Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 08:05   #1336

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloof View Post
Hi!
I'm trying to figure out what is the best setup for our cruising vessel. I am trying to figure out what will be the optimum set up for achieving consistent and reliable wifi over large distances. We live aboard and find ourselves in anchorages with cell towers nearby and wifi networks. I jsut ordered my wilson mobile cell tower booster and would like to address wifi next. I've been using my mobile hotspot to receive internet this far, but would like to have an alternative to the cell tower. I would appreciate input regarding durability, (waterproof preferred), cost efficiency, and wifi strength and consistency. We are on a sailboat so I am thinking something attached to the spreaders and maybe running a usb down to a wifi router. Thanks!
Start on page one. More than you would ever want to know.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:39   #1337

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Engenius EUB 362 has been discontinued. According to the spec sheets it doesn't support the n protocol either. All the sites with fire sales on it were out, asking price was only $19. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We use the Engenius EUB 362 with their omni-directional 8db outdoor antenna and we pick up signals up to a couple of miles away. I am typing this using it at our marina right now. We put the entire unit in a waterproof electrical box and haul it up when we need it.

Attachment 5066

kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 10:33   #1338

Boat: Gemini 3200

I'm new here and I didn't read the whole thread but as a wifi engineer, I must say this thread has been very entertaining.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 20:10   #1339

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42

And as this thread still shows I'm dropping any use of Alpha products. I prefer Mac and tried to purchase two new Alpah Modems that Alpha indicated would work with the newer Mac OS and neither do. After several hours of researching and trying various setups I just gave up. They have always been much better on the PC side but I found them simple and adequate for the Mac. That is until OS 10.6. On 10.6 I could not install the drivers but could with 10.5 and then update. Still it's too bad. I like the KISS method and for awhile they were the answer. I've now switched entirely to the IslandTime kits and am happy again.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 07:09   #1340
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
And as this thread still shows I'm dropping any use of Alpha products. I prefer Mac and tried to purchase two new Alpah Modems that Alpha indicated would work with the newer Mac OS and neither do. After several hours of researching and trying various setups I just gave up. They have always been much better on the PC side but I found them simple and adequate for the Mac. That is until OS 10.6. On 10.6 I could not install the drivers but could with 10.5 and then update. Still it's too bad. I like the KISS method and for awhile they were the answer. I've now switched entirely to the IslandTime kits and am happy again.
When working with networks, one should stay away from any interface that is not a network interface. Most laptops have two: Ethernet and wifi. If a manufacturer can't manage to utilize either of those then it's better to move to a manufacturer that does instead of starting the fight with USB drivers etc.

Just my opinion of-course
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:45   #1341

Boat: Valiant 42

Jedi is right. Alfa works best when set up as a WiFi router. Then the computer need only connect to a WiFi access point.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 16:44   #1342

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
That is your connection speed over WiFi to the remote network, not your actual data speed to the internet.

You need to compare apples to apples.

Run Speedtest or TestMy.net on both services (WiFi and 3G) to get a true indication of actual data speeds to the internet.
Exactly. I used to work at a WISP and it always amused me when someone would buy a 802.11n wireless router, plug it into the wall jack in their apartment and then expect to run at fiber speeds when it reality they were never going to go faster than 128k because that is what the apartment complex chose to purchase as an average speed. All connections were allowed to burst for short periods but if the user was doing a long download it would throttle to the assigned speed. PLUS, all ISPs over-subscribe so if there are bandwith hogs in the network you might even go slower than that.

The internet is full of bottlenecks along the way to where you want to go. Always has been. My stock answer to residents who complained about speed is 1) complain to the apartment's office and 2) we will gladly run fiber all the way up to your jack if you want to pay for it...at that time it was about 30k to install plus the monthly bandwidth/carrier costs.

Regarding Speedtest and others, they can give erroneous results. See this for more accurate results.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 20:05   #1343
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Just finished reading a good chunk of this thread. There are a couple of things that have not been addressed. The bigges issue I have is with the primitive user interfaces! It seems that all the development dollars go into hardware and the software is thrown together after the fact
I have used IslandTime PC and have been very happy with their support! My first two devices where Bullets. The software was generally ok (not good but usable). Both Bullets died a mysterious death. The first was replaced under warranty but the second one expired well past the warranty. They both do the same thing now - lights on, nobody home.
I contacted IslandTime for a replacement but they now sell the 'wave' which seems easier to support. I bought two units, just in case Unfortunately the software that runs the 'Wave' system is several steps below the Ubiquity software for the Bullet. Very frustrating when you can't (or haven't been able to figure out) sort the available signals by status (open or closed) and signal power. Even more frustrating is connecting or disconnecting from a signal and having to wait 20 to 30 seconds (seems like an eternity) until the software gives you feedback that it succeeded (or not).
I am looking around for another system in the future but will pay more attention to the operating system (kinda hard to know until you buy though).
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 20:57   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Just finished reading a good chunk of this thread. There are a couple of things that have not been addressed. The bigges issue I have is with the primitive user interfaces! It seems that all the development dollars go into hardware and the software is thrown together after the fact
I have used IslandTime PC and have been very happy with their support! My first two devices where Bullets. The software was generally ok (not good but usable). Both Bullets died a mysterious death. The first was replaced under warranty but the second one expired well past the warranty. They both do the same thing now - lights on, nobody home.
I contacted IslandTime for a replacement but they now sell the 'wave' which seems easier to support. I bought two units, just in case Unfortunately the software that runs the 'Wave' system is several steps below the Ubiquity software for the Bullet. Very frustrating when you can't (or haven't been able to figure out) sort the available signals by status (open or closed) and signal power. Even more frustrating is connecting or disconnecting from a signal and having to wait 20 to 30 seconds (seems like an eternity) until the software gives you feedback that it succeeded (or not).
I am looking around for another system in the future but will pay more attention to the operating system (kinda hard to know until you buy though).
The Ubiquiti wifi hardware is professional and very flexible, but it takes alot of knowledge to use them right out of the box. Companies like Island Time and Bitstorm have customized the Ubiquiti software (a simpler, friendlier web interface, basically) and created packages that most boat-owners can usually get working with minimal hassle.

I only have experience with Ubiquiti Nanos, Picos and Bullets; I haven't seen a Wave yet. I've installed and configured Bitstorm systems in boats in the past, with good results.

Anyway, 20 to 30 sec to connect to an AP is slow... but it's often the norm that public hotspots are simply too busy to connect quickly.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 05:50   #1345

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The Ubiquiti wifi hardware is professional and very flexible, but it takes alot of knowledge to use them right out of the box.
I certainly don't consider myself a network or computer geek, but I found Ubiquity software reasonably simple to set up and use right out of the box. I did make use of a cheat sheet posted on this thread, but I think I'd have figured it out even without it.