Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29   #661

quick start help for nanostation m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Any chance that the ones you see are encypted, so you're locked out of them? (Just throwing out a guess here.)
No, thats not the problem, theres just so many decisions to be made. The device comes preconfigured but there is just too many options and too much to know without a quick start guide.
The device comes configured as a bridge, but it seems it must be reconfigured as a router according to one of the guides I am using at the moment.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30   #662
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Hi,
I dont suppose its possible for someone to give me some first time setup advice. its so complicated with these devices...
The Ubiquiti devices with the native code on them can be a bit of a bear to get through. Lots of seemingly cryptic fields and drop down list, mostly confusing and certainly potentially rendering your device ineffective if configured wrong. The vanilla Ubiquiti devices were not intended for consumer use. It may be worthwhile checking with some companies that offer these that have written their own code, thus eliminating much of that learning curve.

Mike
Old 11-02-2011, 09:54   #663

Quote:
No, thats not the problem, theres just so many decisions to be made. The device comes preconfigured but there is just too many options and too much to know without a quick start guide.
The device comes configured as a bridge, but it seems it must be reconfigured as a router according to one of the guides I am using at the moment.
If you have followed the nano guide. You can "select" then from the list of scanned access points you can click on one of the little empty circles to the left of it. The click "select". Then click "change" at the bottom of the page, then click "apply" at the top of the page. For an open access point that works, for one with security you will have had to put that info in as well before selecting "apply".

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:44   #664

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Hi,
I dont suppose its possible for someone to give me some first time setup advice. its so complicated with these devices and its not as if I have not had any experience with POE wireless bridges as I used to have an airbridge.

Thanks John
Read this guide I wrote specifically for Bullet M2HP but valid for 2HP as well.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31   #665
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Please note that all the Ubiquity M-series radios have the same software and thus the same setup instructions.

The main thing is that you must select "station" mode.

You find all their guides on their wiki here: Ubiquiti Wiki

And the guide for mobile users here: http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/Nano_Quick_Set-up.pdf

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 13:20   #666

Hi Nick and Richard,
Thankyou both very much. I had ver 5.1 and updated to 5.3, then completed the install using Richards guidelines and it works perfectly.

(I still dont understand the difference between all the models nanostation m2 or nanostation 2 etc etc.)

thanks again very much
Old 11-02-2011, 13:47   #667

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
(I still dont understand the difference between all the models nanostation m2 or nanostation 2 etc etc.)
With that AirOS v5 software it means you have the NanoStationM2.. which is the new generation... think of it as with computers... new generations introduce more features, have a faster CPU etc.

Don't forget to lower the power setting of your NS as much as possible... the best method for finding the optimum setting is to lower it 3dB, save and test. At some point it will stop working... add 3dB to get back to the last setting again and you are good. Do this when lots of users are on-line because at 4:00 am it'll probably work even at the lowest setting

ciao!
Nick.
Old 11-02-2011, 14:04   #668

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashmore View Post
Ubiquiti makes some of the best and easiest to set up wifi gear on the market but from what I have read about the NanostationM2 it would not be my first choice on a boat.

Around the US coast where /n is getting more available the M series would be appropriate but in the Caribbean the Bullet 2HP would be a better choice. N has hardly penetrated down there yet and the 2HP has slightly higher power and receive sensitivity in the b/g modes than the M series.

The Bullet 2HP has several advantages.
Can you show me some links to suppliers? Thanks!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 14:23   #669
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40
Just to be clear: The higher speeds offered by /N doesn't mean much because you will always be limited to the speed of the internet connection that the hotspot is connected to. So you can blast back and forth to the hotspot at 100mbps, but you're gonna wait while your internet access gets put to the web at best at 3-4mbps. There is a reality here - use /N if you have it, but don't expect a faster connection. As I pointed out earlier; looking at the specs for these devices shows your highest power output and receiver sensitivity will occur at your lower speeds. /B may get a better connection for you than /G or /N may.

Cheers,
Mike
mlahrkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 15:16   #670

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlahrkamp View Post
Just to be clear: The higher speeds offered by /N doesn't mean much
[...]
/B may get a better connection for you than /G or /N may.
n-mode will allow up to 130 Mbps link when the access-point supports it but, like you say, this speed isn't so important. However, the MiMo 2x2 antenna array of the NanoStationM2 with both horizontal and vertical polarization does make a difference. Most marine-mobile situations need to deal with a forest of masts & rigging and other obstructions instead of a clear line of sight. This is where MiMo excels. The NS-M2 uses this 2x2 antenna array for every mode it supports, so also for g- and even b-mode. The older generations do not have MiMo technology.. but are $20 or so cheaper.

In the Caribbean... things change too. I just finished the setup of a large n-mode network at Shelter Bay Marina in Colon, Panama so here you get nice 130 Mbps link with horizontal polarization when you use a NanoStationM2 and I'm sure other places will change over too and guess some already did.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:50   #671

I am very impressed that the software for the m2 nano and bullet are the same and they are now both on the v5.3 software release.

Could someone recommend an omni (say around 8 dbi) for the bulletm2 that I can buy in Europe over the internet. If I choose one myself, then I run the risk that what comes in not suitable for boats , as in non stainless fittings etc etc.

thanks John
Old 12-02-2011, 04:24   #672

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Can you show me some links to suppliers? Thanks!

John
John & Fuss, in the USA check out wifi-stock or their UK sister company wifi-stock

They both offer the full range of Ubiquiti products, antenna's & POE injectors.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 17:21   #673

Not exactly blinding speed but very usable wifi from 4-5 miles away. I'm happy with the setup we have now. I have the 2HP at the masthead with the Hawkings 15dbi omni. I have the M2HP down here with the cantenna and I'll be taking down the old omni which I think is 12dbi to make it hoistable.

George
Old 16-02-2011, 15:40   #674
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Hi,
I dont suppose its possible for someone to give me some first time setup advice. its so complicated with these devices and its not as if I have not had any experience with POE wireless bridges as I used to have an airbridge.

Where's the quick start guide and how do I get it to the stage where I can select a wifi network? I can see them but not select any. After finally finding the beginners setup guide for nanostation 2 for truckers, marine etc deeply imbedded under a wiki link...I still cannot select a wifi network from the scan screen.

I had this problem years ago with the airbridge criptic software and I thought by now things would have improved with later software and devices.
Thanks John
John,

Can I suggest a "shake it out of the box" solution - it still requires you to install it, and you pay a small premium for it. However, I can tell you that Bob at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC has a decent solution, for a decent price, and his support is just outstanding. We have had one of his units for about 2 years now, and it works just great.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 15:51   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
John,

Can I suggest a "shake it out of the box" solution - it still requires you to install it, and you pay a small premium for it. However, I can tell you that Bob at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC has a decent solution, for a decent price, and his support is just outstanding. We have had one of his units for about 2 years now, and it works just great.
I couldn't agree more. Bob's the man!

George