Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 29-03-2009, 10:42   #106

While others have mentioned the Engenius 362 I prefer a different model.

The Engenius EOC- 3220 ext is about $120 and is weatherproof. This is directional but comes with a little antenna that makes it omnidirectional. This thing will pull in wifi signals that are miles away. I guess it's being replaced by a new unit ( EOC-2610) that's more powerful and even cheaper. But I don't know much about it.

While you could mount this up the mast you only need a few miles line of sight. I attach mine to the stern rail and turn it by hand to use the directional antenna while sitting with my wireless laptop (I've noticed that a standard beer bottle assists this process). I sometimes raise it on a long boat hook in harbor but I honestly don't see much different. I've also heard of people just using a flag halyard to lift it aloft.

By putting the smarts at the antenna this avoids the severe loss of trying to move wifi signals through coax or the length limits of usb cables. You connect using a standard cat 5 network cable that can run 300ft+.

While the Engenius can supposedly be it's own wireless hub the setup is geeky. Instead get a cheap $50 wireless router (linksys, netgear) like you would use on a home DSL setup. Plug the Engenius into this.

You should also be aware that the "golden days" of pulling into a harbor and finding free wifi is going away fast. Encyrption is the norm. You'll be paying someone more often than not.

I didn't know about these guys when I bought mine but I wish I had. They clearly understand boats. No relation.

Engenius wifi setup for boats eoc-322 ext eub-362 ext

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 11:12   #107
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Thanks a lot, I think I will try that
Old 29-03-2009, 15:32   #108

You want the easy way or the post grad geek way?

The simple way: The EOC-3220 has a feature called "Universal Wireless Repeater". You link it to a shore side access point and it gives wifi Internet access to all the computers on the boat. The 3220 also has a simple polling feature that lets you see what access is available and choose which one you want to connect to. Very simple to set up but the downside is that all the router tasks are handled by the shore side router so once out of range there is no network on the boat.
NOTE: The EOC-3610 and the new EOC-2610 is more powerful but it does not have the Universal Wireless Repeater feature.

The Geeky way: The EOC-3220, 3610 or the 2610 can be set up as a bridge. In this configuration you have a router on the boat, wired or wireless, that manages the local network and the 3220 serves the same purpose as your cable or DSL modem at home, to connect an on boat network to any shore side access point for Internet access. This gives you a private, always on local network on the boat that has Internet access when you are in range of an access point.

The downside is that it can take a 3rd degree black belt geek to set it up. Fairly good description of the basic process on the link given previously. The trick, however, which is not covered is to set up the local router so the 3220 doesn't see the router or any of the wifi devices on the boat and connect to itself. It's called the Whopp bird effect. * I have set up a couple. The cost is about $250 for the 3220 and a router and a couple thou for hair transplants and Rogaine.

*Whopp bird, aka Swan Swivel, Zuni bird: A bird that flies in ever decreasing circles until WHOPP! It flies up it's own ass and disappears.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 15:45   #109

Bob Thanks for the link for a cable. I am a bit confused though. Do I need a active cable or passive cable for 15' or so? this is for the engenius 362
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 16:25   #110
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
You shouldn't have any problems with 15' of that cable. I've used it on both laptops and desktops. Beyond 15' without an active cable you're gambling. I've got some computers that the EUB362 will run fine on with 30' of passive cable and some that won't run it at 30'.

Bob
W32PAMELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 19:01   #111

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Motion30,

I had a similar problem with an engenius adapter except that mine did not have to be moved to disconnect. It might work for several hours then just disconnect, or it might work for only a few minutes then diaconnect. If I unpluged the usb cable from the adapter then plug it back in it would work for a while longer before disconnecting again. I replaced the engenius adapter with an alfa 1 adapter and have had no problems what so ever. It might just be the a software conflict between your motherboard, etc. and the engenius software. At any rate I like the Alfa a lot better ...... no problems!!!!!

Good Luck, Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 19:18   #112

Boat: Endevour,sloop,40 Destiny
Send a message via AIM to Jim St.Pierre Send a message via Yahoo to Jim St.Pierre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Stay away from radio Labs. Lots of positive comments on this unit although the 5 mile claim seems a bit exaggerated. We use the Engenius EUB 362 with their omni-directional 8db outdoor antenna and we pick up signals up to a couple of miles away. I am typing this using it at our marina right now. We put the entire unit in a waterproof electrical box and haul it up when we need it.

Attachment 5066

Hello Chuck, Where could I go to find one of these antennas?? Also the EUB 362? Is there something better on the market now??? Thanks, Jim
Old 29-03-2009, 20:21   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
Motion30,

I had a similar problem with an engenius adapter except that mine did not have to be moved to disconnect. It might work for several hours then just disconnect, or it might work for only a few minutes then diaconnect. If I unpluged the usb cable from the adapter then plug it back in it would work for a while longer before disconnecting again. I replaced the engenius adapter with an alfa 1 adapter and have had no problems what so ever. It might just be the a software conflict between your motherboard, etc. and the engenius software. At any rate I like the Alfa a lot better ...... no problems!!!!!

Good Luck, Bill A.
Bill Thanks
With my unit you can see it disconnect when it is moved. I am hoping it is the cable plug but probably not. What is an alfa 1 ?
Old 29-03-2009, 21:37   #114

CarlF and Gashmore -

Great info, thanks.

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 06:21   #115

Motion30,

The Alfa 1 is another wifi adapter similar to the Engenius (except on my computer, it actually works where the Engenius did not). It also is a 500mw instead of 200mw! more info and/or purchase at:

Amazon.com: USB 500mW WiFI Adapter for Wardriving & Range Extension *Strongest on the Market*: Your Store

good luck, Bill A.
Old 30-03-2009, 07:26   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
Motion30,

The Alfa 1 is another wifi adapter similar to the Engenius (except on my computer, it actually works where the Engenius did not). It also is a 500mw instead of 200mw! more info and/or purchase at:

Amazon.com: USB 500mW WiFI Adapter for Wardriving & Range Extension *Strongest on the Market*: Your Store

good luck, Bill A.
Bill
How easy was the software to install? Will it work with vista? It took me two days to get the dam engenius to work with my system. These units are cheap enough I don't mind buyin another
Old 30-03-2009, 07:57   #117

motion30,

I don't know about Vista (info says it will work and simple to install), However, I still us XP. It took me only three or four minutes to get the Alfa up and running on my computer.

again, good luck, Bill A.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58   #118

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Thumbs up Alpha

Got my 500mw Alpha unit yesterday. Vista drivers worked great and it took about 15 minutes total from unwrapping the package to surfing the web. I immediately found 6 WAPs that the embedded adapter in the laptop didn't know existed. This while using just the little rubber-duck antenna that comes with the Alpha.

Can't wait for my external omni antenna to arrive. Can't wait to see the improvement when I take it out of the salon and actually hoist the thing above deck level.

Another inexpensive solution brought to us by Cruisers Forum! How did we ever manage boats before the Internet.....

Old 02-04-2009, 18:35   #119

I sent the engenius unit back due to a faulty plug New one on the way. I wish I had heard about the alpha unit first
Old 03-04-2009, 14:58   #120

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Got my 500mw Alpha unit yesterday.

Could I have a link to that please?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote