Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 18:07   #736

Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Finally got an image uploaded! We have been going back and forth with the mast head rig and the M2 hanging up.

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 18:17   #737

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Is it really as simple as buying a 23dbi antenna, mounting it on the masthead or mizzen mast head and running the cable to the computer or to the router as you suggest? I suppose there is a need to suppli 12Vdc to the antenna at some point as well? If so please supply a recommendation for said 23dbi antenna.
Pretty much yes. The only thing that needs power is the router itself. However, if you dont want / need that, the antenna cable will plug into a wifi card and then into your lappy/pc via usb. No extra power required.
Old 24-02-2011, 18:36   #738

Boat: Taswell 49
I thought these antennas required 12v? Or at least the more powerful ones.
Old 25-02-2011, 03:38   #739
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Ehrm... WiFi antenna cables up the mast? stop, don't buy anything yet lol.

First, the M2hp is the new generation: M is new, easy to remember. So thatboatguy must mean a BulletM2hp and I think he also tried the older Bullet2hp but only the M worked regardless of statements that the old generation is better. I am not surprised at all and indicated same or better performance for the M series all the time here.

About cables: there is no coax cable. At the masthead you install the antenna and, directly connected to it without coax, the Bullet radio. The Bullet is the WiFi router. The cabling up the mast is a single Ethernet cable which supplies both power and network.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 03:47   #740

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post

Yes, this is a n-mode link which only the M series can do. This shows that the M series can see a -90dB signal with -96dB noise level. How did you get the WEP key?

Anyway, this is a 5+ mile link to a Linksys with it's little mickey mouse antenna's and it's impossible that you can receive that well enough for a solid connection. But you can try some things like:

- select 20 MHz wide channel instead of current auto-setting which chooses 40 MHz.
- try a higher gain antenna, like 12dB gain.
- try a directional antenna, like with a NanoStationM2.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 25-02-2011, 08:41   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Ehrm... WiFi antenna cables up the mast? stop, don't buy anything yet lol.

First, the M2hp is the new generation: M is new, easy to remember. So thatboatguy must mean a BulletM2hp and I think he also tried the older Bullet2hp but only the M worked regardless of statements that the old generation is better. I am not surprised at all and indicated same or better performance for the M series all the time here.

About cables: there is no coax cable. At the masthead you install the antenna and, directly connected to it without coax, the Bullet radio. The Bullet is the WiFi router. The cabling up the mast is a single Ethernet cable which supplies both power and network.

cheers,
Nick.
Thanks Nick I was not suggesting coax though I get that it would just be a run of cat 5. If I am not interested in creating a hot spot on my boat and simply want a single connection point at my nav station can you suggest an antenna without the router? One less piece of gear to worry about IMHO.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 09:09   #742

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Thanks Nick I was not suggesting coax though I get that it would just be a run of cat 5. If I am not interested in creating a hot spot on my boat and simply want a single connection point at my nav station can you suggest an antenna without the router? One less piece of gear to worry about IMHO.
Again: BulletM2hp or the older Bullet2hp with a matching antenna so the sets as sold and listed in this thread many times.

You do need a router and this has nothing to do with a hotspot on board... if you want that, you need two Ubiquity devices.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 25-02-2011, 09:16   #743
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

[QUOTE=SV Escape Plan;628328]... can you suggest an antenna without the router? [QUOTE]

The problem is that when you are dealing with microwave frequencies, the antenna cables ALL have such a high loss that they rapidly eat up any power gain that the antenna can supply. Unless you are using thick low-loss cable and a very short run of it...You will lose power by cabling up to "just" an external antenna.

That's why the PoE systems put a router right up at the antenna, so there is "zero" signal lost in the antenna connection, and then you can run up to 100(?) meters of Cat5 cable to your computer, with no signal loss. Just a voltage loss--which is already accomodated for in the PoE standard, and doesn't affect signal quality.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 09:26   #744

Im good now I understand the router at the masthead with the antenna and a run of cat 5 down the rig where I can inject 12vdc and either use a wireless router or just plug into my laptop.

What about this kit?:Marine WiFi Systems

It includes an 8db antenna and looks pretty complete? Is that antenna strong enough? I was getting the impression that I should be looking for something more like 15-20db?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 12:01   #745

At this time I can not recommend the 15db antenna. I'll have more of an opinion in about 3 months.

As for that "WEP" linksys... I can't explain that Nick, honestly I am full aware that WEP is simply not secure and how to go about proving it to someone, but that linksys was wide open. I didn't have to back up my tracks or anything...

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 12:13   #746

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Again: BulletM2hp or the older Bullet2hp with a matching antenna so the sets as sold and listed in this thread many times.

You do need a router and this has nothing to do with a hotspot on board... if you want that, you need two Ubiquity devices.

cheers,
Nick.
I don't think so. You can do with just the Bullet and the POE. You can then plug the LAN side of the POE into your laptop.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 21:25   #747

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
I don't think so. You can do with just the Bullet and the POE. You can then plug the LAN side of the POE into your laptop.
What do you don't think so then, when you repeat what I wrote?
(hint: the Bullet is configured as router)

cheers,
Nick.
Old 26-02-2011, 09:42   #748
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
I have a 23dbi antenna on the flybridge that goes to my Alfa R36 router.
Curious about:
What's the size of this 23dBi antenna?
How long of a cable run is there to the wi-fi device?
What are you using as your wi-fi device?

BTW: Nice video of your boat.

Cheers,
Old 26-02-2011, 09:56   #749

Boat: Ta Chiao CT 41

We bought the MiFi from Verizon. Haven't tried it for distance, will have a go at it in April. Our neighbor at the marina says his works 5 miles out. Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products

Has anyone tried Bitstorm - Home
Old 26-02-2011, 10:03   #750
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
Confessions of a war-sailor:

At tonight's anchorage, the only thing that works is... wait for it... the M2HP with an 8dbi omni hoisted on... ack... the flag halyard! You just never know. Believe me, I pulled every trick in the book before I tried that combination.
George, did you try limiting the Bullet2HP to B mode and using a lower speed? That's where your highest power will be for both the 2HP and M2. Were the 2HP and the M2 in the same location for your results? What were your settings for the following: Rate Algorithm, Noise Immunity, Distance and ACK Timeout? What were the antenna dBi gains that were used on each?

The Bullet2HP has a higher power capability than the BulletM2 based on both our testing and Ubiquiti spec sheets. Any comparison really has to
be done simultaneously with similar settings in each. A time lapse between tests can see changes in results (i.e. a truck that was parked has now moved, etc). Either that or multiple swaps of 2HP and M2 that always yield the same results. Did you swap back and forth for your observation?

Without knowing the above, your observation and result can't really be used for drawing any conclusions.

But we'd like to know,