Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 21:14   #1246
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw77 View Post
I'm planning to set my wifi stuff up on the boat this weekend, after reading through some documentation for the Nanostation M2 as well as various threads here one thing is a bit unclear. My impression is that the Nanostation will not set up a wireless network that I can connect to from various devices. Is that correct?

If that's the case, will an Apple Airport Express (or Extreme) Base Station work with the Nanostation?
Yes it will! When configuring it using Airport Utility, set the router mode to None/Bridge. Then connect the Ethernet LAN cable from the NanoStation (after setting that up from a laptop) to the WAN/Internet port on the Apple. After that, the LAN ports of the Apple as well as wifi links to it, will be equal to being connected to the ethernet of the Nanostation.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 21:18   #1247

Boat: Catalina 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Yes it will! When configuring it using Airport Utility, set the router mode to None/Bridge. Then connect the Ethernet LAN cable from the NanoStation (after setting that up from a laptop) to the WAN/Internet port on the Apple. After that, the LAN ports of the Apple as well as wifi links to it, will be equal to being connected to the ethernet of the Nanostation.
Excellent. Thanks for all of the information you've contributed on this subject. It is MUCH appreciated.
Old 05-06-2013, 22:09   #1248

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exactly, the Bullet must be Station&Router&NAT. In bridge mode not all Wifi services will accept you as multiple MAC addresses leak out of your network.
Mac spoofing is very useful. You can make all your machines use the same mac. Also makes many networks accessible (if you spoof the right mac) Watch out for ARP poisoning, some routers try to prevent masquerading.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:25   #1249

Boat: Lagoon 500

Ok, I've got my bullet set up with an AirPort Extreme in bridge mode. I can access the bullet's airos through the AirPort Extreme, but that's it. Maybe I'm a complete moron, but how do I "see" signals picked up by the bullet? Is there an interface? I only see my bridge mode router in the list of available networks. Is there a special software you run? I don't see a list of signals within the airos.

Paul
paulbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:33   #1250

On the AirOS Wireless tab click the Select button next to the SSID field. That brings up the site survey window. Pick the signal you want and click Select at the bottom. You will return to the WIreless screen. Click Change and the bottom then Apply at the top.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45   #1251

Gashmore, thanks a ton. I was using the site survey feature, which brings up the list of channels but doesn't have a UI for selecting. This did the trick. Btw, I'm using the AirPort Extreme in bridge mode per Jedi's suggestion and it works easy. The trick is: one computer has to access the bullet through its static ip first, select the channel, and then it propagates automatically over the router to the boat, and any user can connect. Thanks everyone for your help. So far, so good.
Old 22-08-2013, 14:13   #1252
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon, 420 owners version

Has anyone used the 3 G Communicator from Predict Wind? They advertise range of up to 50 miles. It is on the predictwind.com website.
Thanks
Dave
dptconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:50   #1253
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dave, when someone says their range is "up to" bear in mind that you can communicate with the international space stations, THOUSANDS of miles up in the sky, with only five watts. However, among mortals on the ground the range is more typically less than 10-20 miles limited by line of sight, and often only one mile when there are buildings, etc. in the way.

If they are using cellular 3G, fifty miles ain't gonna happen in real life. Among other things, the cellular carriers usually cut off signals if you are more than 16 miles away from a tower. So these folks may be a bit, ah, overexuberant about their product.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 17:10   #1254

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...and some people will do anything to sell a product...snake-oil.
I have "Island time" Wifi and get a good signal at 2 miles. Works for me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 17:32   #1255

Boat: Beneteau 323
+1 for a WiFi setup from Island Time PC.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 18:54   #1256

Update on us: the bullet works well once you sort the UI issues. (ubiquity's AirOS is pretty horrendous.) but, finding good working wifi is tough. We had some good luck with HotHotHot Spot in Guadeloupe and elsewhere but here, in Grenada, Cruiser's wifi is terrible. And the bullet is only as good as the signal you're reaching. For actual work i find myself packing up a bag and heading to a cafe on shore more often then I would like. We did purchase a 3G data chip, which we use in an old iPhone as a hotspot, and that's wonderfully reliable. I assume the 3G communicator is something similar, and while the 50 mile claim is pretty absurd I spend enough time in view of a cell tower that 3G is a crucial part of our IT set up. If you're looking for offshore, then probably the new pilot system from iridium, which GMN sells, is the best.
Old 22-08-2013, 19:13   #1257

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dptconst View Post
Has anyone used the 3 G Communicator from Predict Wind? They advertise range of up to 50 miles. It is on the predictwind.com website.
Thanks
Dave
If this is 3G cellular comm, then I suspect their claim of 50 miles is as accurate as some of the Wifi system's claims of 10-15 miles.

In other words, one may be able to occasionally make these connections if all the stars align just right...

As for cellular time outs, that is adjustable. We have been in areas were the cell towers are few and far between and have made data connections from distances that aren't usual for denser populations.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 22:50   #1258

Boat: Beneteau 323
Using the Hotspot on our Verizon 3G/4G phone we get Internet access to up to15 miles off populated places. The range could probably be extended by hoisting it up the mast.

With a powerful antenna at the top of the mast 50 miles might be possible, but only if they are using a good carrier network. Verizon has by far the best 3G/4G network in the US.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 06:35   #1259

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

With cell communications, the range is artificially shortened by the telecom companies employing timing on their equipment. So, if the timing of the signals is too long (far distance), the signal is ignored no matter how strong it is.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 06:50   #1260
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
With cell communications, the range is artificially shortened by the telecom companies employing timing on their equipment. So, if the timing of the signals is too long (far distance), the signal is ignored no matter how strong it is.

Mark
They CAN do this, yes, where the cells are close, But in GSM for example cell range is determined by GSM Timing advance , a sliding window and is a function of the slot time. google Timing advance for loads of reading

dave