Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 13:24   #421
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I have a gimbaled radar part way up my mast on my 39ft. Mono Hull.
Can I take the top cover off the radar housing and attach a WiFi antennae on it and reinstall the cover. And then go with a 12db antennae, like the Cats?
Would the gimbal make it stable enough to do that I wonder? It is only gimbled port to starboard and not bow to stern.

Thoughts?

Extemp.
If you are going to use a Bullet based system the antenna will have to mounted on a 12" tube to allow for the fact that the Bullet extends down about 7" below the base of the antenna.

I think you will have to be the test case for an antenna mounted on the case of a gimbaled radar.

Here's a picture of a backstay mount from Kato Marine. You could use this above the radar mount.
Old 08-01-2010, 13:27   #422
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Probably a bad idea, in that close proximity the radar might pump enough energy into the Wifi antenna to do harm. And, the Wifi antenna usually is a couple to six inchs inches long? Won't fit unless it is beside the radar antenna (very bad idea) or laid horizontal, in which case it will pick up every station on your deck or above your boat, but not much else.

A piece of thin capped PVC pipe or vinyl tubing would make a better "extra raincoat" for it. Either might weaken a signal, but probably not that you'd notice.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 16:33   #423

Boat: 1984 Prout Snowgoose 37
...just putting in my 2 cents worth after using a ubiquiti bullet for about 6 months now on our boat and at the house...

the bullet2 and L-com 4db antenna are in the pvc tube under the anchor light...the "plumber's nightmare" is 1 1/2" thin wall pvc tube sitting on top of a 9' piece of 1 1/2" sked 40 alum tube on one of the sterns (we have an old Prout Snowgoose cat). The spare VHF antenna and GPS antenna are also there...

the cat5 cable from the bullet goes to this netgear access point that lurks in a locker in the head...so we have wireless on the boat for our laptops...this is wired to ship's 12v through a fuse and on off switch...the poe has male and female rj45 connectors on it making it hard to get them switched and put 12v into the netgear ethernet port...this system has worked great on our boat and we found wifi access in some unlikely anchorages on a recent trip up the waterway to the chesapeake this past fall...

...this is the spare bullet2 and its 1 1/2" thinwall (the bullet won't fit in the thicker sked 40 pvc pipe!) pvc "weather tube". This was the first experiment with the bullet2 and we just hoisted it up the flag halyard with 50' of cat5 running into a portlight into the cabin...it is our backup unit now. I originally wanted to hook the 2 bullets "back to back" as station-router-access point but had some problems with the hookup...

...this is the temporary setup at the house for the second bullet2 until we move back on the boat next week...there's an open router out there somewhere!!

the bullets are a little bit "geeky" to set up initially, but there is great help on the ubiquiti site and on their user forum...I think they are well suited for boats and quite inexpensive!!

end of my 2 cents worth!

fair winds,

George
Old 10-01-2010, 18:06   #424

Boat: Privilege 39
Putting the bullet in PVC is a very simple and clever idea to keep them watertight, which tends to a problem with the RJ45 connector. Thanks for that idea and info about your setup.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:10   #425
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

BTW, the quick & dirty test for PVC is to put a piece in the microwave (along with a cup of water) and nuke it for a minute. If the PVC heats up--it is absorbing microwaves and not suitable for this purpose. Usually thin white PVC is OK, gray or black more likely to heat up because of carbon content.
Old 12-01-2010, 16:25   #426

Boat: Catalac 12M - Llamedos
Quote:
Originally Posted by captfolly View Post
...just putting in my 2 cents worth after using a ubiquiti bullet for about 6 months now on our boat and at the house...

end of my 2 cents worth!

fair winds,

George
Thanks so much, George. Your pictures made it so much clearer. Much simpler than I thought!
Peter
peterfynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 18:48   #427
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Captfolly;

What kind of antenna is that?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 22:40   #428

www.wifi-link.com

Check this out for ~$160 - 1000mW USB adapter + OMNI 12dBi + Lightning Protector + 7m/23ft

1000mW USB adapter Features:
*IEEE 802.11g/b standard
*Up to 54Mbps high data-rate and 1W high output power
*USB 2.0 Interface and UPnP
*Supports 64/128-bit WEP encryption, advanced WPA/WPA2/802.1x for WLAN security

This 12dB Omni antenna is a sphere shaped, non-directional, and covers 360 degree. The signal range is around 1800 feet.
imhminlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 06:59   #429
Marine Service Provider

Anyone with an Alfa know why it would decide to mysteriously stop working?

I have a really strong signal, but can't seem to get online. The internet at my marina does stink, someone else said it was going in and out the other day. But I consistently have a strong signal, but can't get on.

Tried googling this, and found nothing. Should I try reinstalling? Any chance Ad Aware, Spybot, AVG, etc. decided to delete something that it shouldn't have. Or maybe after 3-1/2 years it's time to finally do a fresh install of XP? I'm so dreading that, though.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 08:13   #430

Anyone out there had experience with the Bullet2HP? I realize that it is a very new unit, but it is 1 Watt as opposed to 0.1 Watt. I am wondering if it is worth buying - mainly from the electrical energy draw. They say to use a 15V PoE supply, but on the phone this morning, the dealer (www.hdwifi.com - Wireless Network Products WiFi Gear, 802.11, WISP, WLAN) believes that it will work from 8 to 24Vdc.
Any comments? Perhaps I should stick with the tried and true Bullet2.
Peter
Old 13-01-2010, 09:07   #431
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

grunzster-
"But I consistently have a strong signal, but can't get on." Pardon me for asking what might seem obvisous, but is the signal encrypted? That would stop you regardless of the strength. Or, their signal might be strong enough for you to hear--but your signal might be too weak for them to receive.

Peter-
When you use a higher power transmitter, it will consume more power form your DC. Then you say 1 watt as opposed to 0.1 watt...that's like asking if a 300hp engine is going to need more fuel than a 30hp engine. Yup, for sure it will. The question is, do you need low power drains, or a high power radio? Or, do you set up both and just use the one you need, when you need it?
Old 13-01-2010, 09:18   #432

Thanks HelloSailor.
Yes, I realize that I will use more power. As we want the boat to be green, power consumption is key, so I will stick with the 2. It's cheaper that way too and I can get information from those who use it.
Peter
Old 13-01-2010, 09:26   #433
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfynn View Post
Anyone out there had experience with the Bullet2HP? I realize that it is a very new unit, but it is 1 Watt as opposed to 0.1 Watt. I am wondering if it is worth buying - mainly from the electrical energy draw. They say to use a 15V PoE supply, but on the phone this morning, the dealer (www.hdwifi.com - Wireless Network Products WiFi Gear, 802.11, WISP, WLAN) believes that it will work from 8 to 24Vdc.
Any comments? Perhaps I should stick with the tried and true Bullet2.
Peter
Lots of people having been using Bullet 2HP's over the past year. I don't know what the actual power consumption of the Bullet 2's are but the spec sheet list it as 4 watts compared to 8 for the Bullet 2HP. The Bullet 2HP uses 3-4 watts normally.

I believe that the B2HP is worth having onboard because of the flexibility of having a higher output available. My experience has been that 400-500mw or less will take care of most connections and that use of 1 watt will frequently reduce throughput or even make a connection impossible. There are rare instances where 1 watt is required to allow the AP to hear the Bullet.

The Bullet can run on 8-24 volts dc according to Ubiquiti but at 8 vdc you better be using a very short cable run to the bullet. They will operate on nominal 12vdc with cable runs up to 100'.
Old 13-01-2010, 09:36   #434
Marine Service Provider

Nope not encrypted, same marina and same slip I've been in. Just stopped working a few days ago. And I did do a few scans at the time, leading me to my did something my system needed get tossed guess.

Guess I'll have to take a walk up to the marina when i get a chance and see if I can get online from inside the building using my machines internal antenna.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 11:42   #435

This thread is too long to read the whole thing but hoping I can get some quick advice. Use this wireless-g adapter:

Amazon.com: EnGenius EUB362 Ext Long Range USB Adapter (802.11b/g): Electronics

With this multi-directional antenna that works at 2.4Ghz (also used for HDTV):

Amazon.com: Antennas Direct DB2 Multi Directional HDTV Antenna: Electronics

Run it about 25ft up in the air with standard coaxial cable and see what you pick up? I already have the antenna for HDTV so this would be a very nice solution.
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote