Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:46   #1021

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
Hey David,

Thanks for the update but can you remind me what the device is again? heh heh I have been so deep into this engine rebuild, hurricane, and monsoon weather that I have neglected my wifi projects.

George

P.S. We might overtake you on our way south if you don't run fast!

Alfa UDBo-nt8

Actual specs on Alfa's site
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38   #1022

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Most of the time when I estimate the distance, it is to the closest habitable piece of land from where we are anchored.
Mark
I do the same thing. When we were anchored in Hog Island, Grenada we were getting WiFi from a resort over on Lance aux Epines which definitely appeared to be a very long way away - at least a mile and a half or two miles. But when I actually measured it on a chart it was only 3/4 nm.
- - I suppose most males have this tendency to estimate something as twice or more bigger than it really is. Sort of like fish stories where the little mullet morphs itself into a whale shark with retelling of the story.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:42   #1023

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I suppose most males have this tendency to estimate something as twice or more bigger than it really is. Sort of like fish stories where the little mullet morphs itself into a whale shark with retelling of the story.
.... I would agree
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53   #1024

Based off the specs, price, drivers and some reasoning. The above mentioned Alfa UBDo-nt8 CPE/AP is probably the AWUS036NH b/g/n USB network adapter with a 12 dbi directional panel antenna all inside a sealed box. That unit is not as good acquiring b/g networks as the older, very popular AWUS036H adapter. See Alfa's own site for the comparison (writeup at bottom of page)

ALFA Network – WLAN, WiFi phone, ADSL, KVM, Bluetooth, PoE Products -- AWUS036NH
Old 11-09-2011, 07:02   #1025

Wow, how about that? A manufacturer that lays of the reality of their product differences in an honest discussion. Refreshing and definitely unusual.
- - I have the AWUS036H and really like it after having used all the previous incarnations of powered marine WiFi antennas by other manufacturers. I was looking lustily at the "2 watt" version by Alfa but now I think I will just stay with my "-H" unit for awhile longer.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05   #1026

I bet if you bought the outdoor unit and took it apart..you could swap out the 2 watt newer for the "better" older 1 watt unit and then reseal it !
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05   #1027

Although..I'm working on a much more versatile all-in-one unit as we speak !
I had the idea while deployed last year.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:48   #1028

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I installed a Ubiquity Bullet along with a 15db omni antenna this year. Most sites I find are encrypted but there are sites that are available that they are free and say so in the log on procedure. Because it is sooooo easy to lock up a wifi site, private or public, my feeling is if it is not locked, it is free. Owners can protect their wifi from others easily if they want to. GEEZ, there is enough BIG BROTHER around now as it it!

Cracking wifi??? Not for me!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56   #1029

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Based off the specs, price, drivers and some reasoning. The above mentioned Alfa UBDo-nt8 CPE/AP is probably the AWUS036NH b/g/n USB network adapter with a 12 dbi directional panel antenna all inside a sealed box. That unit is not as good acquiring b/g networks as the older, very popular AWUS036H adapter. See Alfa's own site for the comparison (writeup at bottom of page)

ALFA Network – WLAN, WiFi phone, ADSL, KVM, Bluetooth, PoE Products -- AWUS036NH
Thats probably true.
But the older one, even if its slightly better, will NEVER aquire an N network.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:03   #1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
That's probably true.
But the older one, even if its slightly better, will NEVER acquire an N network.
True...however, there are not many N's out there...in comparison anyway.

BTW, Alfa has a NEW unit out that is supposed to be almost as good in sensitivity as the older 1 watt NH. Here's the link with a video link inthe description.

Rokland — Alfa AWUS036NHR 802.11n Long Range Wi-Fi USB Adapter & 5 dBi antenna

ALFA Network – WLAN, WiFi phone, ADSL, KVM, Bluetooth, PoE Products -- AWUS036NHR
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19   #1031
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok so i am sitting in my boat in an anchorage in mazatlan, where i should be able to receive wifi from the club nautico office, but it doesnt reach. i am half mile from the office.
what do i use for making the signalz come into my space. reliably.
thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25   #1032

zeehag, some more info would definitely help (what Wifi equipment are you using?..internal wifi card on a laptop..external USB adapter with a small rubber ducky). However, a directional antenna would definitely assist in most cases. Some will argue if you are morred or at anchor..the constant swinging of the boat would make that useless. If you are spinning around a lot,, I would agree. The up and down movement..not so much. The angle of the beam of a directional can be narrow...but it widens as the distance grows. The other great benefit of a directional is rejection of other peoples signals from behind and sides...not to mention focusing your receiver and transmitter properties toward your target (club nautico). I will await more info from you
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33   #1033
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat has a stick kind of device i can plug into my netbook. is in use here at the marina. i go to the anchorage again after stormswithnames season is gone, and i am seeking something that will plug into my netbook to use for signals. sometimes i will be in anchorages with more distance to the signals.
i also have an ethernet cable for other methods of reception, hardwired into the offices.
for the most part i plan on using anchorages, as budgetary constraints leave me with marina fees equal to my income. i dont do marinas if i can help it--i did here as was best locale to avoid named storms.
i am also pretty much technovirginal.
my wifi stick antenna looks exactly like the wave-rv one, but isnt.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:42   #1034

So far for total simplicity I don't think you can beat the Alfa AWUS036H, 1000mwatt unit. On eBay there are hundreds listed with prices/bids running from $10 to $40(which is rather overpaying).
- - Here is one on hundreds of links to outfits selling the Alfa - Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW USB Wireless WiFi Adapter + Antenna. Long-Range
At the bottom of the webpage are variations in antennas and waterproof boxes, etc. I go the 9dbi stand alone antenna with a 1.5m cable that plugs into the Alfa unit. Antenna: 9dBi omni combined w/magnetic base w/cable to RP-SMA(male): Alfa

- - Simplicity means you buy the unit, hook up the omni-directional antenna, plug the USB cable into your computer, load the drivers/utilities and you are up and operating with a long distance powered (1 watt) system. With a powered USB extension cable -5m- you can keep your computer down below and the antenna system up on deck or bimini.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43   #1035

I also have an all in one hoistable wifi solution in the works. This one is totally wireless. Unfortunately the getting-underway-pains are strong now and I have it on the back burner. Once I'm hooked up in the Abacos again I'll have a little time to play with it. My goal is to provide a set of "how-to" manuals in PDF format complete with screen shots and photo illustrations.

George