Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 16:23   #721
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
I just love the directional antennas and the options they open up too much.George
George: More power to ya. I just wish that there were more folks as energetic as you and Nick with your willingness (eagerness) to tinker. My life would be oh so much easier!

Cheers,
Old 23-02-2011, 16:31   #722

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Long-Distance WiFi Device

What do the directional anntenna's look like?
Any pictures ?
Where do you buy them?

I just purchased the IslandTimes system, but what I read here I should mount it on the rail and then sometime use a directional anntenna?

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:36   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
What do the directional anntenna's look like?
Any pictures ?
Where do you buy them?

I just purchased the IslandTimes system, but what I read here I should mount it on the rail and then sometime use a directional anntenna?

Mark
I have two:

One is a factory built Yagi. It looks like a 2 foot stick with bristles, sort of like the nose on a sawfish.

The other one is a cantenna which I built myself and it looks like... well... it looks like a big ravioli can with an N connector on it. heh heh. I'll take a photo and post it.

I think you made a good choice with Island Time and I know for a fact that Bob will be able to tell you anything you need to know about optimum mounting etc...

I'd also point out that while most think we are somewhat fanatical about the wifi thing, we do make money online and that enhances our cruising. For over 5 years we have not paid for internet service and that adds up too, over $3K buys a lot of ravioli!

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 17:26   #724
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
what I read here I should mount it on the rail and then sometime use a directional anntenna
If you're looking for the best reception, height matters. Not because you want range so much, but you want to get a clear line of sight and are above most other obstructions. As has been previously discussed, mounting on the rail will have your fresnel zone touching the water and reducing your overall performance. It's OK for a few miles tops when on the rail. 5+ miles when higher like at masthead.

With a directional antenna, the discussion here now is amongst those who enjoy the tinkering. Using a deck level directional will require aiming (or at least pointing in the right direction) and then controlling power. Directionals, including cantennas, get their power mostly from concentrating their beam (much like a flashlight) and capable of saturating an access point when in close (just like even a small flashlight in your eyeballs). The concept of deck level use is because you need access to them for aiming and they put out more power, blasting through obstructions (other boats). Being at the back of a pack (thus needing the directional) could very likely disrupt others in the general area of your signal if your power is higher than the prescribed 36dBm. Devices like the NanoStationM2 are carrier class devices intended to be point-to-point (communications towers), not stations in point-to-multipoint (hotspot) setups. This then really becomes more about being a good (bad?) netizen and sharing the airwaves co-operatively with everyone.

Regards,
Old 23-02-2011, 17:37   #725

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Long-Distance WiFi Device

So the idea of mounting the antenna on the rail is more for portability?
Mount it on the rail for close in work or strong signal.
Take it off the rail and put a Yagi end on it for farther out or tough signals?
Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 19:07   #726

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

New to this and I think I may have made an error.
Some time ago I was reading the beginning of this thread and I got the impression that Engenius was the top system out there so after a little more research, (although not here ) this weekend I ordered the EOC -2611P and 8dB Ant. I was intending to mount it at the masthead. Price was good at $72CDN(EOC-2611P) and free shipping. However over the pass couple of days I been back here to see that the Bullet is the preferred choice. Is there really a big difference between in performance between the two? I sail on Lake Ontario so there should be any number of signals. Is it worth it to return the EOC-2611P less 15% restocking fee and order the Bullet m2hp @ $80 + $15 POE + shipping $10+.

Opinions?

Glenn
glenn.225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 05:35   #727
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
I ordered the EOC -2611P and 8dB Ant. I was intending to mount it at the masthead.
[...]
Is it worth it to return the EOC-2611P less 15% restocking fee and order the Bullet m2hp @ $80 + $15 POE + shipping $10+.
The 2611 is the same as the NanoStation2 (old model) from Ubiquity. It has the same directional antenna array internally, plus the same connector for an external antenna.

If you want to mount something at the masthead: yes, return it and go for either the Bullet2HP or the newer BulletM2hp with a matching (connector must be right) 8dB omni-directional. The biggest reason is that it eliminates the coax cable and it's a fraction of the size. Buy a complete kit from IslandTime or WifiForBoats in that case.

Another option is to start with the 2611 without the external antenna, mounting it onto an arch, shroud etc. It might be all you need and/or buy a kit with Bullet later.

I am not convinced that the power injector of the 2611 is compatible with the Bullet so keep the stuff apart unless somebody can tell you for sure it'll work.

I have a lot of WiFi radios aboard and could sell them on within minutes if I want so that might be a better option than returning it.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 06:14   #728

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

Glenn.225,

You could also look at the "Bad Boy" products from bitstorm. I have the "Extreme" and "Unleashed" products which give me a ubiquity based solution providing long range and a hot spot onboard.

They are just down the road from you in Toronto and are comparable in price to the ones suggested by Jedi.

Bitstorm Online

No affilliation, blah, blah, blah
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 11:03   #729

Boat: Taswell 49

[QUOTE=Olorin;627332]Glenn.225,

You could also look at the "Bad Boy" products from bitstorm. I have the "Extreme" and "Unleashed" products which give me a ubiquity based solution providing long range and a hot spot onboard.]

Im new to this but if I understand correct I would want to purchase something like: Bitstorm Bad Boy Xtreme

and mount it on the masthead or maybe my mizzen for better line of sight?
Then run the cable to my nav station where the computer is , insert 12Vdc, and im good to go?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 11:37   #730

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I'd also like to reccomend a WIFI router. I have a 23dbi antenna on the flybridge that goes to my Alfa R36 router. From there, i can use my main PC and more usefully, my laptop anywhere on the boat with no extra wires or usb things sticking out the side, just like a home setup. Youve also got the advantage that if you do have more than 1 PC, they cant talk to each other so youd be able to use stuff on your main PC on your laptop in the cabin for example.

Old 24-02-2011, 11:42   #731

If Im reading the Bitstorm page right the package includes a 6dbi antenna, where as simonmd is using a 23dbi antenna. That sounds like a better antenna no?
Old 24-02-2011, 12:21   #732

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

bigger is better sure, but depends on where you're going to use it. If just marina based, a 6dbi will be fine but for offshore, you need to be in double figures at least.
Old 24-02-2011, 13:36   #733

Is it really as simple as buying a 23dbi antenna, mounting it on the masthead or mizzen mast head and running the cable to the computer or to the router as you suggest? I suppose there is a need to suppli 12Vdc to the antenna at some point as well? If so please supply a recommendation for said 23dbi antenna.
Old 24-02-2011, 15:40   #734

Confessions of a war-sailor:

At tonight's anchorage, the only thing that works is... wait for it... the M2HP with an 8dbi omni hoisted on... ack... the flag halyard! You just never know. Believe me, I pulled every trick in the book before I tried that combination.

George <--- with barely usable wifi yet somewhat humbled.
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 17:57   #735

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
Confessions of a war-sailor:

At tonight's anchorage, the only thing that works is... wait for it... the M2HP with an 8dbi omni hoisted on... ack... the flag halyard! You just never know. Believe me, I pulled every trick in the book before I tried that combination.

George <--- with barely usable wifi yet somewhat humbled.

This thread has left me in total confusion.

What you are using is "old" stuff right?

What say the gurus why the "new" better stuff is not working??

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote