Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 12:08   #406
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Bryan,

Here are a couple of potential POE sources I grabbed off the web.

MS(Distribution)UK

Wi-Pipe Ireland
Old 06-01-2010, 13:46   #407

I am just using ohms law. 24ga wire is 404 circular mils. Times 2 is 808cm. Resistance of copper is 10.37 ohms/cm-ft. 10.37/808 = .0128 ohms/ft. .0128 ohms/ft X 150 ft = 1.9 ohms which is what that calculator came up with.

By ohms law V=AxR so .4 x 1.9= .76 volts which is also close to what that calculator came up with BUT that is only one direction. The current still has to get back so the total voltage drop is twice what that calculator says.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 17:06   #408
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gashmore, I was wrong about the calculator. As you proved, it is not using the round trip distance in it's math.
Old 06-01-2010, 17:08   #409

Boat: Cheoy Lee 33 Ketch
I ordered an alpha unit today. Will post my results after I try it out.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:16   #410

Boat: Catalac 12M - Llamedos
Hi, I have been following this thread for a while and I am particularly following Bryan and Wendy's questions and the answers by some wonderful, helpful people. We will be moving onto our sailboat full time in the near future and as I do a lot of my work over the net I will require access somehow.
My question is at the two ends. What antenna should the bullet be connected to? and I have a Macintosh the the other end. If my Mac can talk to my LinkSys now, I am assuming it will continue to do so. Is this correct? Somewhere earlier in the thread I noticed a comment that said all this applies to Windows only. Maybe that only referred to some software package. I am assuming that the antenna - bullet - cat5 cable basically takes the place of the IP coax - modem - cat5 cable combination from my IP people (cox cable). Have I got this correct?
Thanks,
Peter
peterfynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:31   #411

The Bullet is a regular Ethernet device and is configured through any browser so it will work with your Mac.

Antenna depends on the type boat and if you are anchored or tied to a dock. In general you want an omni directional antenna with a female N connector. A cat can handle a 12db gain antenna but 8 db is the max for a mono due to rocking. That will take care of 99% of the situations.

If you are living aboard in a slip at the far end of a large marina, a directional antenna aimed at the marina's access point might give better through put but would be real hassle at anchor.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:46   #412

Boat: hunter 31 " Jacobs Dream"
Send a message via ICQ to Charlesc Send a message via Yahoo to Charlesc
havent tried this one yet but looking forward to it.

Bitstorm Bad Boy Xtreme
Charlesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:31   #413

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfynn View Post
Hi, I have been following this thread for a while and I am particularly following Bryan and Wendy's questions and the answers by some wonderful, helpful people. We will be moving onto our sailboat full time in the near future and as I do a lot of my work over the net I will require access somehow.
My question is at the two ends. What antenna should the bullet be connected to? and I have a Macintosh the the other end. If my Mac can talk to my LinkSys now, I am assuming it will continue to do so. Is this correct? Somewhere earlier in the thread I noticed a comment that said all this applies to Windows only. Maybe that only referred to some software package. I am assuming that the antenna - bullet - cat5 cable basically takes the place of the IP coax - modem - cat5 cable combination from my IP people (cox cable). Have I got this correct?
Thanks,
Peter
Regarding your question about the Bullet acting as IP (I think you mean ISP) coax-modem-cat5. Yes, the bullet should act as a bridge doing the same job. As it has a web browser interface like your Linksys it should work with any browser.

Jack C
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:32   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesc View Post
havent tried this one yet but looking forward to it.

Bitstorm Bad Boy Xtreme
Save your money. That is basically a Bullet 2HP with a cheap antenna. They say "4 Watts with a 6db antenna". The catch there is that every 3 db of antenna gain doubles the effective radiated power so 4/2/2 is 1 watt out of the transmitter. Same as the Bullet. If you want to play that way a Bullet with a good 8db antenna puts out 6.3 watts.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:51   #415

Boat: beneteau 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Bryan,

Here are a couple of potential POE sources I grabbed off the web.

MS(Distribution)UK

Wi-Pipe Ireland
Thanks W32,
you are a star. Why couldn't I find that I wonder? What I was actually expecting was a 'box' I can hard wire into the ethernet and 12v cables, my logic being that its the same effort to solder on two connectors as it is to hard wire the ethernet cable and 12v cable to the distribution board. This would also eliminate two connections, with associated losses. Or am I missing something?
Bryan
bryan and wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:12   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
Regarding your question about the Bullet acting as IP (I think you mean ISP) coax-modem-cat5. Yes, the bullet should act as a bridge doing the same job. As it has a web browser interface like your Linksys it should work with any browser.

Jack C
Thanks, Jack. Yes ISP is right. OK. I am beginning to understand what is going on with the system. Your help is much appreciated.
Peter
Old 08-01-2010, 12:19   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashmore View Post
Save your money. That is basically a Bullet 2HP with a cheap antenna. They say "4 Watts with a 6db antenna". The catch there is that every 3 db of antenna gain doubles the effective radiated power so 4/2/2 is 1 watt out of the transmitter. Same as the Bullet. If you want to play that way a Bullet with a good 8db antenna puts out 6.3 watts.
I am still concerned about the antenna then. Cheap antenna? How do I figure out what quality an antenna is? Is there a reliable antenna supplier that I can buy from? Clearly the antenna will be up a mast in some bad conditions with salt etc. So, one needs a marine tolerant antenna that is also high quality with regard to reception.
Thanks,
Peter
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21   #418
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"How do I figure out what quality an antenna is? "
Brand name, warranty, not made in China, and able to pass the Mark I Eyeball test.

Or, I suppose, you could run a home shower on it for a couple of hours before installing it, to make sure it was rainproof before installing it aloft.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:35   #419

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Silly Question?

I have a gimbaled radar part way up my mast on my 39ft. Mono Hull.
Can I take the top cover off the radar housing and attach a WiFi antennae on it and reinstall the cover. And then go with a 12db antennae, like the Cats?
Would the gimbal make it stable enough to do that I wonder? It is only gimbled port to starboard and not bow to stern.

Thoughts?

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 13:06   #420
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and wendy View Post
Thanks W32,
you are a star. Why couldn't I find that I wonder? What I was actually expecting was a 'box' I can hard wire into the ethernet and 12v cables, my logic being that its the same effort to solder on two connectors as it is to hard wire the ethernet cable and 12v cable to the distribution board. This would also eliminate two connections, with associated losses. Or am I missing something?
Bryan
Bryan, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. It doesn't get much simpler than using a passive POE and connecting a power pigtail to your 12 volt system.

Below is a picture of the components for a commercial POE and a picture of the simplest method of injecting power by pulling out the power conductors from the cable.