather Station with 7 day History - BAR801

I believe they do a model that can connect to your PC.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:37   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have one of these.excellent.
http://www.uship.fr/barometre-marine..._fr_37589.html
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:40   #19

Boat: H36

eBay $65 for Garmin 76s shows 24 hrs and output to several cables.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:45   #20

Boat: various over the years

Ebay.com has scores of used and new barographs for sale. Just
enter barograph into the search box.

This unit also looks interesting. No paper chart or ink required.

Barograph - Buy a Precision Digital Barograph Barometer from ASI
ex-12m-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:56   #21

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

AquaTech Scientific Instruments (ASI) Model DBX -1 Only way to go . Russ
Old 15-07-2015, 08:59   #22

Check out Ebay. There are over 30 listed, but I am not sure if any are electronically connectable. There are many good electronic options as mentioned in this thread.

Years ago, I bought a surplus NASA barograph which I used for a while, but sold after I sold the boat I used it on. IF you can find one of those, the drum is larger, making it easier to see small changes, if you are interested.
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 10:22   #23

Boat: Windward Marine Searaker 50

That's a really cool concept. I'd be interested in one. You should productize it and market it or let me license your design and I can do it for you.

Chris
wgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 14:51   #24

If you want to do the dream and get the electronic one going from scratch, you might go with
"GY-63 MS5611 High-resolution Atmospheric Pressure Module Height Sensor 3-5 TE148"

a.k.a. first hit on ebay for "atmospheric pressure sensor". It outputs stuff that an arduino/raspberry pi can interpret. Probably a PC with serial port can do it too. Costs £11.99 if you get it from a UK vendor, or £5.68 for something based on same chip (MS5611) from Hong Kong -- sign of the times! Data for MS5611 available from <http://www.meas-spec.com/product/pressure/MS5611-01BA03.aspx>. You have some very competent programmers on this forum so it may be feasible...

God Bless,

Charles.
solocavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 16:02   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Whatever you guys come up with, can you make it happen with NMEA 2000 and couple it to some software so I can have some components for automatic log keeping? It would REALLY be cool if it responded to "Captain's Log, Stardate...........".
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 17:10   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Roy, I like automating stuff as much as possible. Opencpn has some logging plugins but for logging I prefer good old pen and paper from the available sources. An automatic log isn't going to tell you much except afterwards for looking up old passage details. Writing in the log book every 2-4 hrs gives you a few minutes to digest the data, compare and analyse and also make passage notes, radio log etc. I guess it's more foolproof as well and probably more legal if the log was relied upon as evidence.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 17:21   #27

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

monte, I am a lazy, daydreamer, greatly-aged Trekkie. I could give a fig about legal. I just want to fantasize I am zooming through a larger universe, automatically recording each moment for my never-to-be-published memoirs. Besides, I am not that careful about my penmanship. This is all about me. Narcissists don't need no steenking badges . I just want to have bragging rights to whatever lies I concoct and can somehow redeem by having a spreadsheet alibi. So there!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 17:25   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I have a NASA digital barograph (http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail...teoMan) aboard - it is quite accurate and helpful although I miss that feeling of success when tapping an analog instrument.
I installed and used one of these for an atlantic crossing. The skipper soon became bored with the barometric pressure display, so I switched it to display line voltage (a very handy feature). With its big number display, we quickly learned that we were short on volts, and this became our alarm clock to run the engine to charge the batteries. A very expensive voltmeter. However, the barometric features were also excellent. Its a pricey unit.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 17:43   #29

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

The very best Barograph / I use a digital barometers they are a really a digital barograph. The one I have is french maked called VION LCD a good unit it serve me 4 years so far This year there is also one from starpath called Mintaka Duo barographs you will find in Ocean Navigator on line a story on a US made unit. The barograph perfected - Ocean Navigator - March/April 2015

The VION Barograph I use together with a second hand big ships analog barometer I bought on ebay expensive but worth the price, I use it to double check with the Analoge unit I fully trust it is mounted at the nav table..

Where the VION is mounted over the boats sette where I spend a lot of my time, it has a handy alarm, when there is a drop a segnificant pressure (I have ajusted to a drop of 4 Mb in a one hour period). When it sounds a warning. sure enough within 8 to 12 hours a front comes screaming through.

I hope you find my information and experence useful.

Happy navigation experence
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:52   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
Hello

Im looking to buy ( yeah I know, ill post in the classifieds aswell) a Barograph.

Does anyone have one sitting on the shelf they would be willing to part with

cheers

LD
Someone may have the drum and pen type. Finding the graph paper would be a bitch.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote