Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 24-10-2009, 10:29   #286

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Next, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Set a Bullet up as a Nat Router and plug it into the WAN port on the Time Capsule and you'll be good to go. Do not get a Bullet 5. It will not connect to any 2.4 Ghz AP's.

If your antenna has an N-female connector on it, you can attach the Bullet directly to the antenna. If the coax is hard wired to the antenna I would suggest replacing the antenna with one that allows you to connect directly to it. The coax cable is probably consuming 50% of your output and a significant amount of the received signal.
OK, I am down here in Trini and have everything set up and running through the Apple MacBook Pro and I am ready to set the Bullet up as a NAT Router.

When I go to the AIR OS page and click on the "Network" tab, I get a choice of "Bridge" or "Router". When I select "Router" I am now lost since a lot of choices come up that I don't know how to fill out. Do I select DHCP, PPPoE, or Static? What LAN settings do I need to make, etc.

I think I am pretty close, but then again I only know enough to be dangerous...

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 11:33   #287

OK, You owe me one. I am all packed to go to Tortola in the AM and had to retrieve my cheat sheet from the bottom of my duffel. :-)

On the NETWORK tab
in the WLAN settings select "Router"
Select "DHCP".
Down in the LAN setings pick an IP address for the Bullet. Something like 192.168.55.1. Net mask 255.255.255.0
Enable NAT
Enable DHCP
Start Range 192.168.55.100
End Range: 192.168.55.200
Click Change but DO NOT apply.
Clik Advanced tab and set miles to zero ACK Timeout to Auto Adjust nd click Change but DO NOT Apply.
Click Link Setup Tab and set Wireless Mode to "Station". Make Sure Output Power is Max. Click Change and apply.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 12:05   #288
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
wifi for mac

Caelestis,

I also use mac, and came across a unit called the "Wirie". It is basically an Alfa unit setup inside a waterproof box with antenna (v. short coax run) and a USB cable. Price ~$225. It works with the new mac OS versions.

I suppose I could put all that together myself, but there's something to be said, for those of us not hardware savvy, to have the whole thing put together so it's just 'plug n play'.

Anyone here know anything about this unit?

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 17:15   #289

Boat: Ranger 23
Send a message via ICQ to emagin Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin Send a message via Skype™ to emagin
Bullet or Nano ?

Gashmore, in other posts I also see Ubiquiti makes the Nanostation2 and Loco2 and descriptions of setups using them.

I already use a Linksys with DD-WRT on land.
Wouldn't need anything else but a Bullet 2HP and the linksys right?
emagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 19:10   #290

Gash,

Thx for taking the time to dig that out. Unfortunately, after making those changes I was unable to connect to anything and I can no longer get the Win XP machine to see the Bullet at all. I reverted back to the previous set-up.

I would appreciate any advice. Regardless, I still owe you one.

Fair Winds in the BVI,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashmore View Post
OK, You owe me one. I am all packed to go to Tortola in the AM and had to retrieve my cheat sheet from the bottom of my duffel. :-)

On the NETWORK tab
in the WLAN settings select "Router"
Select "DHCP".
Down in the LAN setings pick an IP address for the Bullet. Something like 192.168.55.1. Net mask 255.255.255.0
Enable NAT
Enable DHCP
Start Range 192.168.55.100
End Range: 192.168.55.200
Click Change but DO NOT apply.
Clik Advanced tab and set miles to zero ACK Timeout to Auto Adjust nd click Change but DO NOT Apply.
Click Link Setup Tab and set Wireless Mode to "Station". Make Sure Output Power is Max. Click Change and apply.
Old 25-10-2009, 04:25   #291

Mike, evidently your computer was set to a static address. Now this is probably going to be clear as mud but:

The Bullet's default address is 192.168.1.20. The first 3 groups of numbers is the "domain" . If the network adapter on your comptuer is set to 192.168.1.anything it is in the same domain and can talk to the bullet. Normally you want your boat's domain to be something different from the shore side network. A lot of the access points you run into down island were just plugged in and turned on so they use the default 192.168.1 domain. When you change the Bullet's address outside that domain you have to either change the computer's address to the same domain or let the Bullet assign it for you. The second option is by far the best.

I don't know exactly how to do it on an Apple but in Windows go to Control Panel/Network connections, left click the wired network adapter then Properties. Scroll to Internet Protocol and click Properties. Change it to "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DSN Automatically". That way the Bullet will see it and assign it an address in its domain.

emagin,
Ubiuiti uses the same basic AirOS interface for all it's wifi products with slight differences depending on the devices features.

