Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 08:49   #1141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
The US/Canada version is locked to channels 1-11. The International version can be set to other regulatory regions which allow use of channels 1-13 or 1-14 in the case of Japan. If your cruising will be confined to North America and the Caribbean then the US/Canada version will be fine otherwise you may want the International version.
This isn't quite true. We have thousands in the field operating all over the world. With the US/Canada version, if you select most European countries, you'll have channels 1-13. Japan will have channels 1-14 available for use. Note: Ch 14 is only available for Japan and in B mode and this channel will be disabled if the device is set for G mode operation.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:16   #1142
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlahrkamp View Post
This isn't quite true. We have thousands in the field operating all over the world. With the US/Canada version
You may have thousands operating all over the world but those all came from stock made prior to the current production runs being imported by US Distributors.

The latest Ubiquiti production runs involve have 2 versions of radios, one locked to the US regulatory scheme and one that is open and can have any country code set.

I can't speak to Canadian regulations but in the US the FCC is requiring that only locked radios be shipped to US destinations. Unlocked radios are for export only and I don't know yet what resellers will require from purchasers if export versions are requested.

If anyone looking at Ubiquiti hardware sees a suffix such as "US", "North American" or "US/Canada" after the model name then they should assume that the country code cannot be switched.

Bob
Old 23-01-2012, 11:21   #1143
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The latest Ubiquiti production runs involve have 2 versions of radios, one locked to the US regulatory scheme and one that is open and can have any country code set.
Hi Bob,
You are somewhat correct - my bad. I should been clearer in my reply.

The actual radio devices are identical to previous - they are totally the same hardware - no changes. What's changed is the firmware (now v4). Our last week's incoming shipment of several cases contained the newest firmware and was production date coded Oct 2011. Since we do not use the native firmware that comes with Ubiquiti products, we were not affected by that firmware change restriction, so everything just continued to work like always. We use either US/Can or International targeted devices and once we install our firmware, they become exactly the same in performance and operation.

This firmware change was introduced by Ubiquiti out of concern about misuse of the wifi band through improper power output. Power output over the legally prescribed limit can cause disruption to other systems that share the same unlicensed band (i.e. wireless VHF mics). You've probably noted their generous use of pop-up disclaimers. It's probably just their way of doing a CYA to protect themselves from law suits caused by none caring operators/users.
Old 23-01-2012, 13:43   #1144
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Michael,

Thanks for letting us know that the hardware is not locked. That means that anyone getting a radio set to the "US" country code can choose whatever country the want by either doing a factory reset when they get the unit and then choosing the appropriate country code on their first login or by modifying their configuration file to the proper country code. They will not be able to simply use the GUI drop down list.

The problem that started this change is described in this FCC Document. Frequencies not allowed by the FCC were being used by changing the country code. These frequencies caused interference on airport doppler radar. There was also a finding that the radiated power was excessively high.
Old 23-01-2012, 13:58   #1145

UBNT also supplies a different power cord for the AC power supply depending on the countries (flat or round pins). This used to be the meaning of US versus International.
YachtManuals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:09   #1146
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
That means that anyone getting a radio set to the "US" country code can choose whatever country the want by either doing a factory reset when they get the unit and then choosing the appropriate country code on their first login or by modifying their configuration file to the proper country code. They will not be able to simply use the GUI drop down list.
Hi Bob,
Ya... I knew there was interference happenning. Wasn't aware that there were a lot of people actually enabling settings to use frequencies that were not approved and at higher power levels than legal. Always learning something new.

Regarding the newer Ubiquiti firmware: Won't work... changing the configuration file to another country code (if you knew them) will not work. The firmware is limiting you to two choices: US or Canada. Hard reseting won't do it either since once the firmware restarts, it'll just set one or the two country available and overwrite your modded config settings back to default. I wonder whether the International version firmware includes USA and Canada as country options in it or were they removed from it?
Old 23-01-2012, 14:17   #1147
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Michael,

If that's the case then they have placed the code it in a permanent location not accessible to the user because the latest v4.0.1 firmware allows the changes I mentioned when installed on radios that were shipped with 3.5 firmware. Bob
Old 23-01-2012, 16:31   #1148
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
If that's the case then they have placed the code it in a permanent location not accessible to the user because the latest v4.0.1 firmware allows the changes I mentioned when installed on radios that were shipped with 3.5 firmware.
Hi Bob,
OK... we don't use Ubiquiti firmware, but I had one of the guys pull an older warranty returned Bullet and install 4.0.1 on it. Our observations match yours with that version. My earlier post was based on Ubiquiti installed and shipped v4.0 firmware. A quick look at their support site indicates that v4.0 is no longer available because of an HTTP server security exploit vulnerability which was corrected by v4.0.1. It would also appear that they've allowed country changing to be done as well. Bottom line is that we have not found any hardware changes in the devices we receive and use.