You can use the Linksys router as a local access point on the boat but you have to dumb it down. In the setup I just described the Bullet serves as both the modem to the outside world and the router for your local network. It assigns addresses (DHCP) and handles network address translations (NAT) and other local services. Having another router in the same domain trying to do the same thing leads to no end of confusion. The simplest thing to do is get a cheap access point and plug it into a hub or switch.

The setup I have used in the past is to wire from the Bullet to a workgroup switch like a $16 Linksys EZSXS55W and from there to the local access point. I also add a second CAT5 cable to the Nav station so you can plug in and get to the Bullet over a wired connection in case the AP craps out. Otherwise you have to unplug the AP and hook up the PC so you can't get to both the Bullet and the AP at the same time.

Now I have to get on that plane. There are a lot of Red Stripes down on Tortola just waiting for me.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 17:45   #292
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Yogao - Gashmore's setup suggestions are good except for setting max power. I wouldn't go over 26dbm unless you just can't connect to a weak signal. If you are close in to an AP and use maximum power you can degrade your throughput or even not connect. Also there is no need to set the ACK number to zero if you have Auto Adjust set and are using AirOS. The only time you need to mess with the ACK is when you are in an anchorage with a lot of 2.4 Ghz traffic or have a lot of mast or buildings around which will cause multi-path signals. In these cases the Auto Adjust algorithm can give bad numbers, usually very high, and you need to take Auto Adjust off and set a distance of about 150% of your best guess of the distance to the AP.

emagin - Your linksys with DD-WRT and a Bullet plugged into the Internet port will give you good wireless access to the internet for all computers onboard.
Old 26-10-2009, 09:13   #293

Thumbs up I think I have it!

Thanks Gashmore, W32 PAMELA and bene505 (aka 'sailingdog' over on anythingsailing.com),

I think between the three of you and my dangerous knowledge, I have got it essentially figured out. Right now, both the MacBook Pro and the Windows XP laptop are using the Bullet which is connected into the Ethernet WAN port on the back of the Apple Time Machine.

I have a bit of clean-up to do so it looks pretty and install a switch so I can turn off the 12V power source to the Bullet.

This is pretty cool! Thanks again!

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 27-10-2009, 20:44   #294

Boat: Hylas 54
Send a message via Skype™ to tulsag
Based upon the Practical Sailor recommendation we bought a 5mileWiFi for $399 and installed it today.

We went from picking up one weak signal at our marina that could only be obtained from the cockpit 20% of the time TO 4 signals found and great internet speed from down in the cabin with the antenna just standing in the cockpit in a winch handle holder temporarily. I'm a fan even if its not cheap. It works!
tulsag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 08:44   #295

Boat: Beneteau 393
The spec sheet for Ubiquiti Bullets states an operating voltage "up to 24v". Some sellers of this product supply a 24v supply.

Can some-one confirm that the Bullet works just as well at 12v, without any loss of performance?
nikki-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 10:38   #296
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Please, does anyone know anything about the Wirie? I'm not a vendor or anything. Just a novice and a mac user trying to get better wifi reception on my boat. I found it with google and it "looks" pretty good and costs less than the 5mile. But I know vendors claims can be "creative(?)", so I was hoping some of the experts here could help me evaluates it.

Thanks,
Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 11:08   #297

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma
Hi All: I just bought this one last night and am testing it prior to heading to Grenada to sail up through to Florida, $250.00.
BoatWifi.com
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 11:27   #298

I was getting set to buy a Ubiquiti 2HP when I stumbled across the PicoStation2HP

www.ubnt.com/downloads/pico2hp_ds.pdf

Most of the specs appear identical to the 2HP (seems reasonable given the model name) It appears to have the advantage of an included antenna and POE injector. The disadvantage is only a 6DBi omni antenna. Am I likely to notice the difference compared to a slighly more directional antenna?

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 11:37   #299
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-m View Post
Can some-one confirm that the Bullet works just as well at 12v, without any loss of performance?
The Bullet works great with 12v as long as you are using less than ~120 feet of cable. 24v is the absolute maximum voltage the bullet can tolerate. If you aren't using 200-300 feet of cable you better make sure the power supply is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci
Please, does anyone know anything about the Wirie?
The Wirie is an Alfa USB wireless adapter packaged in a watertight case with an antenna and USB cable. You'll find comments on them in this thread. People have been generally pleased with them. Any POE based device such as those from Engenius and Ubiquiti will also work with a Mac.

Old 28-10-2009, 12:56   #300

Boat: 1953 McGruer 33' and 1949 Vertue V26
Anyone know how the Repeatit does in comparison?
Jim Newman is offline   Reply With Quote