As I said, we don't use the native firmware so we'll just defer this firmware discussion to someone such as yourself who I think can better speak to the topic.
Old 18-02-2012, 13:31   #1149

Boat: Privilege 45 - Tortuguita

It's been a slow thread for the past few weeks, so here's some spice.

Apparently this whole US/Intl thing came about because of an ISP in Utah that was using Ubiquiti 5Ghz products on unauthorized frequencies and power settings that were interfering with Airport Doppler Radar

See this link:
FCC Fines Broadband Operator for Causing Interference to TDWR Operations; Readies Rulemaking Proceeding : TelecomMediaTech Law Blog : Washington DC Lawyer and Attorney for Telecommunications, Federal Communications Commission, FCC, Broadcast, Satelli

Apparently Ubiquiti got an earful from the FCC and placed restrictions on devices sold in the US. It mostly affects the 5Ghz stuff, but apparently the firmware restricts US devices to US bandplans and power settings. It also doesn't allow downgrading to prior AirOS versions.

So this is not a hardware change, just a firmware change, but a very restrictively clever change. Since Bitstorm didn't even know it happened, then I would think changes to firmware from OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Gargoyle, etc still would work.

So, not having access to channels 12 and 13 are no big deal, and apparently the power is not affected by this firmware.

US Ham radio operators are limited to 100 watts, yes 100 watts EIRP, on Channel 1, so there is a valid reason to not limit these devices. I also suspect the commercial users can apply for higher power installations.

So, it looks like we are still in good shape with the US versions being as good as ever for Onboard Wifi.

Cheers, Dave
djdeakyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 15:17   #1150

Boat: PETERSON 44

any thoughts on alpha r32 with a awuh bg version reciever. I have used the alpha usb but not the router.. It will not pull N but given my distance I think thats not happening anyway. For under 100 bucks seems like a nice set up. The usb version has been well so long as I get the antenae topside. With a upgade in the antenae seems like good value for the dollar.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 03:45   #1151

Boat: Swedenyacht 42

I have used an Alfa R36 router together with their Tube U (g) wifi receiver (this is similar to the AWUSO36H except that it is in an IP67 rated water resistant case and can be mounted outside, this is connected to the R36 with an active USB cable. All worked fine in the marina whilst plugged into the mains, with a significantly stronger signal being received and lots of wifi hotspots being seen compared to the laptop on its own. However I seem to have zapped the R36 when I connected it to the boats 12v supply, I have since found out it is polarity sensitive. Has anyone connected an R36 direct to the 12v or used a PoE connection, advice would be appreciated, before I try to connect the new one? The R36 allows iPads and mobile phones to connect to the internet, but the setup program cannot be fully accessed from an iPad and is best accessed under MS Windows or if using a Mac then with the ethernet cable, as some aspects of the setup program do not seem to be accessible under Safari in wifi mode. This only affects setup, in normal use it works perfectly well with Safari. Alfa support has been good, I am awaiting their comments on connecting direct to 12v, but they may not advocate this.
Richard_jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 06:47   #1152

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Must say i'd not noticed that the DC input was 12v as I have an inverter built into my wiring so I can still use mains items when not connected to shore power but i'm not surprised it blew if you connected it the wrong way round. Most electronic items like this are very polarity sensitive, i'm sure Alfa support will say similar.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:03   #1153
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok guys--i am in mexico--need a booster or something soi can get wifi. telcel banda ancha is not compatible with my puters--took em into office and set up a tent for that info, go figger--and so i needs something--this in and out bs is a pita..someone know where to find long raange wifi or a booster here???? i am in la cruz de huanacaxtle, nayarit, mexico, 14 mi north of puerto vallarta.

come on guys--one of ye has to know where i can find this, as well as what to look for....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 07:08   #1154

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Do you have access to a land based postal address? If so, i'd say your best bet is to get something online and delivered from eBay or another online retailer.

This kind of equipment isn't easy to get 'off the shelf', even in the UK it's not a common thing in store so I found online to be the only option.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:18   #1155
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mexico is difficult for ebay as it wont give out info unless ye have a usa fone to use, and postage is waaay prohibitive and takes over a month on next day mailings. shelf is only place at present i can find anything, so i am limited by prohibitive pricing for shipping and availability. i have a temporary address at the marina, but.....
waiting for shipping from usa or anywhere is something i already did -- i get wanderlust in middle of the wait...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote